• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How many did they make?

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Ok,

I see there are about 4400 SC's on the registry, but how many did piper produce? Some of the may be CC cubs..

Lots of folks want a supercub. There are many questions:

1. Where to keep it - airports are getting real expensive and landing on your own property in some parts of the country is not allowed.

2. How to afford it? SC's are expensive..

3. What is just as good? (no comment)

There is a guy in Parkville not far from me that used to have a Bentley in his living room picture window. You could see it when you drove by. Too valuable for the road, but OK for the living room. When the super cub becomes only an objet d'art please SHOOT ME!

sj

From Daniel Ford's site located at http://www.danford.net/pipercub.htm
(he gives credit to the original sources there) about 10,500.

PA-18,
L-18/21 Super Cub $3,595-47,000 1949-1982 10,224
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WTA (Lubbock, Texas)
PA-18 Super Cub ? 1980s ?
Piper Aircraft (Vero Beach, Florida)
PA-18 Super Cub $42,595-$80,000 1988-1994 102
Argentina licensees
PA-A-18 Super Cub? ? 1990s 11
Cub Crafters (Yakima, Washington)
PA-18 Top Cub $135,975 1999-2001 32

Dang! That is 6000+ not accounted for... Maybe they are all overseas...

sj

What is the story on the Lubbock Cubs? I have a friend who has lived there most of his life and has never mentioned them.

That is 6000+ not accounted for... Maybe they are all overseas...

A mere 63 in the UK, I'm afraid. I'm sure no other European country has more. Look elsewhere for your 6,000 PA 18s, Steve!

BCB

PA-12 Registrations

PA-12's are nearly as bad, there were 3,759 produced. About 1720 on the database last I looked, another 30 in NTSB records back to 1984 that aren't registered and 109 I've found registered in the 16 countries for which I've found records on the web.

Does anyone have access to Canadian Registrations? I have a hunch there are a bunch of long-wing Pipers registered there.

How Many did They Make?

Taylor and Piper built close to 40,000 production airplanes that qualify for the name 'CUB'. Of these, approximately 10,000 are still listed on the U.S. Civil Register. And Alaska has more than 3,000 of these CUB taildraggers up here!

Cub Special Driver

How Many di They Make?

Taylor and Piper built nearly 40,000 production airplanes that qualify for the name 'CUB'. Of these, approximately 10,000 are still on the U.S. Civil Register. And where have most of the Cubs gone! To Alaska, of course! There are more than 3,000 of these Cub tail draggers up here!

Cub Special Driver

Trivia

Locheed built 9500 P-38 Lightnings and only 4 or 5 fly today
Piper does'n have to bad of a record eh.

Supercubber,

Go talk to those folks that are hiding all those cubs in sheds and barns...I plus many other people around here would love :lol: to get our hands on some of them and get them flying again... My last project fell through when I went to look at it none of the paperwork was in order :( and I still am looking fo a project...

You´d be doing the Supercub world a great favor....

David.

Back