• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hydrosorb testing-Repair-Replacement

PA12driver

Battle Ground, WA
Can anyone tell me if there is a good test for the Hydrosorbs? can they be tested with teh bungees installed? Who other then Univair makes a replacement? and what is the current skinny on the Bungees? (natural coldweather, synthetic? availability, cost etc.

Thanks,

Tim

PA12driver said:
Can anyone tell me if there is a good test for the Hydrosorbs? can they be tested with teh bungees installed? Who other then Univair makes a replacement? and what is the current skinny on the Bungees? (natural coldweather, synthetic? availability, cost etc.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim...

If you're going to make a change, don't forget about Burl's AOSS or ASOSS or whatever... They look like the future of bungees...

They do sound good, however I don't think he has got the STC done yet? Mine are fine, I am trying to find out for a friend that has over 3000 hours on his 79 cub, in just the last 2 months he has noticed that the bungees seem to work more and both him and I were wondering how to check the Hydrosorbs, (if they are not leaking, is there any other test?)

Tim

PS: did you put them VG's on the tail?

PA12driver said:
PS: did you put them VG's on the tail?

Not yet... Today didn't go to well... Took off, tach quit, landed... Changed tach, took off, landed, taxiing back, reset trim, hit a little resistance, cable fell off jack screw, spent two hours fishing out cable and reinstalling... Grrr...

Back to the hydrasorbs?

Steve Pierce, will you be so kind to post those part numbers from the Maeco unit you have? ( I misplaced the scratch pad)? Also if anyone else has a "unit" laying around please to the same?

I spoke to Bill Robeck, Atlee Dodge, Steve Pierce, Mark Drath and a few others and no one can find any info on "how" a person can tell if a unit is still good, (except that it is not bent or leaking? It just seems "ridiculus" to spend $641 apiece for a part that couldn't be more then a $40 dollar auto part (Piper made nothing special) IE: delco regulators??

I remember 20 years ago or so that Monroe made the Units, then Maeco, now who???

Thanks for any input!

Tim

Hi Tim

I went through this about a year ago. I hate to say that what I could come up with is that Piper did have this part made special. The p/n of the shock unit it self is from Univair is U487-558-1. The complete assembly is U12998-003. I have both a used one and a NOS one and I'll check the stamped p/n on the units later today.

MAECO is an acronym for Monroe Auto Equipment Company.

Gabriel (sp) also made them for Piper at one time. They were all made to piper specs. and I could not find anyone interested in making a small batch run for myself for use on my own personal aircraft. (experimental)

Matt

Matt,

Thanks, would you or anyone have any idea how one would spec the rebound resistance??

Tim

Hi Tim

Si and I were talking today and we can't recall ever reading anything about what sort of tests for determing good or bad. The only thing that we could come up with is when you change the bungee's you cycle the hydrasorb by hand to check for how the shock feels. If anyone else has any more information let us know.

Matt

Matt, the challenge is they all feel a little different? depends on the angle etc. etc.

I am going to (when I have time) do some asking of the "auto racing crowd" and the offroaders? bet they have a lot more experience with this stuff? How would a guy get ahold of Clyde Smith?? bet he would know??

Tim

PN

Tim, the MAECO PN stamped on mine is 487558 (also 9A7), so Univair's 487-558-1 seems to be the MAECO number.

S.F.
Nick

Tim, Clyde's number is 570-748-3927. Let us know what you find out. I changed the bungees on a metal control surface SC the other day and the hydrosorbs were different. The ears were bigger and the top piece that bolts to the vee was longer. Found an adapter in my Bungee Master parts to install them after I did it the old fashion way. Next time I will read the directions.

What is the latest on the AOSS system or whatever it is called? Has anyone used it? Can you buy it? How much does it cost?

ksecub said:
What is the latest on the AOSS system or whatever it is called? Has anyone used it? Can you buy it? How much does it cost?

Talked to Burl a few days ago... He has refined the system and approval should be very soon... He sent me a picture of the units and they appear very well engineered... Definitely sounds like it is worth waiting for...

There are a couple of SC modifications that are very close to approval (Jerry Burr alluded to one, this is the other) that I think will be very worthwhile improvements to our airplanes...

I just talked to Burl today, he said the approval is going to happen soon. He said the new units will weigh about 2 lbs more per side than the bungee system and the setup will cost around $2,200! WOW!!!

I just bought a new Hydrasorb unit from Univair today for $255.55! I am going to stick with the old bungee system until someone proves to me that the new system is far superior.

Back to the hydrasorbs?

Steve Pierce, will you be so kind to post those part numbers from the Maeco unit you have? ( I misplaced the scratch pad)? Also if anyone else has a "unit" laying around please to the same?

I spoke to Bill Robeck, Atlee Dodge, Steve Pierce, Mark Drath and a few others and no one can find any info on "how" a person can tell if a unit is still good, (except that it is not bent or leaking? It just seems "ridiculus" to spend $641 apiece for a part that couldn't be more then a $40 dollar auto part (Piper made nothing special) IE: delco regulators??

I remember 20 years ago or so that Monroe made the Units, then Maeco, now who???

Thanks for any input!

Tim

Can anybody put there hands on the Monroe Part No. for the shock dampener used in the Super Cub hydrasorb?

Univair was getting them from the original manufacturer until they went to Mexico. Quality went to hell and they started making their own. You can buy the shock unit for a lot less money and make your own fittings for the bungees.

They way to tell if they are good or not is if there is any resistance when pushed in and out with no bungees installed. The whole idea is to take some of the rebound out. AOSS does it superbly.

Just purchased hydros from Spruce , now at $316 each . Can anyone tell me if it is absolutely necessary to drill the threaded end of the unit take a pin ? I have seen one cub that had one shock drilled and the other not .It does not appear to me that the strut itself can turn inside the assembly with the shock cords in place .? Am I missing something...?......RC

Just purchased hydros from Spruce , now at $316 each . Can anyone tell me if it is absolutely necessary to drill the threaded end of the unit take a pin ? I have seen one cub that had one shock drilled and the other not .It does not appear to me that the strut itself can turn inside the assembly with the shock cords in place .? Am I missing something...?......RC

drill it....

Mike , Since you wrote your response with such authority , thats what I will do...Thanks.....RC

My dad had a nasty experience with a Univair hydrosorb yesterday.. I installed two brand new, complete with bungees in 2008 and yesterday one of the hydrosorbs failed at the weld for the upper/inner shock cord ears. This cub has roughly 500 hours since I installed the hydrosorbs don't know how many landings, but maybe around 3000? We operate on normal grass strips, and on fixed skis. The last two winters we have used the landes LW2500 wheel penetration skis. In my opinion, they should last longer than this..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    835.5 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 226
As you see, the hydrosorb is wet from hydraulic fluid. The metal covers was greasy inside as well. But the cords themselves was in very good condition! I read people replace them every 5 years, is this really necessary? Maybe they fly hell of a lot? :)

I had a pair on a Top Cub I purchased with 62 hours on it that were leaking when I purchased it, and it was always flown gently with Clay Hammond as a safety pilot for the owner, so I don't believe abuse was an issue. Noticing leaks and inspection for bending are still probably the best ounce of prevention.

An earlier post asking about testing racing shocks, on and off road, was posted a number of years ago. Mathematics and real world testing are the primary ways of testing in these venues. Damper dynos are reserved for the very top end of racing no matter the category. They give a readout in much the same way an engine dyno does. Temps are important here, not high or low, just what the anticipated operating temperature is expected to be. Because of the design, shim stacks, needle valves, and orifice holes are very predictable so not much need for a "tester," the dyno provides a less expensive means for testing new theories without causing wear on the rest of multi million dollar vehicles. I have been thinking about getting an old hydrosorb and experimenting. The off airport needs that we use them for today are probably a little more demanding than the days before ABWs came around and allowed for a much larger selection of LZs, this probably means our setup is not optimal. I would like to make them adjustable, but the bias should be for more rebound dampening. A complete hydraulic damper should be able to be made much lighter and more adjustable than the current offerings. However, since there are very short cycle times here, Burl may have the best solution for all but the most hardcore competition planes, (and they may be best for them too) not having AOSS I tend to wonder how ambient temperature extremes affect them. Different criteria in the competition planes, smooth asphalt, different braking, weight, etc. Wish I could try a set of AOSS, not certified for Top Cubs, but Burl said he would get them certified if 13 of us TC owners order them at the same time, or commit and pay.

I would also be looking at the cabane ears for cracking on fuselage on opposite side also, if that was caused by numerous full extensions

Back