• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Propeller Recommendation?

Anne

SE Michigan
I've got a climb prop on my plane, 150 hp, 26" Goodyears. Although taking off in a very short distance is a lot of fun, I won't really be using 300' strips, but I do plan on flying cross-country. Would the standard prop be better? Or the cruise prop? Any recommendations as to length and pitch would be appreciated.

Anne.

Anne..........I've got both props ( the Borer and the standard Sensenich) and thought I would swap them depending on usage. Sensenich for x/c trips and the Borer for local. I found I just leave the Borer on all the time.......less hassle and the speed gained on the x/c's with the Sensenich is minimal.

I've got a freshly overhauled cruise prop collecting dust in the hangar because I never take the time to swap out props for "cross-country" work.

Yes, a bit of cruise speed gain, but not enough to trade it for the pull of the long prop when getting out of the destination landing zone.

My vote is with those of Digg and DRVR. Stick with the 82" dia. and whatever pitch your engine will still make static RPM with.

Dave Calkins.

The McCauley 1A175GM8242 (41-44) is the Borer prop.
Does anyone know anything about the 1A175ETM8042 ?
Will it fit the O-320 A2B ?

Hans

The ETM8042 (Also the superseded ATM8042) is the sea plane prop for a 172I,K,L,M. These 172's have a O-320-E2D, so this prop should fit any O-320 series.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll just keep the climb prop on, and save myself some money. :lol:

Anne.

Anne, I know a guy with a Sonerai II project....Another homebuilt for you that has plenty of speed for the X-country work. The a/c is in central California. If you don't know what the Sonerai series were, they are a cute little tandem seat mid or low wing design that looks like the Goodyear racer planes, and powered by VW. I've been thinking of one for years, but don't have a need or justification.

Dave Calkins.

The McCauley ETM8042 - would it give performance similar to a Borer
prop on a Cub (experimental) ? Thanks for the advice!

Hans

Another question on the same topic.

I just bought a Borer prop (8241) for my PA-20-125. I am wondering if the prop will work with the 125 or if I should wait until I install the 150/160? Has anybody tried something like this? I will probably try it anyway... :eek:

Hi guys.

Hans, sorry you didn't get any answers very quickly. That 80/42 will be 2 inches shorter than the Borer. That's an inch on the end of each blade that is working very hard. I'm not sure if it will perform as well as the 82/42 Borer.

ArcticAce, that 125 won't swing the 82/41 what it needs to be swung. You would be lugging your engine. I can't recommend a specific prop, but don't believe the 82/41 to be a feasible choice, besides the illegality of its installation on a 125.

Sorry. My opinion.

Dave Calkins.

David M. Calkins said:
Hi guys.

Dave Calkins.

Dave...

What prop do you have on the O-235?... I'm still hoping to find the "perfect" metal prop for my O-235-C1 (2800 rpm)...

OK how about the best prop for floats on the 160 HP PA-18.

I'd say 80% floats/ 20% those old 29 inch Bush wheels.

If the warm weather keeps up, it may be 100% floats before long.

Gary

Your Kidding, Gary. We have ice here finally and the mountains seem to be getting snow, though the last couple of rounds have been warm at elevation.

I'm gonna say the most pitch (42,43, 44) that you can still get static RPM of 2350 or a little more on is the best choice. Wouldn't you agree?

Most 160's will easily do 2350 with a properly pitched 82/42 and maybe barely with a 43. Some of the experimental "160's"(dynoing more than that, with those high compr. pistons) will do better than 2350 with an 82/44.

When I say "properly pitched" I mean checked by a propshop. I don't even take the new Borers out of the box. They go right to the propshop. I've gotten one that measured an average of 41 on a blade and 47 on the other blade. Yes, very rough running. Not worth the crapshoot of my time, and McCauley will warranty the "pitching/re-pitching".

I just had an idea: If you are on floats and don't need maximum "out-of-the-hole" performance, you could pitch an inch or two high, sacrifice the static RPM, but get a bit better in cruise. Or get a Husky. Just joking.

Dave Calkins.

arcticace said:

I just bought a Borer prop (8241) for my PA-20-125. I am wondering if the prop will work with the 125 or if I should wait until I install the 150/160? Has anybody tried something like this? I will probably try it anyway... :eek:
Univair has an STC for the 82/40 on a PA-18S with 125 hp so you could possibly repitch yours and get it approved. I didn't look in the PA-20's but they might have one for that too.

Dave,
I've just bought a PA18-180. The prop on it is a Hartzell 76EM8-0-52. I haven't flown Cubs much but this thing seems to climb quicker than it can cruise. I mainly want to use the aircraft for cross country touring. What do you suggest re the prop??
Mike

Thanks David, thanks S2D,

I found that Borer really cheap so I bought it on the spot. :D
I figured it would be marginal with the 125. I'll probably wait until I upgrade the engine to put the prop on.

Mike, I'm not the guy to ask about "cruise" props for a Cub.

I gladly accept the compromise of a climb prop because I don't consider the Cub to be a "cross-country" machine. I want climb performance over cruise performance.

I once ferried a wrecked, but flyable Cub that had a cruise prop on it for the ferry flight. I was surprised to see 110MPH on the ASI.

Most other guys that have cruise props on Cubs haven't seen enough speed gain to warrant removal of the climb prop.

I suppose you tailor the tool for the job, No?

Good Luck.

Dave Calkins

I fly a max of three hour legs so if I use a cruise prop I get there 10-15 minutes quicker at the most. I would rather get out of the short places than gain so little time. Just my opinion. It would be nice to have Bonanza type cruise speeds sometimes I'll have to admit.

Dave -- An honest 110 on the ASI?? Maybe a big hammer applied to the airframe is the correct solution to the speed issue -too bad you didn't get a chance to put the long prop on that plane and see if it was just the prop that made it so fast. I don't think my needle could get that high going straight down under full power and I've still got a short prop, pitched to 56".

Thanks Dave. I looked up my logs and the prop thats fitted to my aircraft is a 76" diameter. At 2350 rpm it cruises at around 85 kts indicated.

Also the Flight Manual Supplement for the 180 hp conversion refers to STC SA36RM and says " when a Lycoming O-360 series engine and Sensenich fixed pitch prop is installed". The limitations in the supplement then refer specifically refer to the propellor, and that section specifies the prop as a Sensenich 76EM8-0-52. Does this mean that the model of prop on my aircraft cannot be changed??

Any comments would be welcomed. Maybe the setup on my aircraft now is the correct one. I don't have enough experience with Cubs to know.

When I say cross country, everywhere in Australia is a long way but I still need to be able to land on roads and in fields near gas stations along the way to refuel!! Thank goodness it's a Cub!

Mike

Couper Rod, sorry! I should have said it was a PA-14. It did 95 MPH with a Borer, stock landing gear, and 8.50x10's on Gar-aero's.

"Thank goodness it's a Cub". The quote of the week. If you guys have followed the "Cub VS. ???" thread, you know what I mean. Though a Husky would do Mike's job just perfectly.

Mike, if the STC indicates a certain prop/engine combo, that combo is what you're stuck with until you add another STC for a different prop or get a field-approval for deviation from the STC...........In AMERICA.

I'm not sure about AUS.

Dave Calkins.

This is interesting.
I?ve got a Sensenich 7456. My airport is at 6750' and I pretty much consistently get out in about 500' with two190 pounders and full fuel (on pavement) and climb between 600-800fpm with one notch of flaps. Last weekend I took it a 320 mile round trip. East bound at 9500', return trip was west bound at 10,500'. Dead air both ways. Gps read about 110mph both ways and fuel burn worked out be 7.74gph at 2450rpm, just rich of best lean.

arcticace said:

Artic Ace:
I've got just the prop for you until you switch to 150 HP.
Its an original 82X41 prop that I shortened a little years ago using the 12 guage method. (Now that is a very rare method an its hard to find anyone that will do that for you nowadays) After that it would turn my 150 hp over 3000 RPM (for the trip home.)
I cleaned it up on the ends and loaned it to a guy with a 135 hp when he stuck his on its nose. He said it worked great.
Now we could work out some kind of swap thing since yours was acquired cheap and mine is -- well rather rare. then you'll find out your aircraft performs so good that you wouldn't want to swap engines and I'd be saving you tons of money and probably just let you keep on borrowing it. :lol: :cheers

Cavy, your numbers made me think that I ought to do the old E6B thing. My home base is 4700'. On a typical trip north through WY I'll cruise between 6500' and 7500'. ASI usually indicates 85mph, on a calm day (rare) the GPS will usually indicate 83 knots. I've always kinda ignored the mph/knots difference but it actually works out. The handy round calculator says that 85mph indicated at 6500MSL is 95mph. It also says that 83 knots is 95mph so the guage must be working. At 9500, 85 indicated would be 100 true, at 10500 it would be 102 true. That's with a Sensenich 7456 also, turning 2475-2500rpm, burning around 7.8gph, leaned a little less that a full fingernail. Haven't noticed much difference between 8.5x6s and 26" blimp tires -- maybe 1 knot. My bird is basically a stock 150, no VGs, the gear legs are standard length and not covered (this might account for some of the speed difference if your legs are covered), just safety cables hanging in the breeze. 95mph, whoo-ee, I never calculated I was going so fast!

The uncovered gear legs have more drag than the 26" tires. I covered mine even though it looked "cooler" uncovered and gained over 5mph. cruise.

Rod (CubCouper)
Your numbers sound similar to mine. I'm learning Cubs - 20 landings so far but only 1 good one! Lots of hours hrs and I still feeled shamed. Thought I knew it all till I bought a Cub! Maybe thats why I bought one!
Mike

Dave Calkins,
Appreciate your response. Generally AUS is along the same lines as you suggest. I'll do some digging but at the end of the day I looked at a lot of the old threads on SuperCub.org and maybe my machine is not flying too bad. It feels like it needs some attention to the rigging??? A couple of Kangaroos put it together! (Ok Ok I don't normally refer to mechanics like that but I bought it off two GOOD jet mechanics that know #$%^ about Cubs -they assembled it!)
Any thoughts on the prop size anyway?
Mike

Back