• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

aileron gap seals

twotall

we purchased a supercub from the US and it came with aileron gap seals but no stc, we could sure use a copy of an stc for gap seals if any one has one

twotall, You don't say where you are, but if Canada (like me) I hope the gap seals were actually an STC installation. If they were done on a form 337? field approval basis Transport Canada will <most likely> make you remove them :( before issuing a Canadian C of A for the aircraft.

Cheers,
Wayne

Seals

About your seals. If they are the fabric type that are fastened to the false spar and also to the leading edge of the aileron, and seal the air off completely. Pull them off and throw them away. They are raising your stall speed, not lowering it. Trust Me. Jerry. :)

thks Wayne, yes Im in Sask. they made us remove the gap seals because the we field approved. Is there any way we can legally replace these gap seals. they are the metal ones, similar to the flap gap seals

I think you need to get some answers to this from Jerry and the other SC guru's on this site. Jerry has already posted his opinion of the fabric gap seals and I'm sure that he probably knows whether you should bother reinstalling the metal one as well!! I'm not overly up on cub STC's, so not the one to ask. I started checking in on this site after hooking up with the principal of CLAMAR Floats www.clamarfloats.com and supplying his spreader bar material for his 2250 composite amphibs for Experimental SCubs. Then I had to throw in $150 to try and steal a set of Bushwheels to put on my Rebel and have been nosing around here ever since.

If anyone's interested I have 3 x O-320-A2B's left out of the five cores I purchased, that came out of Ugandan Airforce supercubs. 1 wide deck and two narrows left. I have my engines built by ATC in Orillia, Ontario and they can be built as experimental engines (overhauled to new limits) or certified engines with new cylinders. The wide deck can be modified to a B2B x 160HP as well, if you buy crosswinds/ cubcrafters or someones STC for installation. Send me a personal email if you're interested at oifa@irishfield.on.ca

Cheers,
Wayne O'Shea
Irish Field Aviation
www.irishfield.on.ca

Flap Gap Seals: Has anyone run the flap gap seals all the way out through the aileron bay and covered it with a 6" fabric tape as part of the recovering process? I am told by a 28,000 hour bush pilot that it gives you more aileron authority. Crash

Back