• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

31" Bushwheels

Crash

GONE WEST
Nikiski Alaska
Anyone out there done any testing as to the best tire pressure to run in the 31" radials? Crash

I just got a set this winter, havn't really been able to test them on real rough stuff. I talked with Kirk Ellis however, he has been running them for two seasons, so I called him even before I bought them, just wanted to get a "other than sales pitch" opinion before I got the Radials. He said he really liked them, they are lighter, in fact the ones I got are 6.5 lbs lighter than my 29" Bushwheels that I had. Also they roll easier so you have less drag for take off but require more braking on landing. Anyway, Kirk said that he usually runs them about 8 pounds and 5-6 lbs in the really rough stuff. That is less than recommended, Bill at AK Bushwheel said that you will need to run more air pressure in them than the old ones, but Ellis said less is what works for him. I imagine with lotsa weight and in rough terrain, 6-8 lbs would work good. On gravel and pavement, just pump them up as hard as you are comfortable with. I am running 10 pounds right now. I am sure I will have more info after I can get out and really use them...
Andy

psi

I run 6.75 to 7 in them on my Maule, that feels the best to me for off airport rough stuff. Had them as low as 6 but to much side ways flex and they will rub on my caliper on side slope stuff. 6.75 to 7 and they never rub, 8= to much bounce. Thats at an averge weight of 1800-1950lbs.

I have been running the 31" radial bushwheels now since the first of the year in our "citified" environment here. I am running 8.5 pounds (you will note on the paperwork 8lbs is the minimum!) and could probably stand a pound or two more, but they are working great.

I would estimate we have done 250 concrete and asphalt landings on these tires (the supercub is our tailwheel trainer) as well as a lot of grass, corn, sand, and a few other surfaces. They are holding up great. I believe these tires have made this plane a lot safer, and frankly, a lot easier to land. Wheelies have never been easier and the touchdown is always soft!

For those who like "ramp appeal", these tires attract a LOT of attention and are becoming well know in the airport and in the KC Area. In fact, the folks at the FBO ask if I am going to fly "Tires" today. The PROBLEM is that I am the only one here with them, so when I fly somewhere where I am 501' AGL and someone believes I might be 499' instead and they call the feds, well, I am not hard to identify... :angel:

There is great article in this edition of Cub Clues on the Super Cub page by Mark Drath (a.k.a. SupercubMD) concerning big tires. Be sure to check it out.

Also, a little bird told me of some exciting things going on a Alaksan Bushweel.. Better keep an eye on their website for an announcement... Mum's the word...

:howdy

sj

I have found also that about 8 lbs of tire pressure works best in my 31" radials, I fly off gravel and land on sand bars, hillsides and beaches. I flew them with 6lbs the first time I landed on a beach which is what I used in 31" bias Bush wheel, I thought for sure I was going to roll the tire on the side load and my buddy who landed prior to me aggreed, but it held. Since than I have flown right at 8lbs and find it to be the best for most scenario's.

Steve, I have a friend that fly's a Cub and a Beaver and he told me that some good things were coming his way from AK Bushwheel!

OK, you guys with the big ones, the tire envy has caught up with me. I just bought a set of 31's and can't wait to fly them on my newly-rebuilt PA - 18. I've never seen a plane I couldn't bounce. :oops: Maybe these will make me a good pilot. :p

murph

coming soon from the northeast; pics of 31" raffle tires on "Piperbilt" (similar to Freightliner) stay tuned for comments.... :up

Back