• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

fuselage modifications

S2D

Montana
I know this was kinda covered recently but wanted to narrow it down to just fuselage tubing. What are some of the recommendations to do in modifying the fuselage structure before I prime it. I already plan on:
1. X brace in skylight
2. reinforce tail section
3. Tabs for metal belly at rear
4. 3rd seat and inverted dogleg
5. removeable rear crossbar
6. tabs for shoulder harnesses
7. extra handle on lower longeron

Any particular things for the 18A as I will be doing one of each.

Would like to add necessary reinforcements for the 2000 lb gross weight increase but don't want to shell out the couple thousand yet as these projects will probably be a couple years to complete.

Does Jerry Burr's independent drooped aileron system take any special airframe modifications?

Even if you don't plan to put it on floats, it might be worthwhile to weld in float fittings. If you ever sell it, it might be a deciding factor for a new buyer.

As stated earlier, bushing in the tail spring mounting hole,
and zirk fitting in Stab connector at jackscrew

Tim

If you have the time and inclination you could weld tabs and rivet in nutplates to attach trim panels, (eliminate as many as possible any use of PK screws, especially in the windor frame area and anywhere you will be removing for "annuals, and regular maintenance. I have recently seen nut plates installed under all floor boards, making them removable! (way cool!!

It all depends on how annal you are about stripped out screws?
If I had my way all metal panels would be removable with Dzus fastners
Tim

Mod

Cut out the 3/8" channel at the rear of the skylight and make a sheetmetal bulkhead like the front of the skylight with a 3/4" top flange. Install floating nut plates for the rear skykight trim strip screws. Weld a sheet metal flange to the rear seat cross tube and install nut plates for the seat lid hinge to attach to. I have my rear seat lid removable (take lid off and lift out storage tray) with a few screws along with the baggage and extended baggage floors. No need for a metal belly, go in from the top. Crash

Back