• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Piper Service Bulletin 1044

Mutt

FRIEND
Hi Guys, a question concerning Piper's Service Bulletin 1044 - installing an inspection cut-out under the leading edge fwd of the front lift strut attach point at the spar-- does anyone know if this became an AD? If it did I sure can't find it. If not an AD, is it a highly recommended thing to do?

I know Univair sells a kit to do this---are there any other ways to accomplish this w/o putting holes in the bottom side of the L/E?

I assume that this would be applicable to all Cubs--I've got a PA-11.

Thanks for any help,

Mutt

It is not an AD. You can use the inspection plates as called out in the service bulletin. The manufacturer quit making them after the SB came out. Univair's kit has ones they manufacture and a glue in grommet and is pricey. I drill the hole with a Uni-bit or hole saw, inspect and install the plate, very simple. I have a couple of sets left if you need them. I have never found a problem in this area. Piper called Clyde Smith in to consult on this problem. He told me the one that failed was on a banner tow Super Cub that was based outside on the eastcoast pulling along the beaches. He said the part looled like a piece of farm machinery that had been outside for 50 years. His major concern is all the steel fittings bolted to the aluminum in the wings, ailerons and flaps. Piper used the dope out of the bottom of the vats to paint these parts and after time you get dis-sililar metal corrosion. See my aileron spar picture in the photo gallery for an example.

Steve

Always sight up your lift struts, and see if attach brackets are inline with strut, and not bowed down, especially after frontal wind event....

The way we handled this: We have Dakota Cub wings with the hole in the leading edge material but we didn't cut the hole. The inspection cover that would go in the hole is a Tinnerman round plate. We have those painted to match the wing salted away in case this becomes an AD. In which case, we will cut through the fabric, inspect and put the Tinnermans over the hole -- ' hope that doesn't happen.
Darrel

Thanks for the reply with my binary mind I find the concept of Mandatory service Bulletins a bit of an an odd thing to grasp, why not make them ADs from the get go or is that a job for the FAA only?

UKCN

Back