• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying a Super Cub in Alaska

Jeff Flaugher

Michigan
Ok guys, I hope to spark a lot of discussions on this one.
My wife, Kids and I are planning a two-week trip to Alaska this summer. (around mid July)
As much as I would like to fly my cub there, the Mrs. says it would be a little cramped with 4-people. So we are flying commercial. Our aunt and uncle live and Sitka, so I’m sure we will be stopping by for a quick visit.
My question is, once we get there, I would like to get some time in a cub for some sight seeing, fishing and just flying. Maybe on some floats? I thought about doing the 3-day float course but I would probably get in to much trouble with the little lady about being gone so much.

Flying a Super Cub in Alaska on Floats............. :lol:
Gentlemen, It doesn't get any better than that.
Hope you guys have some good ideas/suggestions.
Jeff

Alaska Float Ratings gives float instruction and mountain flying instruction in a Supercub. Their base is Trail Lake, which is about 90 minutes of the prettiest driving there is south of Anchorage. If you don't like that, you're not breathing. I'll look for the phone number. If I remember right, he'll also come to Lake Hood with some planning. If you can, go to Trail Lake. It's a quick drive from Seward, where there are accommodations and your family can have some fun without you.
SB

www.arctic.net/akfloats/

Stewart,

The information that you sent looks absolutely perfect!!!!
I have contacted Scenic Mountain Air and am scheduling a trip.
Thanks a bunch for your help.

Jeff

:D Jeff, I also went to Scenic Mountain Air for a float rating. Went with the wife last July. They usually have 4-6 "students" and each flies 1-3 times daily. They use 2 float equiped pa-18's. We stayed in a little rental cabin w/in walking distance. This allowed my wife to take the rental car for siteseeing, fishing, shopping, exploring, while I was flying. I bought the "10 hour" package, but 5-7 will get you ready for check-ride. These guys know how to fly! I've never had so much fun in my life! I still feel that it's the best float/mountain flying course available.
They took the supercubs to arizona, for the winter, to do taildragger endorsements. I'm planning to go in about a month. Hope you go to Moose Pass for the experience! It's great!

Ptarmigan Air on Lake Hood offers the same.

It's a 135 op. with 2 Beavers and 2 PA-18's. They happen to roost right next door to the shack that the Moose Pass outfit uses when it comes to Hood.

Steve of Ptarmigan Air is a very nice guy with tons of backcountry experience, and teaches methods that plenty of long-time Ak. pilots never heard of. He's a good "teacher", even though that's not what he does full-time. Full-time, this guy's a bush pilot.

...just another option, should you want to check into it.

Dave Calkins.

Jeff

While your out flying you could send your wife and kids to Seward for the day I am sure they woud enjoy going a tour of the Kenia Fiords it is a great way to see Alaska marine life. Seward is also the home of the Marine life center that two can be interesting tour.

Cub_Driver

Back