• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

WTK Use of house latex paint on Supercubs??

superbear

I would like to know if wnyone has used house latex paint on exp cubs??
Also has anyone used "Airtech" products and if so what results have you had.
Please e-mail me with any information you might have.
Thanks

... and is it guaranteed for 20 years like the stuff on my house?

sj

I used AirTech in 1999 to cover a Cub. I really liked the product. I found it east to use and not so labor intensive due to less sanding required. The product has held up well.

The only drawback that I can tell you about is that you need a good fresh air breathing supply set up when you paint (no "charcoal" respariator masks).

The process is different from any of the other covering processes so I had a bit of a hard time coming to grips with that. The instructions are so simple, you just have to follow them exactly and not do something you "learned" using another process. Like any process AirTech does have its' "tricks" that one has to learn, but there is very good product support - not from the factory, but someone who installs about 1000 yds of fabric per year.

I an convinced that repairs could be easily made and the finish blended so as to hide the spot spray.

I put a link to AirTech in the web links section of this web site. I highly recommend you take a look at it, especially tha FAQ section. Read the "Fabric Covering For Dummys" link. (NOT SUGGESTING YOU ARE A DUMMY!!!) This is good information.

John Scott

I've used Air-Tec and the glue goes on real good and paint shots real nice but haven't seen the long term effects. They used to have a real fancy PA-12 on display at Sun & Fun and OSH. Would like to see it now if it has 500 hrs on it. As far as house paint I have seen plenty of home builts painted with it and it looks like shit literally. I would hate to cover a nice airplane and paint it like that. I just don't see the savings. Yea the paint is cheaper but how often will you have to tear the plane down and recover or paint. Not me.

The PA-12 that you mention was done by Phil Kite of Kiteair in Alberta Canada. You could get in touch with Phil at www.kiteair.com

I believe that the "round the world" Super Cub owned by the Dempsters of Washington State is finished with AirTech. This would be a good airplane to look at to see how things are holding up.

Also, the last 100 Super Cubs from Piper were finished with AirTech. Anybody know where any of these planes are?

While I think I understand your meaning of "with 500 hours on it" I would say that just calendar time is as important.

John Scott

House paint

:howdy I've got two of the last 100 super cubs. :down :down They both had to be recovered. Probably Sears best house paint would have worked better than what piper used. :up The one with the best recovering job was done by Gary Williams Greenville, Tx (poly fiber & aerothane) Really nice work.

Back