• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

160 HP Oil cooler problem

Goodman

Prineville, Oregon
I moved the oil cooler from the front to the rear baffle , and now it runs too hot. Is the stc for the 160 hp only good if the cooler is in the rear, or can I go back to the stock cooler?

Moving the oil cooler

Did you replace the oil cooler with the new lightweight aluminum style? Typically you will see lower temps with any engine when you install the lightweight cooler.

160 hp oil cooler

Nathan IT was a new cooler I don't know if it was aluminum or not . #20002a Larry

Oil Cooler

My rear oil cooler on a O-320-160hp runs too cool. I have to install a shunt plate to close off some of the air to it. You have something wrong. Crash

I went from the front cooler to the back, aluminum, cooler on my 150 HP with the following results:

In warm weather, 80 or so, my oil temperature went up about 20 degrees.

In cold weather, 20 or so, my oil temperature went down about 20 degrees.

Later, I had the engine overhauled to a 160 HP and found no difference it the oil temperatures.

The guy who overhauled my engine said, " if the oil temperature is in the green, don't worry".

If I get in a long climb, I do run the mixture full rich and it helps keep the temperature down.

My opinion is that the rear cooler setup is a bogus affair and I regret doing it. The only good that came from it was lightening up the Cub a few pounds.

160 oil cooler

Bogus is the answer , the thing didn't over heat with the stock set up . I think the stc for the 160 install called for the oil cooler move. I'm moving it back ,just wonderd if there is any papers to leave cooler stock with the 160install.

Larry...........I think it's your cooler. I moved mine to the back and installed a liteweight Niagara cooler and like Crash said mine runs too cool most of the time. I installed a cabin adjustable oil temp control.

I sent mine to a rebuilding shop and had it checked out, no problems found.

There are some 160 HP's around with the cooler up front but I don't know how it was done as far as FAA approval.

Since I run mostly in cooler temperatures, it isn't much of a problem. I cover it front and back in the winter and still barely get 170 to 180 degrees on the oil. With an 80 degree outside temperature, it runs about 210. No doubt at 95 degrees OAT it would be overheating.

I'm running the Niagara. Didn't know they came in different sizes. It is a pretty tight fit as it is but maybe if it were a little thicker would help.

I'm real unhappy with the results of the rear mounted cooler. I even put in new baffel seals and the cooling lip. When I added the lip, it did lower the oil temps by about 15 degrees.

I built a new set of baffleing for a 150hp PA16 and installed the cooler on the rear baffle. It ran a little warmer than I prefered. Checked the calibration of the gauge by boiling water and used a candy themometer. An old timer was at the hanger that day and told me to move the cooler farther back from the cylinder. I trusted his advise and made a new rear baffle that moved the cooler further from the cylinder and it brought the temps down to where I thought they should be. Prior to that we ran a pitot line in front of the cooler and a static line behind the cooler and connected them to an airspeed indicator to check the pressure differential. The higher the better. Moving the cooler farther aft made more of a venturi effect and resulted in cooler oil temps. If I had it to do over again I would use the next size larger.

diggler said:
If you got the 20002A its to small. The 20003A will fit.

I checked and sure enough, mine is the 2A.

Does anyone have the measurments on the 3A? Is it just thicker or what?

any help would be appreciated.

Back