• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trim Problem

mam90

I have a J-3 converted to a PA-11; 0-200, PA-18 electric, interior, etc. I just put PA-18 tail feathers on per Roger Borer's STC. I flew it for the first time tonight and noticed that I now run out of nose down trim in cruise. I didn't have this problem with the J-3 tail........I checked the jackscrew travel and all looks well. Any suggestions?

Look at your elevator trim yoke (that "V" shaped thing that jack screw moves up and down). Does the "V" piont down like it is really supposed to, or did you fall for the mistake in the drawing in the parts manual that shows it pointing up?

I know of numerous Cub rebuilds that have fallen into this trap. It is a pain in the @%# to fix, but can be done by slicing the fabric over the jack screw and screwing it up and out of the trim yoke (you can' t do it without cutting the fabric, there's just not enough slack in the fabric). Turn the trim yoke over and screw the jack screw back in.

Good luck!

John Scott

Mark D.,

Yes, I just installed the bungee - I was wondering if it was applying too much "up" pull with tespring.

I will check the yoke, also.

Mark M.

If everything else checks out, you may want to try a lighter spring, or lengthened cable to apply less tension. It may take a few trys to find what is right for your particular airplane.

Back