• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

floorboards

TIM AYERS

GLENDALE AZ
Anybody thought about using aluminum dimond plate for floorboards? Seems strong and lite. Just a thought.
Tim Ayers

I have a friend with AL diamond plate in his PA-12, had it flying for about a month now and likes it real well.

Couldn't you use honeycomb? It would be tough and light.

What is "Honeycomb"? How do the Diamond plate floorboards compare with wood, weight wise?

I need a pattern for Supercub floorboards. Does anyone have some that I could borrow/buy/rent? Joe

Honeycomb is FAA approved.... it's used on Part 25 certified aircraft for floor, baggage compartments and walls, etc.

Might find some scraps at a large maintenance facility that does interiors, etc. It's strong and meets fire retardant specs.

Hey Joe:

I just had my SC rebuilt at Cotton Center, just south of you a few miles. We replaced the wooden floor with aluminum floor from Dan's Aircraft. I like the new metal floor very well. They powder-coated it for me and it works well and is durable. If you need a pattern, my old wooden floor might still be there at the shop. I can check for you if you like.

murph

We used some for a baggage shelf in an L-4 that was rebuilt last year. That shelf was about .5 inch thick and plenty strong. I'll probably use 3/4 inch for my floorboards and baggage floor. Depends on what the airline I get it from has in stock.
BTW: If you decide to use honeycomb, it is essential that you seal the edges. If honeycomb is allowed to absorb moisture, it gets like wet cardboard.

Bent

I work extensivly with honeycomb and thought about useing it as well. But the expense of the material compared to wood is a draw back. Also there is realy no significant weight savings by going honeycomb especially if you went 0.750" thick. Also the honeycomb will require the istallation of inserts at each screw or bolt location. Their not that dificult to install, but it is another step in the process. I personally feel that 0.500" is more than sufficient for floor boards. On transport aircraft the floor boards don't have edge sealer unless it is in a wet location like entry doors or galleys. So I think sealer is a personal preference and not a nessesity and depends on the intended use of the aircraft (i.e. hard working float plane).

All that said, I do like the honeycomb and will probally use it.

Latter. Scott

Just got a piece for Si Smith a couple months ago for his wide body SC project. It was 3/8 " thick, and a hole lot lighter than 1/4 " plywood. I think it was used as flooring at McDonald Douglas, and was some sort of grafite type product. Very Light, Very strong. Can't remember all the details (got the piece from a friend), but Si (WiFlier) could tell you. Don't know the legal end of it, I think Si is building his as an experimental.
Wilbur

Wilbur brings up a good point, we are useing this term "honeycomb" generically. There are many different Varieties. Each one with different Characteristics. Skins can be fiberglass, graphite, kevlar, carbon fiber, tedlar or aluminun. core can be aluminun, micarta, foam or balsa wood(the latter two are not technically honeycomb). Then there are the actual honeycomb cell sizes, the larger the cell the lighter the panel. in turn the larger the cell the weaker the panel.

But the most common in use are the fiberglass skinned/micarta cored variety. It gives good strength to weight to cost. But it will weigh more than say a graphite panel.

I know, it's a cub and we are not dealing with the space station here. I just put this in for the old food for thought value.

Take care. Scott.

With regards to floor boards. Check out Phil at CAC in Palmer AK. 907-376-7111. He has a form core approve floor boards for cubs, that looks great. also ask about his kydex side panels for cubs, also approved that he sells.
You can talk to Earl at North Land 907-746-1803. Along with Phil Earl lives in Palmer, AK. He sells stock wood & form core floor boards for the cubs. there are both approved.
Both nice people to work with.
Personnally I have a had time wondering why I would want to use diamond plate for a floor board for a cub.
good luck :wink:

Back