• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tail VGs...

FlipFlop

Maintaining at Flight Level Zero, requesting lower
I'm looking for information on installing the tail VGs... Has anyone flown their Cub, with wing VGs already installed, with and without the tail VGs... Is it worth the effort?... It appears that they don't do anything for the horizontal (mounted at the trailing edge), the effect would be on the elevator... I have an unbalanced tail, but I don't think that would have any bearing on VG installation...

I got uninstalled VGs when I bought the airplane, I installed the wing VGs yesterday and I have 34 VGs left over that I could install on the tail...

Cuby,

There's quite a bit of info on the tail vg's in the H-list archives: http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/Husky-L.html
and since the same surfaces are used (flat) it applies. I have flown both planes SC/Husky in the condition you described and have found no difference (discernable to me) in having the vgs on the tail, however; there must be a reason they want them on. I would vote for putting them on, even though I have personally found no difference in control feel, you have them anyway, and to not put them on as stc'd might even void your insurance if something happened. The above comment on no difference has to do strictly with feel, as I don't have the sophisticated instrumentation it takes to measure airspeed difference in tail vg on or off applications. Again, I'd vote to put them on.
Matt

flagold said:
Cuby,

There's quite a bit of info on the tail vg's in the H-list archives: http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/Husky-L.html
and since the same surfaces are used (flat) it applies. I have flown both planes SC/Husky in the condition you described and have found no difference (discernable to me) in having the vgs on the tail, however; there must be a reason they want them on. I would vote for putting them on, even though I have personally found no difference in control feel, you have them anyway, and to not put them on as stc'd might even void your insurance if something happened. The above comment on no difference has to do strictly with feel, as I don't have the sophisticated instrumentation it takes to measure airspeed difference in tail vg on or off applications. Again, I'd vote to put them on.
Matt

Thanx Matt...

My Cub's experimental, so the STC/Insurance doesn't matter... I'm with you, because I have them, I'll more than likely install them...

Cuby, Jerry Burr commented on them in a recent post. He removed some of them because they wern't doing anything and retained others. I think he said the ones he removed 1.4 ounces. I fly a PA18-95 with them. I flew it before but didn't fly with the wing VG's and no tail VG's. I could tell a difference after installation.

Tail V.G.'s

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear in the previous post. That happens. While doing the prototype work on the V.G.'s, I reached a point that the tail was stalling before the wing. So I added them to the tail, and that corrected the problem. But I added about 20 per side. Way overkill. But it was testing and thats I how we learn. Later when the work on the wing was finished, I removed all of the V.G.'s that were under the tail that were not necessary. That is the number of V.G.'s now used under the tail on the Micro STC. In answer to the previous post. Putting the V.G.'s on the front of the stabilizer that is exposed to ample relative wind during high AOA conditions is a obvious waste of time. Putting them on the bottom of the elevator where there is no relative wind to activate them during high AOA is also useless. The only place left is on the bottom rear of the stabilizer in maximum airflow, where the vortex wraps around onto the bottom of the elevator, and tends to keep air attatched better than without them. If you have a heavy tailed airplane you don't need them anyway. If you have a nose heavy airplane, and delta fins on the side of the fuselage, you should back up and look at what's wrong with the picture. Fact or Opinion? Who knows? It works for me. :D Jerry.

Back