• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Prop Bolts

arcticace

Fort Simpson, NT Canada
Hi All,

I talked to Sensenich about getting a replacement prop bolt for my Pacer (SM76-AM-2-53) Well, they would only sell me a set and they wanted $300 bucks for them. What is so special about these bolts and am I at risk by substituting regular AN bolts? Legality is not at issue, I am operating in Canada's new owner maintenance category.

Thanks,

Glen

True prop bolts have rolled threads, and I don't have any idea why they are so expensive, but they are. I use prop bolts on my sench. prop, but on my wood prop I just use AN bolts with no problem.

Tim

I believe that prop bolts have a longer thread pattern.

Remember the AD about the cut threads on the fork ends that I believe Wag Aero sold years ago. I believe all AN hardware is rolled threads too.
Brian

I'm not an A&P but I've always been told prop bolts have rolled threads. What other reason would there be for them to cost $140 a set. I know there threads are a little longer, but you can buy AN bolts for $5 each. Some body out there must have the facts.

Tim

I'm going to guess supply and demand is the answer to why prop bolts are so expensive. Aircraft Spruce has a note in their catalog about their limited availability due to low production.
Some clever bolt manufacturer has figured out the economics and decided to "jack up the price, those airplane guys can afford it anyway"

Back