• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub Starters

AKCub

Anchorage, Alaska
Hey Gang,
Wondered if anyone can relate their experiences with lightweight starters to me. I have a Skytech 122HT on my 160hp o-320 and after about 3 years and 500 hours it seems to be giving up the ghost. I have read a couple of posts about similar problems to mine and would like to try another brand.
Here is what mine is doing and what troubleshooting i have done. The starter sounds like (hard to see exactly what is going on) the shaft is extending out and hitting the back of the ring gear. I talked with the folks at Skytech and was told that if some of the windings fail or voltage is low (more about that later) the shaft will not extend to its full length and will not make the contacts required to allow the pinion shaft to rotate. I went throught the system with a voltmeter from the battery to the starter and all readings indicated within the range that Skytech posts on their troubleshooting chart. I did note that there wasn't a decent ground from the engine to airframe and added one. Coincidentally, I got a screamin deal on a new gel-cell battery and installed it. No changes.
So now I want to replace the starter and it seems there are a few choices. B & C, Skytech, and others. I don't want to replace this one with a Skytech if this problem is endemic to their starters.
Has anyone else had experiences similar to mine and if so what brand starter did you replace your Skytech with?
Thanks
Scott

Scott...........I've got a Skytec also for about 2 yrs. At first it really cranked over well (with a lt.weight batt) now it is lagging badly at times and will only turn thru one rotation without a restart try. I've not heard many good points about the Skytec and am going to the B&C when this one craps out. B&C's are a good quality reputable starter......I should have installed one to begin with but got a "special" deal on the Skytec.

starters

Gentleman. I put a Band C on my O320 11 years ago and it is as good as the day it ws put on. I understand that skytech uses quite a few internall parts that are plastic and wear quuicker over time. The b and c will cost more but the two that I have installed on my birds have been bullet proof. In this case I think you get what you pay for. Call Bill at Band C and get him to explain why their starter cost more...it was a good education for me. I went starterless on my present cub and its the lightest of all. Time in sevice for the 11 year starter is 700hrs on the 5 yr starter is 500hrs.

Bill

Well 3 posts isn't exactly scientific method but it looks like the next starter is going to be a B&C.
I want to call Skytech and have them explain why this is happening.
Oh yeah- cheep pilot here, anyone found good deals on the B&C starter?
Thanks All

B&C doesn't sell thru parts houses. You go directly to them or an FBO. They are $580. I think he gives shops a 10% discount. It has been a while since I ordered one. Will Sky-Tec not warrant theis? The old heavy starters lasted well past TBO.

www.bandcspecialty.com

I ordered one a few days ago through Aircraft Spruce. They ask $580 for 12 volt certified one.
Vidir

I ordered one a few days ago through Aircraft Spruce. They ask $580 for 12 volt certified one.
Vidir

Same problem different date! There has been posts in another thread about the starters! You will not be sorry if you spring for a B-C starter! Bill is a great person to do business with and his products are first class!

If you need a paperweight send me the postage and I will send you a box of Skytech starters!

Tim

How about the MagnaFlite? It's lighter that the rest, and being a Prestolite product, I believe it is PMA'ed to a lot of engines.

The biggest thing I don't like about the Skytec is that it is not designed to break away in case of a violent kickback, and I've heard horror stories about ruined engines from them.

A sky-tec starter (model 149-12 PM) was installed on my O-320-B3B when I bought the plane. It failed after 216.0 hours time in service (TIS). It was replaced with an identical starter which presently has 370 hours TIS.

I would be happy to gather and analyze the mean time between failure (MTBF) for the various starters used on long wing Pipers. The analysis can include hourly operating cost. Send me a PM with the following information: Starter Manufacturer / Model Number / Engine Model Number and Horsepower / TIS Before Failure / Cost to Repair or Replace Failed Starter / Manufacturer of Replacement Starter / Model Number of Replacement Starter. Once I receive a enough data to do a meaningful analysis I will post the results here, and I will update it periodically as additional data are received.

I have a B&C starter with 800+ hours in 3 years with no problems. If you have the oil cooler in the original location you have to modify the left oil cooler bracket.

I had an Skytec Starter, O320A2B, PA12, G35 battery, 122tooth ringear. New at time of Engine Overhaul Tack time ISBF 67hr. (unfortunately 5yrs) I believe this is a significant component to that model failure? It was replaced with a B-C model (required a slight modification to the Starter cable routing, and left baffle shaping) TIS now 265 hours in 18 months, Estimated starts in excess of 1000! Works like new!

Major improvement is that there is no end bell to stick out past the nose bowl, allowing the closure of the "whole". This is where the elements (dirt, water) get to the starter!

Tim

Been reading about these starters with great concern, because my starter is acting up a little. I looked at it the other day, and it says Lycoming on it, but it's a small starter. When I rebuilt the plane a few years back, I bought a B&C starter to install on it, but seems like I couldn't make it fit. Even the starter I have on there now, I had to modify the bracket for the oil cooler, but didn't look like the B&C would fit. Ok, just looked at my paper work, and I see my starter is a Sky Teck AAHHHhhhhhhhhhh and I have 370hrs. How or what is everyone doing to all the B&C starters to be used. I have a 0-320 with the oil cooler in the nose, per original. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Brian

I know this isn't a rant and rave section, but the heck with it GOD BLESS THE USA. :flag

I'm in the middle of installing a B & C starter on O-320. The impression I got was that only a slight modification to the oil cooler bracket was needed, but it seems that the bracket has to be remade more or less.

Am i missing something? Any advise? Could anyone provide a photo of the finished product, please?

Thanks in advance, Vidir

Cub Crafters was selling a modified left oil cooler bracket to use with the B&C starter for 75.00 exchange. I exchanged mine and it really didnt fit that great so we used it for a pattern to make a new one that fit perfect. Next time I have the cowling off I will try to get a picture.

I think I have a picture of one Atlee built. I will try and find it a post tommorrow when I get to the hanger.

Starters

The factroy new Lycoming I just got came with a Sky Tek starter on it but it's different then the two other ones I've purchased in the past. My other Sky Teks have a nose bell with a bushing in it to support the end shaft and sticks out through the nose bowl. This one has the motor set off to the side with a gear box and no nose bell, just the gear sticking out. You don't need the round cut out in the nose bowl for it to fit. It looks a lot like a B&C. I have not had any failures with my bell style Sky Teks but the one in the PA-14 seems to hang engaged for a second after the engine starts then kicks out. Crash

Crash you got the new HT model. Is there a bendix in the other style like the old heavy starters? I know the old bendix won't disengage until 1000-1500 rpm.

Thank you all for your comments.
Steve, I would appreciate if you could post that picture. I'm mainly interested in how the rear arm is supposed to wrap around the solenoid.
Vidir

I have about 700 hours on a Sky Tech with no problems. It still spins the prop real fast, just like the day it was installed.

News Flash on starters- Maybe...

Has anyone with Skytech starter problems tried lubing the drive shaft to fix them? I was told the Magnaflight starter is placarded to do just that every 50 hours.
It seems the designs on all these lightweight starters is about the same so if one needs to be lubed every 50 hours they probably all should.
What say you guys?
:morning:

Conventional starters require silicone spray to lubricate the bendix. Sky-Tec recomends not to lubricate theirs. My Dad has about 500 hrs on his on a narrow deck O-320 150 hp with no problems.

Steve, my other Sky Tek's have a selenoid off to the side that throws the gear out when power is applied. I ran the same starter in my PA-18 for several years and it never seemed to hang engaged after the starter button was released. I think the one on the 14 is just sticking. Crash

I found a picture of a oil cooler bracket being modified for the BC starter

photo deleted

Kase, thanks for posting the picture. This is the way I did too. I was a little sceptic, as when the rear brace has been bent around the starter, the bracing effect is not worth much. But I guess this is good enough.

The installation was more time consuming than I thought. The baffling had to be remade, the oil cooler bracket had to be remade, starter cable had to be spliced, oil cooler hose fitting had to be changed from 90 to 45 deg, and the nose bowl hole was plugged.

But..., I enjoy working on my Super-Cub!

Vidir

For what it?s worth, as a representative of the factory, I am hoping to answer some of the questions on this thread, propose some solutions and generally clear-up any misconceptions about Sky-Tec starters. In order of the posts on this thread:

1) Scott, obviously with only 500 hours on your Sky-Tec 122-12HT starter, you should be getting the same performance you were getting when it was new. The HT is a very rugged starter and should give you great performance past your engine TBO. Your mention of using a Gel Cell battery does concern me a little as they do not generally put out the same level of power as an ?equivalent? RG battery but since you?ve been through the Sky-Tec trouble shooting guide and still suspect it may be the starter, please give me the opportunity to evaluate the starter for you here at the shop (go to http://www.skytecair.com/Obtain_RA.htm or call me at the number below).

2) Cubdrvr, your experience of ?not hearing many good points about the Sky-Tec? also concerns me. Sky-Tec has more than 25,000 starters out there and in a typical week, I may see only a dozen or so of those coming back to the factory for overhaul or repair. We just got back from Sun ?N Fun and the folks stopping by the Sky-Tec booth were overwhelmingly complimentary of our starters and their performance in the field.

3) Cubus Maximus. Well, I can?t claim our starters don?t die. They do. But most give up the ghost well past engine TBO.

4) bill willcutts. I will not say anything bad about the B&C product. I flew behind one for years on my Starduster Too and it performed perfectly. Bill makes a good starter. However, I must clarify the misperception in your saying ?I understand that skytech uses quite a few internal parts that are plastic and wear quicker over time.? Sky-Tec uses three parts internally that are reinforced plastic and despite the fact that (as I mentioned previously) we have 25,000 starters out in the field. Of those that have returned for overhaul and service since the inception of the company (or warranty work) we have NEVER ? EVER seen one of our starters fail due to the plastic parts. I cannot say the same for the METAL parts. So yes, we use glass-reinforced plastic resin components for added strength and weight savings but they are each used in places that do not receive force/loads demanding anything else. And again, there have been ZERO Sky-Tec starter failures due to the use of the composite components.

5) AKCub. Please do call us. We LOVE to talk to customers, prospects and the general flying public whenever we can and we welcome your calls ? 800-476-7896. We?re all plane owners and pilots and I for one love to share whatever information you may find useful in your own flying pursuits and aircraft ownership.

6) Icecub As you noted, Spruce sells the B&C starter for around $580. Sky-Tec?s typically fetch about $450 from Spruce. We believe you can realize even more savings if or when your starter should need repair or overhaul but most importantly, we believe the Sky-Tec starter is not only equivalent to but superior to the B&C and we hope to prove it ?out there in the field? too.

7) PA12driver. Ouch. That hurts. If you really do have a box of Sky-Tec starters, I would appreciate you sending them to us here at the factory. I would be happy to overhaul whatever I can and get them out to other Cub owners as factory yellow tag overhauled units. Sorry we couldn?t keep you.

8 ) SuperCub MD ?the Skytec is that it is not designed to break away in case of a violent kickback? is simply not true. The current generation of Sky-Tec?s is designed to do just that ? break away in the case of a kickback (the mount is designed to break). However, due to improvements in metallurgy, we?re seeing more ?bends? and fewer ?breaks?. Our future generation of starters (first model shipping by OSH) will have a sheer-pin to enable it to break ?cleanly? internally and save most/all moving parts in the event of a kickback.

9) PA12Driver Hmmm, ?Major improvement is that there is no end bell to stick out past the nose bowl, allowing the closure of the "whole". This is where the elements (dirt, water) get to the starter!? sounds like you were using our PM/LS starter. We typically recommend our HT starter to Supercub pilots since it too is completely sealed against the elements and has no ?nose? on it to interfere with your Cub nose bowl. Too bad we couldn?t help you before your switch. But as I said, I think you?ll find the B&C a good product too.

10) Supercub. ?my starter is acting up a little? ? and since it?s a Sky-Tec, please CALL ME! Let?s get it right or if it?s not the starter, figure out what is not right. That?s what I do. Rich 800-476-7896! Let?s define ?acting up? and get your starter back to ?acting down?. : )

11) Crash ?the one in the PA-14 seems to hang engaged for a second after the engine starts then kicks out? That?s completely normal on the permanent magnet starters (LS and PM) ? they?ll stay engaged while they run down and they?re designed to do so. The HT?s won?t hang but for less than a second before they ?pull in?.

12) Steve ?Is there a Bendix in the other style like the old heavy starters? I know the old bendix won't disengage until 1000-1500 rpm.? Whoa ? no Bendix on Sky-Tec starters (that?s the key). No maintenance. No Bendix failures. A couple seconds of engagement past key release (or start button) is normal as I mentioned.

13) Cubdriver ?I have about 700 hours on a Sky Tech with no problems. It still spins the prop real fast, just like the day it was installed.? WHEW! I was hoping we could find a few posts more representative of 99% of the customers I speak to on a daily basis. Thanks (your check?s in the mail ; )

14) AKCub ?Has anyone with Skytech starter problems tried lubing the drive shaft to fix them?? NOOOOOOO! Please do not. Sky-Tec starters are maintenance free. The best way to keep them lubed is to USE THEM. Plain and simple. Won?t hurt it if you do lube it. Just don?t let too much ?gunk? (technical term) get in there when you do.

Well, hopefully I addressed everyone?s concerns on this thread and only put a few of you to sleep with the length of my post. In the future (now that I?m ?online? with Supercub.org), I?ll try to keep it to quick answers to individual posts. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a note or a call!

PlanePlace said:
Well, hopefully I addressed everyone?s concerns on this thread and only put a few of you to sleep with the length of my post. In the future (now that I?m ?online? with Supercub.org), I?ll try to keep it to quick answers to individual posts. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a note or a call!

Rich...

Thanx for posting to SC.org... It's refreshing to have a manufacturer say "here's what's right and what's wrong with my product" and to have the guts to stand behind it... I have a Sky-Tec with approximately 300-400 starts and it works beautifully... Send my check to... :lol:

[quote="CubyThanx for posting to SC.org... It's refreshing to have a manufacturer say "here's what's right and what's wrong with my product" and to have the guts to stand behind it... I have a Sky-Tec with approximately 300-400 starts and it works beautifully... Send my check to... :lol:[/quote]

Ditto here as well (and can I get a check too?? :lol: ) Skytec PM or LS on every O-320 in the hanger (that's currently 5) and have put one on every engine I have sold to customers for the last 4 or 5 years and none have failed to funtion properly yet or needed to be returned for any reason. The only one I know of personally that failed was the flying schools Cherokee 140 after about 1600 hours, and most likely 3500 starts, and all that let go on it was the starting solenoid that hangs off the side. Everything else was fine.

As for plastic parts, todays resins when moulded properly will outperform any metal parts, so hats off to you for realizing that and using them in the product Rich!!

Cheers,
Wayne

Back