• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing angle of incidence

Laz

FRIEND
Girdwood, AK.
I am building a Wag Aero 2+2 . I have read some bits and pieces here on the angle of incidence. Are there any opinions as to how it relates to performance? I'm not even sure how to check what the angle is! I have a smart level, but I'm not sure what to referance off on the fuselage. I have read that one of the differances between the cub and PA 14 is the angle. Is it worth messing with? Does "something" have to be done with the tailfeathers if it's changed? Thanks for any advice. This is a great forum!
Bill Lazarus (Laz)

Bill, get yourself the Northland Aviation SuperCub drawing CD-rom.

This will help you answer your referencing questions.

Good Luck.

Dave Calkins

I had a thought regarding the angle of incidence of a cub. Everyone, myself included puts on long gear to achieve a higher angle of incidence so that we can get off shorter and have more prop clearance at three point. According to my calculations 3" gear only changes the three point angle of incidence by .6 degrees.

I am really interested in leading edge slots and slats, in theory they should really help us fly slower, but only at a much higher angle of attack. I for one don't want to land with my nose pointed too far up in the air that I can't see where I am going or what I am about to hit. If I increased the angle of incidence I think the slots and slats would make more since to me. I have been contemplating building new spars out of blanks and modify the wing attach locations. If I lower the front spar hole by 1/2" and raise the rear spar hole by 1/2" I will increase the angle of incidence by approximately 2 degrees. So with the 3" gear and 31" tires, my three point angle of incidence will be approximately 4 degrees higher than a stock cub. I know this will hurt my cruise speed, but I should be able to take more advantage of a slot or slat.

Other than reduced cruise speed, modifying my wing root faring, maybe modifying my struts, and aileron cable routing, what other negative side effects might I encounter? I am obviously talking about an experimental cub.

If you are a traditionalist, please don't reply. I like to experiment and try new things. Has anyone done this before?

wing incidence mystery

When I bought my cub, I discovered that it had been pranged several times without the benefit of a mention in the logs....but the first thing I noticed was that it was a dandy deathtrap. It spun instantly without the curtesy of a stall burble. The horizonal tail produced positive lift under all loading conditions. Trimming and rigging, I discovered that there was no angle of incidence at all...the wing root was absolutely level with the fuse leveled by the plumb bob method..this SHOULD have produced a trim offset in the opposite direction.(?????!!!) But it got well again when the top deck and Atlee strucural mod was installed (after another prang; mine, this time) and I was able to see a slight positive angle of incidence with the plumb bob in the right place.(and, it flies dandy, now)... In theory, it shouldn't have produced that much of a trim change, but it might in your case, as well. So watch out. If you want to get funky, why not mod the wing to produce vortex lift? It might not be so good on takeoff, but vertical landings might be fun. Check out Witold Kasper's work at: http://members.cox.net/twitt/KASPBIBLIO.html -keeping the USA35B airfoil, you'd need a flap to break out of the leading edge to seperate the flow from the wing, and reflex the flaps/ailerons upwards or deflect an upwards trailing edge flap to contain the vortex. Fun! :eek:
p.s. beef up the struts....

I have heard tale of a famous AK aviator who's angle of incidence had been changed evidently with good results. That is all I know.

Hi ksecub

You would be getting real close to the Sherpa's. I am sure you know that. Got a couple of other ideas for you--PM me with your # when you have a few minutes. http://www.sherpaaircraft.com/home.html

Edit--I am a traditionalist---hope you don't mind! I wouldn't be if not for the experimenters in the 30's :wink:

Mark

I know of a -12 with an extended Maule wing and slats that has the rear attach fitting on the fuselage lowered.

Apparrently with spectacular results.

I like your spar modification idea. Simple.

Laz; fobjob's post seems to illustrate what can happen when you mess around with angle of incidence. Maybe his fuselage was tweaked around and one side would up with more or less angle of incidence than the other side? We can't know for sure, but whatever it was must have gotten corrected when the Atlee birdcage was installed. Wonder if it got installed in a jig? But if you bought a 2+2 project because you liked the way it (or the original PA-14 design) flies, then I wouldn't recommend changing the AofI of the wings OR the tail. I would in fact recommend you take the utmost care to insure that the mount points for all the surfaces are right where they are supposed to be according to the drawings. If the fuselage was tacked or finish welded when you got it, it was probably done in a jig. On a rebuild project, the first important task is to make sure the fuselage is RIGHT. That is exactly why the "good" rebuilders jig their fuselages whether they are actually replacing tubes or not. You need a really good goal in mind about exactly what you would be trying to accomplish by changing the AofI and a darn good understanding of exactly what effect your change will make to go any way except by the numbers. You might just spoil an otherwise really good airplane.

ksecub; I have to speak up on this. If you put twelve foot extended gear under your airplane, you wouldn't change the Angle of Incidence of the wing one bit. All you are doing is changing the angle of ATTACK at three point attitude and the maximum AOA you can "get" when rotating. That is why long legs and big tires doesn't change (much) the flying characteristics of the Super Cub. Changing the AofI will definately effect the flying characteristics of an airplane (whether that is good or bad isn't my point). Piper wasn't no Dummy, and that relationship was exactly the tradeoff Piper wanted in the Super Cub, and that's what he got by setting that AofI. You may want different, and that and other experimentation is okay-fine with me (just not on MY airplane). I like the way mine flies.

Boinng!

Well, thanks for jogging my brain, the final neccessary synaptic connections were made, and I finally figured out what happened to my cub....the pitching moment of the airfoil dominates. If you increase the angle of incidence, the consequences are: more aft pitch trim; you will see the elevator deflected upwards.....more turns of trim change required between cruise and landing...more trim drag....higher loading of the horizontal stab which MAY cause a stabilizer stall on a slow approach with forward CG conditions. (Which would put you into the dirt pretty fast)

Hey....

What about some kind of device that would vary the AOI of the wing on the fuse so you could see out the front while you are flying in the region of reversed command (ie behind the power curve)?????

An AOI in-flight changer would be nice (ala F-8 Crusader) , but of course very complicated.

Wingie, I disagree with your statement that long gear and big tires don't change the performance of a Cub, I think they make a grand difference in short performance......... T.O. AND Landing performance.

Also, It took me a moment or two to remember that the 2+2 has a fixed-incidence horizontal stabilizer, with a tabbed-elevator for pitch trim.

Our Cubs have quite an advantage over that type system with our variable-incidence hor. stab.

The trade-off that Piper got with the -12 and -14's incidence setting was greater cruise-speed over the -18. Likely from the way the air flows around the aft fuselage differently than the -18. The flight charachteristics of the -18 are "just fine" and I believe the incidence of the PA-14/12/2+2, if set as the -18, would do nicely. Others believe the same.

Wingie, thanks for your cautions.

Wingie,

Sorry for using the terms AOA and AOI so interchangeably, I assure you I know the difference. I do think you got my point though. Thanks for you input, it all helps in my decision making process.

To change or not to change.

Hi Wingie. I think you should be saying Taylor was no dummy. Piper only contiuned what Taylor started. Some of the things Piper did change were not for the better. There is a STC that should be out for the -18 within the next year that will probably not change your thinking, but the facts will be presented that (Piper was not always right). If you choose not to change your thinking everyone else will cruise right by you. (literally). :) :) Jerry.

ksecub; maybe it's me that should apologize. And yes, I'm pretty sure I fully understood what you meant from what you said. I didn't mean to sound so picky, but its possible someone might learn something wrong (and surely someone else would have hammered you no doubt). :)

Big AK; Biggie, be specific. I never said long legs and tire tires didn't change the "performance" of the Cub. I said "flying characteristics" and I put in a (much). Surely a higher angle of attack in ground effect or in the air will result in increased low speed performance. Up to the point of too hign an AOA. But I also didn't mention the effects on stall with Baloneys on the axles. Even now I'm not saying good or bad one way or the other. The point was meant in regards to the discussion on angle of incidence, no more. So sorry, but there just isn't any source for argument there. But you hit the other part right on the head. Everything you do to an airplane design is a tradeoff. I don't think I was Flaming when I said "I like the way mine flies." But I'm not in a never-ending quest after 20ft takeoffs or 450mph cruise speeds. If I really wanted more performance in those areas, I'd own a JetRanger and a Gulfsream. And my fixed gear piston popper would still be a ragwing Piper. I didn't realize the 2+2 used the Wagabond type trim system. Now THERE is something I'd look into if I were building one- the jackscrew instead of a tab! :) :)

Okay, Jerry; As long as we're being CORRECT, what Piper did right was take one Jarbonneau fella onto his payroll. That's the man that brought into being Taylor's pretty good design and brought that aeronautical knowlege over to the Piper plant. And others came, too. I sure didn't mean Ole Man Piper did the hands on design work all by himself. But a dollar says if if the Ole Man didn't like the way it flew for the mission it was on, it wouldn't have gotten built. Another dollar says Taylor may have THOUGHT the Super Cub was the airplane he wanted to build in the first place. But he didn't. I think I've heard the rumblings about what you are hinting at about this STC you mention. But I think youre right, it won't change the way I feel about the airplane I own right now. Already lots of people leave me in the dust. Just understand this. It doesn't bother me. Maybe I'll try it, and maybe I'll even like it. Agreed, Piper wasn't always right. He shortened the wings and made a better airplane (for a different mission, now) and then he put a training wheel on it and wasted it. But that don't change what a Super Cub is, has been, done or gone. One thing funny about engineering progress. You might invent a ceramic coating to keep a oilburner tailpipe from melting and get more push with more heat. You might invent some spaceage fabric that when covered with epoxy goo does the same or better job than aluminum. By all the technology was figured out sixty years ago. Very little is new. All that changes is the application (there's the trade off) and the physical limits (there's the technology). Will there ever be a better airplane than the Super Cub? Sure. No doubt. But I might be getting too old for new tricks, so them new and better ideas may all just pass me by one right after another. And I'll give every one a friendly wave. But I'm not worried about anybody taking me out back and putting me out of my misery, cause I've gone flyin.

Once, while having a discussion (friendly argument) with Atlee, he asked me "...don't you think Mr. Piper knew what he was doing...?..."

This coming from one of the guys who's STC'ed so many mods for the Cub.

Ironic. and I don't think he meant literally, Mr. Piper, but the company.

Do you really believe that Piper built the cub perfectly? Do you think that nothing can be improved on the cub? I have never seen anything or anyone other than my wife and kids that is perfect without need of a little improvement. I know I could use some improvement myself. Maybe he did built it perfectly, but how will you know if you don't challenge it? Come on people lets pull out heads out of the sand.

I think Wingie's just making sure that some neophyte doesn't misconstrue our "thinking aloud" and hurt himself.

I agree that we should be careful.........But we're NOT talking about making our Cubs into V-22 Osprey here. We're talking about tweaking a little here and a little there on an established design in order to skew or average it's performance more toward our preference of a flight envelope, and not the envelope of the "every-man's airplane" that Piper as a company envisioned. Right? Right!!

OK, continue the thinking aloud.

Thinking Aloud

I forgot another change that increased angle of incidence would produce: increased pitch stability :D ....seriously, though, why not turn some turnbuckles and simply rig the ailerons and flaps down somewhat to enhance the low speed end of the range....some of you guys who seriously competed in the short field contests probably have a lot to contribute to this thread....but watch for an increase in tip-stall characteristics with too much down deflection in ailerons. I once knew of a cessna 172 a friend of mine bought in Alaska, then ferried it down to SLC. It had big tires and the flaps and ailerons rigged downwards a scarcely noticable amount; it was the SLOWEST dang 172 I had ever seen. I'd love to hear from someone who has done this, OR rigged them negative to enhance the high speed end....

I didn't think the trim tab( on the 2+2) was a very good idea either. I went with the jackscrew and yoke. I also see (from the Northland CD) that the datum line on the 18 is different from the 2+2, which is the same as the 12/14. Since the AOI of the wing references from the Datum (??) I wonder how that changes things, if any? I was under the impression that the Datum line is rather arbitrarily chosen during the design phase as a base line to work around?
My head hurts! I think i'll go back to welding for awhile.
Laz

Angle

If you change the wing angle of incident to match the PA-18 then you also need to adjust the horizonal stabilizer up and down travel to match the PA-18 as well. You do this by moving the upper longerons where they are welded to the tail post. Don't do one without doing the other. Crash

It would be interesting to compare the J5 to the Cub as it had the same AOI I wonder if they had the same relative tail modeled after the J3

Mark

J-5 AOI

AKPA18-

Are you implying that the AOI on the J-5 is the same as the j-3 and p-18? Just curious because I thought that it was the same as the PA-12......???

thanks

Tim

The angle of incidence on the J-5 and the PA-12 are the same (Same Basic Fuselage) and is different from the J-3 and PA-18.

Frank

AOI

:crazyeyes: I was blurry eyed when I posted that, I meant to say "horizonal stabilizer". The rear mount with connecter tube is mounted to the the upper longerons and moving the longerons up and down effect the amount of trim you have. On the PA-12/14 the upper longerons slope up 3/4" from the last cluster to the tail post. The PA-18 they slope down 1 1/2" to the tail post. You first level the plane like you would for rigging the wings, then hang the stabilizers with the trim system assembled. Run the trim all the way up and all the way down checking both ways with a Smart level. Make it match the PA-18's. This is something you would only do on an experimental. Crash

Thanks Frank

My memory isnt' too good sometimes. Sorry for the misinformation behindpropellers. I had just always thought the J5 A and J5 B were the same as an 18 or real close and the J5 C was like a 12. But I don't really remember reading it.

Mark

Hi,
I had heard that the J-5's rear wing attach was 3/4" lower that the -12.
That may be on the A or B model. It's been years ago that I had heard
that.
Dave.

Crash,
Thanks for the clarification on the changes at the stabilizer, I wasn't sure what would have to happen back there with an incidence change. My wing fittings are already welded up to stock specs. as far as incidence for the 2+2 (same as the 12/14?) so I won't be changing them anytime soon! I used the Northland CD for the jackscrew assembly (thanks Dave!) .
Can you , or anyone else in that vast pool of knowledge that is supercub.org., tell me what the specs. are on the PA14 horizontal stabilizer, as far as angle up and down? Also elevator up and down travel? I would like to check against the plans.
I have to say, this is a great site! :)
Laz

Back