• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ELT false activation

Carl

Petersburg, Alaska
I've got a small problem with my elt. It seems it likes to go off when I transmit on 118.7. This is a small problem, because thats the tower frequency for Juneau, and I've only gone there twice in the last two years.
The first time I didn't know it was my elt that was blocking the frequency. I was looking for the poor guy that crashed, he was obviously close, while the tower was calling a helicopter to rescue me. I figured out it was mine when I glanced at the remote panel for the elt, saw the red light and reset it.
I thought the problem solved after I rerouted some wires, and couldn't duplicate the activation, but I went back to Juneau a couple of weeks ago, and the same thing happened.
An article in either Custom Aircraft or Hombuilt Airplane mentioned the same problem. The guy solved it by using a ferrite filter. He didn't explane the fix, but the picture looked like antenna wire wrapped around a small circular ferrite magnet.
Can anyone elaborate?
Carl

I would contact the ELT manufacturer they should be able to help. I had an ACK brand ELT in a SC that would go off everytime you shut the engine down. I called them and they said the master relay was emiting some kind of field at shut down and to put a capasitor across it. I did and it worked. Maybe the manufacturer of your ELT has had similiar problems as yours. Good Luck.

Steve

Carl I read the same article and those are torroids. There ferrite material and they are designed for certain bands of frequency's.What they do is shield the pre determined rf energy so that the radio frequency's don't interfer with your elt. Or in other words filter out the undesirable frequency's.
This should solve your problem. A company called Digi key list them for .57 cents each. Part # p11375-nd web address www.digikey.com . Hope this helps.
Eddie

Back