• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual Revision

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Got Lycoming Service Letter L114AL in the mail today. It appears they have revised the Direct Drive Overhaul Manual Part No. 60294-7. The latest revision is 60294-7-9. The reivision is available for $15 opposed to the new price of $65 for the complete manual. Lycoming went up on all of their OH and Parts manuals. Didn't see any revisions on any parts manuals that would effect our Cubs.

I got f#@&ed. $16 to replace a page that had the captions reversed on the two figures.

Page 7-10B top illustration caption used to read "Figure 7-12D. Details of Crankshaft Dowels", now it reads "Figure 7-12C. Section Thru End of Crankshaft Showing Driven Height of STD-2078 Dowel".

Page 7-10B bottom illustration caption used to read "Figure 7-12C. Section Thru End of Crankshaft Showing Driven Height of STD-2078 Dowel", now it reads "Figure 7-12D. Details of Crankshaft Dowels".

They screwed up in 1993, caught their screw up 10 years later and charge me $16. I'm going over to the "Rants & Raves".

Thanks Steve - how bout we all chip in a quarter next time we see you - for being the guinea pig. You ought to come out close to even in a few years. :bad-words:

(you mean there's a 1993 issue) :oops:

Revised June,1993 was on the bottom of the old page. They wanted to sell me a new manual for $65 so I would be sure and get all the future revisions. I told them I would just monitor my Service Bulletins, Letters & Memos for any revisions. You would think they would post the stuff on line so you could stay up to date. Seems like if we had the data readily available, we could do the work right and they would have less liability. Go figure.

Complained to Lycoming today about charging me $16 for a revision that entailed one page that they mis-typed when they printed it in 1993. I figured I was pissing in the wind but they are fixing to release a new OH manual in a few weeks and will send me one at no charge. I will keep you posted.

There are 9 revisions dating back to 1966. The oil pump illstration still calls out and illustrates the sintered iron impellers. To do everything right you have to research the service bulletins, letters, instructions and memos. What a pain in the butt.

Steve Pierce said:
There are 9 revisions dating back to 1966. The oil pump illstration still calls out and illustrates the sintered iron impellers. To do everything right you have to research the service bulletins, letters, instructions and memos. What a pain in the butt.

:OT% ... Steve, good article in this morning's Aero-News...

Back