• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Is there a twist in fuselage?

louie

Can anybody tell me if the fuselage lower longerons are level or if they have a twist in them? I heard that there is a 17degree twist. But I?m not sure if it is in the longerans or vertical fin or if there is any at all.

Louie

Louie, where did you hear there is a 17 degree twist built into a PA-18 fuselage? I have not heard this. My new fuselage shows 0 degrees at the front and 0 degrees at the rear. Why would there be twist built into it. Guys twist them when turning around at the end of a strip and dropping the tail wheel in a hole, but that's follwed by a lot of cussing. Crash

louie- youre probably refering to the offset in the vert. stab. although I don't know offhand how much it is offset but 17 deg sounds like a lot

not aware of any twist, but the PA18 does have the top longeron bend down by about 1 and 7/8 of an inch over the last 29 and 7/8 of the top longeron total length.
I believe the original J3 has a straight top longeron.
Is this what you are thinking about?

The original J-3 is the same as the Super Cub airframe. The lower longerons are straight all the way from the gear to the tailpost, the uppers bend down the last few feet.

The verticle fin should be offset (by physically twisting) such that the upper edge of the fin lines up with a string from the top of the tailpost to a point half way from the centerline of the fuselage to the left side of the fuselage along the rear edge of the skylight. If the verticle fin is in line with the fuselage centerline, you will constantly need right rudder in cruise flight to counteract torque.

When rebuilding your Cub remember to temporarily hang the rudder to help you correctly place the verticle fin. Otherwise you may get the fin too high or too low. Then the hinges won't line up!

To twist the verticle fin grasp it firmly at the upper corners and pull (or push) the forward corner in the correct direction. If, when you fly after rebuild, you find that you need more (or less) twist, you can fine tune by the same method.

John

Back