• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Burls AOSS

Thanks M1,

I didn't know Burl was working on such a thing.

I Have been mulling-over a "rebound-dampened" system for the Cub, but I got no further than the initial thought.

Burl's other products are first-rate, and I'm sure this one will be right in there.

Dave Calkins.

So just what does the hydrasorb do anyway?

I thought they did extension and rebound damping, although my 45 year old hydrasorbs may not be doing anything useful now. On a landing at a lumpy strip, I sure get some interesting hops, kinda thought that was just the way it was supposed to be. Those same lumps can be pretty useful on takeoff, having been tossed into the air more than a few times.

Sure, the hydrasorbs are doing some dampening.

But, having bounced one on once or twice, I could see a need for a more precise rebound dampening rate.

I was thinking along the lines of a coil-over shock with some external adjusters to manipulate the compression and rebound dampening. Yhis is everyday technology in the motorcycle industry.

Maybe Burl has gotten the dampening down to a good average.

Of course, that average could be skewed by the size of your rocks and the frequency of their occurrence.

Also, a spring pre-load would be nice.

That's all just gravy, though. The important thing is to plunk that Cub down and have the gear absorb what they will and not sproing you back into the air.

Dave Calkins.

Burl's AOSS

Testing on the AOSS is continuing after the 1st of the year. Our accelerations are finally down to 3.4 Gs compared to the hydrasorb's 3.6 Gs.

Also, on the second "bounce" the hydrasorb posted a 2.64 Gs while the AOSS posted 1.35 Gs. In other words, the tires never left the ground on the second bounce with the AOSS.
It was quite impressive to watch the drop test; it was immediately apparent that we got what we were looking for..... No "slingshot" back into the air.

The tires stay on the ground so you can concentrate on stopping short as well as landing short.

Burl

Burl, Welcome to the site!

I'm glad that you could take time to comment here.

What size and type tire are you using for these initial tests?

Do you have STC finished for this mod?

Will you be including the -12's and -14's using PA-18 style gear on the list?

How about the J-3/PA-11?

Thanks again for your comments.

Dave Calkins.

Man you are quick on the Questions Dave. I am impressed!
Happy New year in 18 minutes!

Tim

Back