• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Information on Ski Fernandez hydraulic skis

planecrazy

Lincoln,Maine
Does anyone have experience with or information on availability of Ski
Fernandez Hydraulic skis? I have a set on my Supercub and the fiberglass is not in the best condition. They seem to work well here in Maine. Thanks, Planecrazy. :roll:

Hi planecrazy

Most of the skis used in Switzerland and France are of type Fernandez. I myself do use them. Unfortunately Mr. Fernandez is not around anymore and there are no more skis on stock anywhere.

There is a Swiss adaptation of that kind of skis. They are excellent but expensive. Here some pictures:

SkiSeite.jpg

SkiVorne.jpg

SkiPHX.jpg

This skis do use exactly the same fittings as the Fernandez. No problem just to replace the skis and using all the rest.
You can buy them from Mr. Ueli Rösti Switzerland e-mail u.roesti@bluemail.ch or Mr. Thomas Dietrich Germany SNOWBIRDXX@aol.com

Hans

Hans, I know the story on the muffler, but what type of shock absorbers are those that are on the main gear? They look interesting. Nice looking skis also, is the pivot arm made of carbon fiber?

I think I've seen the prop before somewhere. Also of interest is the Cherokee? (possibly?) nose bowl.

SuperCub MD said:
Hans, I know the story on the muffler, but what type of shock absorbers are those that are on the main gear? They look interesting. Nice looking skis also, is the pivot arm made of carbon fiber?
This absorbers are absolutely common in Switzerland. In fact I never saw a Super Cub without them here around. I know that there is a supply problem with those. But I cannot tell where they are from in the first place.

Skis are of fiberglass, propeller is Hoffmann and a composite of wood and fiberglass. That plane has a O-360 180 HP. The Swiss aviation authority requires the muffler and that propeller for that engine. The plane is very quiet but sounds like a sewing machine, just terrible!

The nose is indeed from a Cherokee. But you will find other ones as well. Therefore its not a question of better prop efficiency, but just to fit over the bigger engine.

And last question: the pivot arm is of fiber carbon, really not very inexpensive

Hans

Shock absorbers

Mark,

I was looking for some parts in A/C Spruce and on page 191 of the 2002/2003 catalog they have some shock absorbers that look like the ones in the previous post. The add says not FAA approved and $1,895.00 a set.

Si

WIflier

I just checked my Spruce and read that the absorbers come from Italy.

That in mind I remember talking to an older Italian Super Cub driver last summer at Wels Austria at the European Super Cub Fly-in who told me that he has produced a replica of the absorbers I have fitted. He also told me that those are the only ones still available on the market. He therefore is selling them trough Spruce.

But this dos not explain where they are from in the first place. You can find them all over Europe. Are there really non at all in the US?

Hans

Hans,

I have never seen them in the US could you get a closer picture of both ends at the attach point. They would be ok for the standard gear but would need modification for the extened gear. Also do you see them for sale used over there and what kind of price do they bring. If you can get the pictures you can e-mail me direct at siks@ticon.net if you like. Thanks in advance.

Si

OK folks

I know now where this absorbers came from. Many years ago there was a Cub and Super Cub rebuilder in Switzerland like Cubcrafters today called Daetwyler. He invented those absorbers. The improvement in handling on ground was that overwhelming that in no time almost every Cub and Super Cub in Switzerland were fitted with this items. The company meantime does no more rebuildings but I heard that some stock of the absorbers is left and went to another company. It happens to be the shop where my Cub is maintained. I will call there to find out how many are left and how much they would cost.

Hans

CUB GEAR

THERE IS A WRITE UP IN THE AUG ISSUE OF VINTAGE MAGIZINE ON THESE SHOCKS. PAGE 20 ORGINALY APPROVED BY THE SWISS FAA IN 1949. THERE IS A DRWG OF THE INTERNALS ALSO. DEVELOPED BY WILLY KUHN.

Hans

Thanks very much for the pictures and any other information you may come up with. It looks like any modification would have to be made to the lower end for the extended gear.

Happy Holidays,

Si

I don?t see any of the Atlee Dodge safety cables on any of the posted pictures. Has it been determined that this, added safety measure, is no longer needed. If so I?d like to shed the added weight The skies look pretty good, and it looks like there?s plenty of room for a 26 inch tire. I?d like to pickup a pair if any one knows of a pair used or if any one knows if they're still being made some where please pass on the information. Thanks

info on Ski Fernandez Skis

Valdez: Thanks to Swisscubpilot and Thomas Dietrich,....Check out Rosti Fernandez Skis -SNOWBIRDXX@aol.com They have been most helpful in giving me pricing and info on ski replacement. planecrazy

THERE IS A WRITE UP IN THE AUG ISSUE OF VINTAGE MAGIZINE ON THESE SHOCKS. PAGE 20 ORGINALY APPROVED BY THE SWISS FAA IN 1949. THERE IS A DRWG OF THE INTERNALS ALSO. DEVELOPED BY WILLY KUHN.

Hello Tim,

I just read this thread, it is a little dated, but could provide what vol. Num this article came from? I would like to ask for a copy of it.

regards,

jose

Good morning. Has anyone tried putting the new Rosti parts on an old set of Ski Fernandez? I am trying to renovate an old set. Thanks. Dennis

Have a set of older Fernandez wheel skis that are in excellent condition that I would like to sell. Skis with Petex bottoms,pump,3"extened Atlee gear. Set up for PA-18. In Palmer,Alaska. If interested call 907-745-3112

Have a set of older Fernandez wheel skis that are in excellent condition that I would like to sell. Skis with Petex bottoms,pump,3"extened Atlee gear. Set up for PA-18. In Palmer,Alaska. If interested call 907-745-3112

So, for all of you knowledgable ski drivers out there, how much of a compromise are wheel skiis over straights? If a straight ski is a 10 what are wheel skiis? All thing being equal. Craig

Repositionable wheel skis are a 20 Craig as you get straight ski performace with the ability to put the wheels down and go "off road"..... penetration wheel skis.. about a 6 for performance, but a 12 for being able to go from gravel/pavement (indoor hangar) to paradise over a straight ski.!

Anyone have any info on the above-mentioned "older" fernandez skiis for sale? Anyone with flying experience with them?

Repositionable wheel skis are a 20 Craig as you get straight ski performace with the ability to put the wheels down and go "off road"..... penetration wheel skis.. about a 6 for performance, but a 12 for being able to go from gravel/pavement (indoor hangar) to paradise over a straight ski.!

Id agree generally.

The one down side to both penetration skis and retractable skis is additional weight.....you're now carrying around not only the weight of the skis, which is often substantial, but also the weight of wheels, brakes, etc.

That said, retractable wheel skis are wonderful devices on many levels. Some are better than others, so one can't generalize totally by saying retractable a are ALWAYS better than penetration skis, but... My experience with penetration skis has been that they are a compromise, and don't perform as well as retractables, particularly in deep snow or crusty snow. But again, there are different skis and different snow conditions.

i see a lot of ski flying pictures on the web in snow conditions where one could operate on wheels....if that's the kind of snow you'll be operating, penetration skis will work just fine....as a sort of safety device in case the snow ends up being deeper than you thought. On the other hand, I know some folks who operate penetration skis in some pretty deep snow as well.

But, straight skis will almost always outperform ANY wheel-ski in deep snow or challenging conditions.

And, finally, ANY ski will get you good and stuck in some snow conditions/depths. And the bigger/heavier the plane, the more likely you are to get stuck, of course. I've been so stuck in a 185 on 3600 retractable wheel skis I thought I'd never get out of there. That is known as "operator error", though. In real deep snow, in my opinion, it's almost impossible to have skis that are too big (bottom area). And, penetration skis give up some bottom area for the wheel penetration.

Ive be never flown a set of the Los Fernandez wheel skis, but I do have substantial experience in lots of different snow conditions on the later Rosti Fernandez skis, and in my opinion, they are the best skis around....light, huge bottoms, and a great design.

Hangaring a straight ski plane is no big deal, but operating from most airports sure can be, not to mention trying to find gas. Unless you have a VERY ski friendly airport, like Fairbanks Intl. where they groom strip and taxiways, or you have your own strip you can groom, then some form of wheel ski is about mandatory.

MTV

Last edited:
Wayne, as I recall, you have a pair of akuminum wheel skiis you built, right?

Yes... the third rendition of wheel skis I've made for her in 18+ years since first flight. The first set was fixed penetration and the second adjustable penetration. These ones are hydraulic plate repositionable using the same hand pump / selector valve as the amphibs use.

Just did my change over yesterday from the amphibs to my ski gear.

djkhydwheelskis.jpg

Attachments

• djkhydwheelskis.jpg
    djkhydwheelskis.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 234
Back