• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tires \ borer prop

c180

lone grove okla
you guys i hate to keep bothering everyone with may questions but i have to ask/ im running 8:50s and i got the fever for bigger tires and borer prop give me your thoughts guys please ! i talked to bill duncan this week about his bushwheels and he is a very nice and helpful guy i really enjoyed talking with him and learned a lot but i just am haveing a hard time making myself give up that kinda money for these tires and i need your opinion first of all im in oklahoma not alsaka soo im really not doing what they do with these but i guess its the kid in me ! and the goodyears 26s are soo much cheaper soo what do i do guys ?????and i have a cruise prop 74/56 and im wanting the borer but im told the stc makes you upgrade your tire size anyway i this right ! you cant run 8:50s with a borer anyway is this right or wrong ??? but im wanting to upgrade my tire size anyway but dam it seems either do both or nothing !!!!!!!!!tell me guys sosososo :bad-words:

Murph is running a borer on 26" Goodyears. Good combo for the money. I don't remember reading anything in the STC for the borer about having to run tires bigger than 8.50s. They aren't much smaller than 26" Goodyears. The Goodyears wear good on asphalt. I maintain a Husky on 26"GYs that have lasted a couple of years flying 200 hrs ayr.

Borer STC

The "Borer" STC requires 9-1/2" from ground to axle center height. With enough air in my 8.50x6's they are just tall enough.

does it scare you when you do a wheel landing or have you ever had any close calls ? with the 850s

Since I can't see how close the prop is to the ground when I land, up until now it hadn't "scared" me (but thanks for the idea it probably will now).

Seriously though, I've been flying it off of gravel strips and gravel bars exclusively for the last 150 hours, and I've only picked up one nick in the prop which had to be filed out. The usual small abrasions that get cleaned up at annual time but nothing more serious. The one big difference I noticed though is on skis in deep powder it does run down in the powder enough to have abraded the paint somewhat.

one more question did you tell the difference in the prop verses the cruise prop ?

Eric
I got a 8443 and 25" goodyears with the 55' I bought jan 02. Put them both on as soon as I got it home. My stc says the axle needs to be 10 1/2 " high for the prop. The prop hanging on it was a 7453, indicated went from around 100-105 to 85-90 with the borer. Climb out is awsome with the borer.

Usually I land in the grass along the runway if there's hard surface. I did wheel land on a hard surface once, right after I got it, and felt it pitch forward a bit when I touched - more wieght to get spinning. Don't do that anymore, but it wasn't a problem.

Have landed a lot more places with the 25's than I wouldv'e with the 8:00-4's. Started with 10psi in em, hadn't checked the pressure, and a friend was bitching about how hard it was to move out of the way of his airplane, checked the press and they had 4psi. The low pressure never caused a problem, and it left a track in the mud maybe 3" wider.

Keep your eyes open for a used set of tires, and do a lot of calling for a used borer. I heard cub crafters sometimes had 0-320's from hp upgrades, maybe they'd have a lead on a prop.

Definitely do the prop and tires - you'll be howlin like a coon hound on take off and climb.
Wilbur

P.S. It even got better after I added the micro's.

hey i really want to thank you for your comment and tell me are you not wheel landing now since you put the big tires on ? because of all that drag ?

Eric
I just don't prefer to land on hard surface in general, and don't need to wheel land unless I've got a strong crosswind to deal with and want to plant it. The three point allows me to come in slower, maybe hanging it if I'm playing or want to get stopped sooner. I've got the stock brakes, and really haven't used them a lot to stop short on the mains. Maybe a little after it's slowed down and there's some wieght on them after a 3 point. Wheel landing in any situation isn't a problem with the tires.
Wilbur

the goodyears are they much taller than the 850s i hear that they really not much differance

With the Atlee 3" extended gear mod and with the Borer 74/41 and 8.5" the 10.5" is no factor I'm assuming. Any experience with this combination?

i havent yet experienced it but im fixing to get them two mods im currently running with no gear extensions and a 74/56 cruise prop and a set of 850s but some say there nearly no difference in the 26s verses the 850s in height ? and steve tubbs recommended the 43 pitch borer with my set up ! im running 0-320 narrow deck . i want to also get the big tires but im so confused and for what they cost i really dont know which way to turn but if i get the prop upgrade i dont want to chance a wheel landing and be to short off the ground ! :bad-words:

The 26" blimp tires(goodyears) are bigger than 8.50s, believe me. They are also alot better off airport tire.. They don't compare to airstreaks or bushwheels but they only cost 1/3 as much. I you're not into alot of off airpoart stuff, the goodyears are a good comprimise.

Don D

Just wondering if anyone knows the diameter of the various tires, would like to know the difference in size between the 26 goodyears and the 8.50's.

I went from the 26" goodyears to the 31" bushwheels and I can now wheel land as short as I can three point, in fact, it is much easier - and I feel much safer - to wheel it that three point it. Visibility, control, etc, etc.

I have never been worried about hitting the prop, even with the itty bitty tires, except when too much brake was applied...

sj

steve i got to know will these 26 goodyears be better than the 850s cause this ole country kid hates to give up over 3ks as bad as i would love to have them and i know there a better tire im convenced of that but still april 15th is getting closer and thats uncle sam day for me and im at least wanting bigger than the 850s ! for this borer upgrade

Eric,
look at it this way 3K on tires or 3K + for tires that might slip sheer valve stem prop strike engine tare down etc.... I would and have already gone Bush Wheels it might hurt at first but what a diff, SJ you should have some more input on this subject what are the big bennies of your Bushwheels over the BLIMP tires since you got them?

Cole

Unless you are going to be landing in the really rough stuff save your money and find some Goodyears. From what I'm reading in the posts they will do everything you want to do. If you have a prop strike youv'e done something wrong and the bigger tires are not going to save you. Use the search button and check the other posts there has been a lot of discussion about tires.

C180

I have a 150 hp cub and tried to run a 84/44 pitch bore prop on it. I found the pitch to great to allow my engine to build power on the ground for short takeoffs. I felt the plane performed no better then the standerd cruise prop in that configuration. I Pitched the prop to 41 and am vary happy with the performance I would recomend you not pitch a prop higher then 42 for your 150 hp engine.

The 850s hold up great on pavement and so do the goodyears. The bush wheel has obvious size advantage but it also has a softer sidewall that helps suck up the bumps, there is no valve stem to be torn off if the tire spins on the rim this allows you to run the tire pressure lower when you decide to go into a rough strip.

The bush wheel is a far better tire for off airport landings the question you have to ask yourself is will you be doing that type of flying? If you have a cub my guess is you will be tempted! I bought the bushwheels because they will save me money on repairs in the long run.

I went out and put a tape measure on the tires I have laying around right now. These measurements are approximate, (fingers and brain were getting numb, it's really cold this morning).

8.50 = 21"
26 Goodyear = 24"
26 B. Wheel = 26"
29 B. Wheel = 29"

A Borer with 8.50's and stock gear is fine if you are not in the ruff. I'm pretty sure the Cub Crafters STC allows this setup, and I think their Borer STC allows the most pitch/gear options.

Keep the Borer pitched low, if you've got it, you may as well use it for it's intended purpose.

Prop Clearance

Amen Mark,

Keep the prop pitched low! We like 82/41 for the 150 and the 180 and about 43 or 44 pitch for the 160HP.

With our Borer STC, you do need to increase prop clearance over a stock Super Cub, However most cubs already qualify.

You need EITHER 8:50 or bigger tires OR 3" or more extended gear.

We really really like the 26" Goodyear tires. The are a VERY good all around tire and are much better for the off pavement stuff than 8:50's. And they hold up very well for those who still go home to pavement at night. I consider the 29 and 31 in bushwheels a pure "off pavement" tire. (and boy are they a lot of fun!) but I have reservatoins about recomending landing on pavement with them. So much surface area grabs the pavement, Yikes!

As far as the Goodyear slipping? about 90% of the cubs that leave here have the 26's installed (40+ sets last year) . . . we run them about 7-8 pounds pressure and we have NEVER seen one "slip" and ruin the valve stem.

CC also has borer props in stock, and McCauly tells me I should be able to beat any dealer's price. They come with our STC which does give more options for tire/gear/pitch options.

We would tell anyone (no matter where you buy the prop and tires and gear) that the best thing you can do for a Super Cub's performance is to install the Borer prop and increase the angle of attack by lengthening the gear or installing bigger tires. Then of course there is more HP . . .

Have fun!

Nathen,

With all the improvments that have been made to the Bushwheel in the last 3 years the difference is day and night, what used to be a 48lb 31" Bias tire is now a 30.5 to 31lb Kevelar Radial multi purpose tire for the true "BUSH PILOT" to the weekend warrior , which the old style Bushwheel was not and I only recomend limited asphalt use for the older tires with the softer tread compounds and dont take this wrong but what was the Good Year "BLIMP" tire made for?......... nuff said.

So two TOP OF THE LINE products the Cub Crafters "TOP CUB" and the Alaskan Bushwheel, the BEST of bolth worlds!! :cheers

Wup Winn
AK Bushwheel

c180, If you don't want to experience real off airport flying then go for the goodyears. Bushwheels versus Goodyears or 850's? Apples Vs Oranges! This has been hashed over many times. You are right about the price, but trust me and (ask SJ:) The bushwheels will open a "whole new world"!! Fact is you will probably wonder just why we "taxpayers" are funding the paving of all the runways? with real tundra tires, everything that is below you in excess of 200ft is a landing option if you can get onto it. If you intend to fly off airport but don't really care about the "max performance" then you don't need tires larger then the 26in BW's. Also the prop decision is a "no Brainer" the borer prop (if balanced is far smoother then the that other stick you are using. (get a husky if what you care about is cruise) RIGHT MATT?? I would recomend the Radials if you have the cash, AND a Borer 82/44, if you want a little more pull down the road, have it repitched for a buck fifty.

Back to the Bushwheel,the 70 durometer rubber will hold up fine on pavement but they aint truck tires like the Goodyears! or the 8:50's. (sorry Nathan) but the Goodyears provide next to no shock dampening to the airframe. That alone justifies the difference in cost! ($140K airplane/ $3500 tire) (no brainer again)

c-180-find someone that has the tires/prop combination you are considering and fly with them-- make your own decision!

Tim

See them boys from NY know what it takes to keep our economy moving forward! :usa (now they can handle the rough times and have the power to get out of it too!

You won't be sorry! Let us know what your first impression is?

Tim

"get a husky if what you care about is cruise" -- you're gettin' good at this, now if I can just get you to remember to add "and economy too," you'll get an A+!

MM
having twice the fun on a 1/3 less gas!

ok guys im am so confused ! but i know now what im going to do is go to the texas fly in and see if someone like steve or someone will let me ride too see the difference guys i think thats what i need to do cause ive just heard doos and donts not saying any of you are right or wrong i just need to see what fits my plane best ! know you guys all talking about this im counting on you to show up ! you guys have all been so helpful for any questions ive had ! steve i want to tell ya i love this web site it just automaticlly comes up on my pc ! im am going thru a very expensive annual right now and haveing lots of with draws from my cub being gone but just gives me a lil more c180 time ! but im planning on getting it back sometime next week and ill be up an running waiting for the texas fly in remmember you guys ive told you all! any of you needing or want to come to my place ive got good grass stripp here at my house your all welcome to come before the fly in and camp out or stay at my house or my dads or so on we have room for all of you all will treat you good ! four miles west of the ardmore oklahoma vor ! i promise you guys my dad can cook the best ribeye in southern oklahoma and thats a promise !!!!!!!!!! :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: so its your lose if you dont show guys :wink: 8) :drinking:

Back