• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gear Leg Covers

Marc Olson

GONE WEST
Seattle, WA
I've seen -18s and -12 with both fabric on the gear and not.

What are the pros and cons of covering? Seems like one advantage is reduced drag, but at the cost of potential damage if used on gravel or dirt strips.

Thoughts?

The big problem with covering the gear...in my opinion is that it looks kinda moronic...however, that is probably because mine are uncovered and that is what I am used to.

Bill

Marc, if the gear is covered you or someone else will eventually put a foot through it! I like it uncovered so I can constantly see the bolts, the condition of the tubing. It does increase the Drag a little but, hey if you want to go fast buy a husky!

If the fabric is on it leave it for now and when it gets ratty rip it off and repaint and your done!

Tim

PS: I most likely won't be able to get to BLI on Monday, but sounds like you are well on your way to owning the plane, (we will get together real soon, Do what you have to to make it a "right deal". Let me know if I can help further.

Back