• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New to Floats

M

mikehack

Bought some property on a lake in Alaska last summer. The lake is 2000ft by 1400ft and has 100 feet obstacles all around the shore. Have lots of land time and have my float rating. Anyone have any suggestions on a good setup in a Cub or other floatplane that would work well on this size lake.
Mike

Your choice of Supercub is good for limited take off run but you may still have limitations. You will need to be careful of downdrafts and squirrely winds (based on your lake description) and load considerations in warmer weather. Suggest strongly that you call Rick or Heidi Reuss in Anchorage (believe: Arctic Air) and get some training. They're great people and can tell/show you things you need to know but probably haven't yet considered. I am commercial sea rated with most of my hours in a C206 in Alaska and will gladly tell you that just having a float rating will not get the job done in Alaska. If you can fly Alaska well, you can fly anywhere. If you get some front end training it will be one of your best investments for flything in the 49th. Good Luck and don't forget the duct tape!

Back