• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Flaps from Univair

BES

Esbjerg, Denmark
Does anyone have any experience with the PA-12 flap assy. sold by Univair? How does it install and is it an OK quality kit? Anything better available? The kit doesn't come with an STC, so it must be issued with a 337 when installed. Anybody got a copy of such a 337??

Bent
Denmark

Bent, Apparently no one is going to post you an answer so I will give it a shot. I assume you are asking about using PA-18 flaps on a PA-12 and buying the kit from Univair. Buying the complete kit from Univair is not the most cost effective way to go but will get you all the required parts. Note that some parts are also used on the PA-22 and can somtimes be found more reasonably priced. Everything made by Univair is the highest quality, at least in my experience. When I want the right part that is where I shop. Flaps are listed as an item on the PA-12 type certificate, an STC may not be required for the installation if you can come up with the required set of drawings. 337's are probably available from the Cub Club. Jim

The options are PA14 or PA18 flaps. Without looking it up, I think Ron Sullivan has a PA12 flap STC, and a few others do also. The ones on the TC are the Mainair (Marden) kit, does anyone have info on these?

Flaps on a PA12? I have Ron Sullivans STC #SA578AL on my PA12. It is pretty straight forward however there are some items that are pretty "loosely" drawn on the prints. Knowledge of the PA12/18 wing is a pre-requiset if you want good results. Be careful of interference between the flap bellcrank and the Aileron cables? There are a couple fairleads that need critical placement on the ribs as well as the hinge mounting brackets are not properly dimensioned to make the airfoils align with flap retracted. Also the flap is drawn as is "originally" installed on a PA18, yet you can gain more advantage if you extend them to the fuselage?

You might give Charly Center a call at Crosswinds, as he has done a lot with the PA12 in recent times.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Jim, Super Cub MD, and Tim,

Thank you very much for your input. Helpful and much appreciated.
Please forgive my ignorance, but who is Ron Sullivan of the STC and how does one obtain a copy of that STC?

Bent

Bent!

Ron Sullivan is (one) of the STC-"suplimental type certificate" holders for the modification of a PA12 wing for the installation of PA18 style flaps.

STC# SA578AL is actually jointly held by Ron Sullivan and David M. Hendrick, Both these individuals were instrumental in the development of modifications to the Piper "Cub" line of aircraft as well as some other makes.

The STC can be purchased directly from Ron whom still lives in Alaska
His number is:(907) 345-4630

Ron is no longer working in Aviation, however he has forgotten more about cubs then most of us will ever no!

Nice guy,

give him a call!

Tim

PS: many of the STC's are available through rebuilders and parts suppliers under agreement by the certificate holder, IE: Cub Crafters, Stoddards, Atlee Dodge, Dans Aircraft and others.

Back