• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

carb & cabin heat cables

Crosswater36

Oregon
Still in the process of completing my PA-18 project after nearly 3 years and new to your WebSite! Great information, Thanks! ...

still looking for comments re. moving the 'side' mounted carb & cabin heat cables onto the inst. panel? Does this require an STC? Is it worth the effort?
Thanks again!

Chris..........I rebuilt mine a couple years ago and left them where they were. It seemed easier that way since I relocated most everything else to the front panel. I got a field approval for relocating the electrical, mag switch, and circuit breakers.

I like them left on the side. If you do put them in the panel, add some reinforcement. The panel is thin and will crack around the cable mount over time. I don't think there is a STC for this, as far as approval, it's up to whoever is going to sign your logs. I'd skip the potential agrivation and keep them on the side. I think Univair still sells the offset knobs, and other original parts, if you are missing them.

After relocating my cabin heat cable back to it's original position, I did notice one disadvantage. You can't lock the side cables and they tend to move, probably due to vibration. That is to say, it's hard to regulate the cabin heat with the original side cables.

It's not worth the effort of a Field Approval for the change, so I will live with the minor inconvenience, especially in view of the FAA's recent BAD attitude about Field Approvals.

I just got my FA for Bushwheels back today. In talking with one of the ASI's I'm finding out that most FSDO's responded negatively to the FA directive and I would look for things to gradually return to "normal".

Back