• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

most abused or ugliest cub

tempdoug

PATRON
nd
maybe we could give a little light side to these great airplanes some of you guys might have some pretty interesting pictures

I'll buy the notion of an "abused" cub, but I don't think I've ever seen any such thing as an "ugly" cub. Some are just better looking than others.

Wish I had a picture of my first Cub, N42245... It had been a 125 duster and didn't have back windows, interior fabric, headliner, gear cover, etc... The paint was silver on the fabric, the boot cowl was white and the cowling was yellow... Had a 75 when I got it with three standard and one +15 cylinders... The wood prop had sat upright for so long that when it went around the airplane "thumped"... Dad had a 140 in the flight school that went up on it's nose and got the prop tips... I had the prop cut down and repitched so that Cub would go straight up, but couldn't get out of it's own way... I soloed it on my 16th birthday and flew it for a very enjoyable summer before selling it to buy a Swift... I see N42245 every year at the Merced fly-in... It now resides in Red Bluff and has a PA-11 front end...

Neglect is one of the worst forms of abuse...

AVF.thumb.jpg

Click Link Below For the BIG Picture
http://www.supercub.org/albums/Supercubs/AVF.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------
APD.thumb.jpg

Click Link Below For the BIG Picture
http://www.supercub.org/albums/Supercubs/APD.jpg

sj

Steve:
Those are some of the perrtiest cubs I've seen.
I can remember when you could actually go flying across the country and find cubs like that. To bad I didn't have any money back then,--oh yea I did, just spent it on booze tho.
First job I had out of A&P school, my boss got this faded all black long wing drooped leading edge Bucket of rust Super cub in for an annual. Direct from the great state of Alaska.
Still the ugliest I've ever seen.

neglected Cub story

Years ago we had a J-3 in an open front hangar on our farm.
It was summer...and we were so busy we didnt have time to fly.
Occaisionally we would glance at the plane as we drove by....noticing that the plane was leaning more and more.....just like a main gear tire was losing air.
A few more weeks went by...and the wing was really drooping now...so we went out with an air tank to re-inflate the tire.
Upon closer inspection....the tire was found to have plenty of air in it....but a huge swarm of honeybees had colonized the outboard portion of the wing...gaining entrance by a gap in the fabric where the lift strut joined the wing....and had stored many pounds of honey inside the wing.
The fabric had to come off to get the mess out.
Randy

My vote would go to 4083Z, a 66 A model. It began life spraying 6 mos before it was completely balled up and stored. Came out of storage and towed gliders until it was flipped, redone, and groundlooped. I bought the thing after a layoff of flying for 10 years, and it took all my hard landings with ease while I re-learned the low level skills my WWII ag instructors had taught in Ga. for motion film work. It had been unwashed for so long, it was brown instead of white, and its lone red stripe had faded into the brown. It was the loudest SC I ever flew by far, and the floorboards had long ago been stripped of all paint. Whenever I would invite someone to go flying they'd take a look at it and refuse, so I traded it to Richmond for a 79 he'd just got in (unmodified), and somebody had him rebuild it, but wrecked the thing again (oops). Last I knew it had been traded to a company in Oregon and was working again, towing banners or some such thing.

flagold said:
My vote would go to 4083Z, a 66 A model. It began life spraying 6 mos before it was completely balled up and stored. Came out of storage and towed gliders until it was flipped, redone, and groundlooped. I bought the thing after a layoff of flying for 10 years, and it took all my hard landings with ease while I re-learned the low level skills my WWII ag instructors had taught in Ga. for motion film work. It had been unwashed for so long, it was brown instead of white, and its lone red stripe had faded into the brown. It was the loudest SC I ever flew by far, and the floorboards had long ago been stripped of all paint. Whenever I would invite someone to go flying they'd take a look at it and refuse, so I traded it to Richmond for a 79 he'd just got in (unmodified), and somebody had him rebuild it, but wrecked the thing again (oops). Last I knew it had been traded to a company in Oregon and was working again, towing banners or some such thing.

N4083Z is Assigned

Assigned/Registered Aircraft Aircraft Description

Serial Number 18-8098 Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name PIPER Certificate Issue Date 10/07/2002
Model PA-18-150 Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 51146462
MFR Year 1964 Fractional Owner NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered Owner

Name RUGG RANCHES LLC
Street PO BOX 209
City PILOT ROCK State OREGON Zip Code 97868-0209
County UMATILLA
Country UNITED STATES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Standard-Restricted
Engine Model 0-320 SERIES Category Agriculture and Pest Control

A/W Date 07/25/1972

Well I'll be! And after all these years, my memory is only 2 years off . . .

ugliest cub

steve that picture of the cub you have there with the red stripe has a round hole under the left fuselage window any ideas

Thats an AG model. probably had something to do with the sprayer, but I can't remember what.

Is the round hole an inspection/access hole to get to the flap handle base, to hook up the cables?

I think it had something to do with the dry spreader attachment.......something I had on my old cubs but never used. It covered a tubing stub/bracket of some sort.

Flagold,

The old cub is only 15min away from my home in Pendleton I used to do a little tire work for Rugg's I'll have to stop and get some picts for ya!

Wup

I would appreciate that! The old girl practically built the entire Treasure Dive Sites photo library (the link at the bottom of my site). It is undoubtedly one of the most hard working and unsung SC's ever made. Kind of like a Stearman I flew in Albany Ga, Stearman 291. Trained pilots continually from WWII until 1986 and gained horsepower along the way until at the last it had 450. Usually was out there flying (and the last 15 yrs of flying was all low level stunt and ag training flying) all day every day. It had to have been the highest time airframe built by Boeing's Stearman Div.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the pics, I hope it looks a lot better than when I had it. I did, at least, give it a hangar to sleep in.

The Treasure Dive Sites link I talked about 4083Z building:
http://www.treasuresites.com/index6.htm

Here are a few sad Cubs and a very happy Taylorcraft.
Sorry I didn't thumbnail these.

sadgreencub.jpg

sadfloatcub.jpg

Any of you Anchorage guys know the story on this floatCub? It has sat there for 12 years that I know of. It's on the W side of Hood, N of the "doctors'" hangar.

sadredcub.jpg

The happiest T-crate in the world. Yes, Martha, it sure looks like a Cub, but it really is a Taylorcraft.
happytcrate.jpg

The only one I know hasn't flown lately is the floatCub. At least they cut the brush last year that had grown taller than the tip of the rudder. What a shame. I'm surely not the only one that has dreamed of getting this poor old bird for a song and seeing it fly again.

Dave Calkins.

I think Tyson has the line on that one. It has been there for a long time. I believe one of the struts is broken:).pak

What Kind of square wing tips are those on the first plane?? Are they good and are they available?

Ran across this old topic and was surprised to see a cub that I now own. It is the "floatcub" that was stored at Tysons. If neglect is the worst type of abuse then it qualifies! This is a 1958 A model. It has been a one owner airplane sinse 1959. The fellow that owned it has reciently passed away at 82 and I purchased it from the estate through a sealed bid auction. The owner had lost his medical many years ago but always believed that he would recover and get it back. He would not consider selling it and was known to hang up the phone on people that would call trying to buy it.
The airplane has only 248 hours total time since new. In 1980 the fabric rotted off so it was completely recovered with Stitts and the engine was majored to install 1/2 inch valves and the wide lobed camshaft. The story has it that it never flew after reassembly. The engine has been "pickled" many times over the years. He had a small electric motor with a pump to circulate preservative oil through the engine as he would crank it on the starter. I have not dissassembled it yet to see how well it worked. This cub will recieve a complete restoration. It now sits at my home in south Anchorage awaiting overdue TLC. If I knew how, I would insert a photo of my other cub. Need some instruction with photos. The cubs will be twins when complete. One on floats on one on wheels.

Ed
[/img]

Tips

The square tips are the Hendericks tips. I just installed a set on a 18 this last winter
that was down for a cover. the tips are still avalable though Ron Sullivan. They do
work well with the long ailerons. Owner was very impessed.
On the ruff cub thing, I bought a cub from a guide [no names] If I remember right in
1976 that was flown into O'mally strip from southwest AK. It was red with black
stipe if you could tell by what little paint was left on it. It had tin for sky light, crosetube
had brace taped to it, struts had splices. Was told it had been on it's back few times.
I beleave at least a few for every rib in the wings had damage. I have retreaved a
few wrecks that looked bad but this plane was being used just before the last time
it was on it's back. I wish I had a picture Wayne

Ugliest Cubs...

I've seen so many, here are some standouts, I wish I would have taken pictures.

Tail feathers that sounded like a sack of rocks when they were shaken, when the fabric was cut open, what remained of the rusty tubes fell out, the fabric was all that held them together.

Longerons that had so much water in them, they froze in winter, splitting them open like frozen water pipes.

Leading/trailing edges made out of old house/trailer siding, mostly installed with duct tape.

Floorboards rotted out and laying in the belly, covered up with 1/4" steel plate. You had make sure you didn't hurt your back picking up those boards, but the owner did stop his feet from going through the belly fabric.

J3's that had the front cowl mounts break loose at some point, and they moved forward, cutting about a 1/2" groove in the prop hub.

Bullet holes in wing struts.

Cubs that when finally moved from their spot, left a shadow on the ground of paint and dope that had peeled and fallen off over the years.

Tubing clusters with the vertical tubes so corroded they were severed from the cluster.

The interesting thing is, this stuff wasn't in a scrap yard, it was all flying at the time.

Does anyone remember that red and white Supercub that used to fly in to oshkosh fly in? On the cowling it had "Nothing by Chance" and someone had crossed out "by" making it read "Nothing but Chance". It was white with red stripes and had signatures and bumber stickers all over it, and a green prop with yellow polk-a-dots? I heard whoever he gave a ride he would have them sign there name on the airplane. I haven't seen it at Oshkosh for probably 15 years, just wondering what ever happened to it. I have some pics of it maybe I'll try and figure out how to post them.

Written on Cub

R. Johnson

I was in a string of old hangers with various planes owned by a pilot I met last year near Warren, Ohio. Hanging from the rafters down to the floor was a piece of old wing covering that was almost completely covered with magic marker autographs. The pilot said that most were signed by women he offered rides to... and then reading when the inscriptions (Come see me again next time you fly through such and such a place... you get the drift) I got the impression he was well liked by the ladies.

The people at the airport told me that he could fly the paint off of any airplane, and from talking to him he was sure interesting. Told me that at Oshkosh he had the crouds checking out his autographs and his old Super Cub was stealling the thunder from the latest and greatest homebuilts - to the point where Oshkosh moved his plane away from the flightline....

It was a delight to hear this guy tell stories about why there are over 50 bowling balls stacked up in the back of his hangar... seems that taking them aloft in the winter is a good way to test whether the ice on the lakes nearby is safe to land on......

This may not be the fabric from the airplane you are recalling but I think probably so. He said that the fabric went bad and had to be pulled off years ago. Rick Papp, frequent contributor to this website, will recall this fellow's name, I regret I do not at this late hour.

Bob Breeden

Hi Bob I'll bet thats the same plane. Remember how some guys here bashed the Harley Cub, imagine they see this one, either way it looked like the funnest Cub ever.

Made my heart leap when I saw the two tone green PA-18 with the Hendricks tips. I went shopping around Ancorage around 1997 and saw that one for sale (I think that one, with 4 tanks?). Sorry I didn't buy it. I bought a Bird Dog instead which now has an 0-520 and is for sale.

I now have a PA-12, N3042M which was rumored to have been operated such that a previous owner was essentially banned for life by the federales. Any interesting stories?

Also, it's my experience that you should never let go of a Cub type airplane unless you really have to. You'll always want it back. :cry: [/i]

Back