• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Air filter part #

murph

Rotan, TX.
I went to change my air filter today and couldn't find a new filter locally, which isn't a real surprise given we barely have a grocery store. But the worst part was that the old filter didn't have a part number on it, so I couldn't order one. It's the cylindrical with the cone cover on the front. Can someone give me a filter number(Fram or whatever)?
Thanks,
murph

CA122PL Fram thats the only legal one however I have run WIX NAPA Car Quest etc.

cubdrvr said:
Fram CA122PL
NAPA 2220
WIX 42220
Purolator AFP 28

The filter on my PA-18 is 8.5 x 6 which matches the WIX number. The NAPA number is a larger filter.

Anyone have an updated NAPA number or am I running the wrong filter size?

Follow up to this, I ordered the NAPA 2220 and it was the correct size. Even though its listed on the NAPA Parts Finder as being 10+ inches tall, it came out to the correct size.

I had followed this thread but hadn't purchased a new NAPA 2220 filter until today -- for $19.99. I had purchased a filter 120 hrs back from Aircraft Spruce advertised as a Fram CA122PL for $61.25. I have studied the two and I think they were made by the same filter manufacturer. The NAPA one is on the left.
Darrel
P1110031.JPG

P1110033.JPG

Went back this afternoon to buy a second one and the mesh and construction was totally different so I left it there -- probably OK but I didn't like the fact that the second NAPA filter looked nothing like the first one, much finer mesh and the mesh seam looked poorly done. I would buy more like the first one but unfortunately, I would have to be able to go through their stock to pick and chose. Now I'm pretty disappointed in the NAPA experience.
Darrel

Nope! They said that they get all of their filters from Wix and they should all be the same ... but they are not the same, go figure.
Darrel

My 180hp Cub with Larry Bauer airbox uses the 2220 series. I recently bought a NAPA one and it looked fine to me.

I just ordered two more from the NAPA on-line store. They were $18.23 each plus shipping. I'll let you know which version I get.
Your store might have the older better ones at the old price -- you might want to stock up.

Your shipment will include the following items:

Item: Air Filter (Gold), Air Filter; 8.56"; 4.56"; 115.8
Product Number: FIL2220
Quantity: 2
Price: 18.29
Core Price: 0.00
Total Credit: 36.58

=============================================
Subtotal: 36.58
Tax: 2.84
Shipping: 7.95
Total: 47.37

Darrel

Mine has the engraved CA122PL on the left side of it. I believe this is the serial number of my air filter. Before letting the box of your air filter go, you have to make sure that you have the basic information listed by you so that whatever happens you have them.

Here is the latest cheap a** NAPA filter element #2220. The paper thin screen came predented and prestained with a spot of grease. If I use it, I will check it often to see if the screen comes apart. Compare this picture with the one I posted before of the "good" NAPA filter before they changed sources or whatever.
Disgusted Darrel (DD)
P1110160.JPG

I miss the good old days when you could still get the well built orange end Fram filter, now it's nothing but cheap shit from China.

at one time a few years/decade ago Univair was having theirs custom made with a grove for the dome to fit into on one end... and a real PMA part number, and $$$$

Hi Guys. What's the lastest info and source on air filters? I was heading the Aircraft Spruce way but after reading Darrel's post above thought the question was worth asking.

The latest WIX filters I have found all have the smaller mesh as seen above. Anyone found a source for the large mesh filters?

Last October I ordered a Fram CA122 filter from Aircraft Spruce at $112.75. With postage and tax $136.73 and the strong USD, it was $196.32 in my AUD currency . Bloody hell! This is getting expensive for an air filter that some recommend changing annually.

I've been looking a the Cub Crafters web site this morning and see the filters, with what appears to be the metal mess surrounding the paper pleats, at $42.32.

Am I missing something? That's a big difference in price.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 8.23.32 am.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 8.23.32 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 8.23.32 am.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 170
Last October I ordered a Fram CA122 filter from Aircraft Spruce at $112.75. With postage and tax $136.73 and the strong USD, it was $196.32 in my AUD currency . Bloody hell! This is getting expensive for an air filter that some recommend changing annually.

I've been looking a the Cub Crafters web site this morning and see the filters, with what appears to be the metal mess surrounding the paper pleats, at $42.32.

Am I missing something? That's a big difference in price.

If you order the CC part, you will get the Wix 42220, which, as others have said, is about 18 bucks at the auto store.

View attachment 24923

If you order the Cub Crafters part, you will receive a Wix box with part number 42220 stamped on the side. As others have stated, it's about $18 at the auto parts store or internet.

$16+ for the Wix at Amazon or you can order box of two or three, up to six at a time. Basically 1/2 the price of CC.

But is the outer mesh made of metal and rigid or plastic as Daryl found out when he went back to the autostore?

Texmex, actually the screen on the cheap one I photographed is metal -- just thinner than the others.
And the best one ever, in my opinion, was the now unattainable original Fram which had a very strong wire mesh and a ridge in the end rubber so the cartridge would center. I have a new Fram I keep around to show folks what the real stuff used to look like. The Fram is on the right, older NAPA on the left.

P1170575.jpg
P1170572.jpg

And this is the latest CA122 from Fram.
Current Fram CA122.jpg
And, although I complained in the 2010 post about the latest design, I've used it now for about 200 hours and the wire cage is still perfectly in place. It also is lighter (11 vs 18 oz.) than the original with the large wire. What I really really really miss is the groove in each end to center everything.

Attachments

• P1170575.jpg
    P1170575.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 172
  • Current Fram CA122.jpg
    Current Fram CA122.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 167
  • P1170572.jpg
    P1170572.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 165
I've heard there can be a problem getting the 2220's to seal at the airbox.

Is this a real problem? And if so.. Any good fix for this...?

Thanks...!

Kem

Back