• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bush Pilot Gear..

Funny, I saw this thing on bush flying on the Wings channel the other day and they asked this old guy "What is a bush pilot?", he replied, "A bush pilot is not someone who wears a t-shirt that says bush pilot on it" So I think that rule would apply. That's why I will never put that on a shirt.

portagecreek said:
I thought that us pilots that live in the bush usually wear Carharts.

Gary

That's good Gary, one should always wear protection...

Carhartts? They aren't even waterproof!
I'll go with Gore-Tex and a nice warm WOOLY liner...:p

I used to wear Goretex and nylon until I saw a few fire victims. I'd try to wear my old issue nomex flight suit , but it just doesn't fit like it did 25+ years ago. Seriously though, Carharts might save your butt in a flash fire situation since they have a mostly cotton shell. Something to think about!

Ursa Major...
Twas a joke, I wear Carhartts like the next guy--can't beat the flannel lined trousers! As we all know it is pretty well perpetually drizzling in Fall in Western Alaska and the Gore-Tex Parka I have does no good after about an hour in the rain (USMC issue).
Andy

Andy,

I too don't wear Gore Tex anymore. After spending time in Southeast in the brush, it just doesn't hold up. Helly Hansen's (away from a fuel source) work the best if you really need rain gear.

As for stuff to wear in the airplane, Army Navy on 4th Ave. carries Nomex fleece which seems to work real well. It's made in Canada and is called "Actionwest FR". It looks and feels just like polypro fleece, but won't support a flame or melt. They make a hooded jacket, sweat pants, and a vest. Many of the guys who work up on the slope use it. I use it on my job when I have to fly in Helicopters. We are required to wear Nomex which usually means a military style flightsuit. The fleece is an acceptable replacement.

I'm getting too old and too fat to enjoy crawling into a flight suit. The fleece works well for me. It is also available in large sizes. Eagle enterprises also stocks Nomex fleece by a different supplier. It is a bit more expensive and sizes are somewhat more limited.

Anyway, might be worth checking out.

Thanks Mike...I was born and raised in Alaska, and it's pretty cool to see all the new fangled stuff that has been coming out over the years. Also amazing to see that out of that new stuff, very little of it manages to work and hang around for the real bush People (yah, we ARE our own tribe!). I may live in Anchorage, but I spent almost two decades of my life in the Bush...Used to just be wool and Down with a Carhartt Shell...
Where in Anchorage you at Mike? You must work on the Slope...
I have seen your cub I think, you are parked over at Lk. Hood right?
Andy

Actually Andy I work in the wilds of south Anchorage. The cub used to live at Lake Hood before I bought it. It's at Merrill now.

In most cases its hard to beat wool, but when was the last time you saw an Alaskan Tuxedo (Filson or Woolrich). That had to be one of the most practical outfits a guy could have. With those and a pair of Bean boots you could handle everything from weddings and funerals to Saturday nite in Spenard.

Sounds interesting...I live in South Anchorage, right off International Apt. Rd.
I like bunny boots, but then I tried flying with them (on wheels) and I couldn't get to the brakes!:)
Usually the Cub is parked at Dan's, it's getting the annual done right now while I am in Atlanta for the Holidays...hopefully it will be done when I get home!
Andy (N82712)

Bush Pilot Gear

1) Old faded Carhart jacket (original brown) with a few oil stains.

2) Old faded Levi 501 jeans (button ups for you state side "Bush Pilots")

3) Carhart canvas shirt.

4) Old faded Fish Cannery baseball style cap.

5) Serengeti Aviator sunglasses.

6) Knee high rubber boots and a pair of old grungy white leather tennis shoes (shoes for flying, boots for walking around once you get there).

7) A complete set of Peter Storm rain gear, stored in a place easy to get to.

8) An old camp fire-blackened coffee pot for waiting out bad weather.

9) A current tide table book, fishing & hunting regs.

10) A pair of well broken-in Wells Lamont leather gloves.

Just a few of the things I won't leave home without. Crash

Mike,

You're over on the ski strip? Nice looking Cub if that's yours. Got mine over at Dan's been there for over 3 years now, pretty convenient getting fuel at Spernaks (I get the discount there). Pak is parked over on what I believe is Quebec 2? Anyway, we should all get together some nice weekend and have a flyout lunch? Dave C.? Anyone else...? Something to keep the spirits up over the winter. :evil: Just a thought...
Andy

I once met a fellow who wore a baseball cap with "Alaskan Bush Pilot" on it in big letters. He was a grizzled kind of guy in his early 60s, but had only a few hours in Cessna 150s (no PPL), and he definitely did NOT live in Alaska. Pretty pathetic.

... add to that list a deck of cards and cribbage board. Guarantees that someone will share that pot of coffee. :morning:

Bunny boots a must for winter flying in Alaska!

Last winter I was out flying on a blue bird day for some reason I had to land my plane on this little lake just because I could, I guess? I did a high speed taxi around the lake and returned to my tracks another pilot flying above me could see no overflow and I had not seen any either so I stopped the plane in its old tracks. As I shutdown my engine the ski's broke through the crust of snow I was way stuck in some deep overflow. My ski tips where still exposed so I jumped out of the plane to look things over. The first thing I noticed was my felt lined boots filling up with ice cold water the outside temp was about zero and it was mid afternoon. I waved my friend off and we chated on the radio I tried to find a area he could land to help me. I sloshed around for 20 min the whole lake was a mess in one place the overflow was almost knee deep I tried to power the plane out with no luck. I finaly called my buddy on the radio thinking I might be spending the night and asked him to fly back to my house and get me my bunny boots. My felt lined boots where worthless at this point if I had had my bunny boots with me once I got to shore I would have dumped them out and put on some dry socks. Then the bunny boots would have been good as new due to the fact of there felt liner is sealed and will not get wet.

Long story short I did get my plane out that day but not without lots of weeping, whaling and nashing of teeth. Thank God for Bore props and big ski's.

I have read and talked to people about the new synthetic clothing (polar Fleece) there has been several people that have suffed burns from it after they have escaped the wreck. Polar Fleece is made from plastics and wants to return to that once it starts on fire, it will literally melt into your skin once it starts burning it will substain its own fire to continue its meltdown. This is what I have been told about polar fleece and I believe it.

Cub_Driver

P.S. Nomex fleece is on my Christmas list.

You ought to try the NOMEX fleece as described in an earlier post. It does not melt, won't support a flame, and works just as well as regular poly fleece. It doesn't use plastic zippers or nylon reinforcing tapes either. I wear mine all the time and find it very comfortable (maybe not too stylish, but comfortable).

Back