• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

vortex generators and wing covers

S2D

Montana
How are people dealing with the vortex generators when using wing covers?

It's really not that bad. Yes, they do snag, and yes, you need to be more careful when installing/removing the covers. As a benefit, the VG's help hold the covers in place, which is nice when you are trying to install covers by yourself in high winds.

Wing Covers and VG's

A friend has a set of VG's on his plane and he uses a 4" wide strip of material with a snap on both ends that he stretches over the VG's (length of wing) and snaps (male part of snap riveted to wing) into place before putting the covers on. Crash

VG S and Wing Covers

The best setup I have seen, and the one I use, for VGs and mesh covers is the strips Crash referenced. Stoddards in Anchorage has them. You could make your own. If you do, use vinyl for freezing rain. The snap on attachment is as described, the wing tip is simply done by contact cementing a 1.5 by 3 inch piece of velcro. Without the strips, I lost VGS. With them, I keep the VGs.

Interesting. I have never had a snag or lost a vortex generator inspite of all the predictions. I do hang up on the trim on my landing light with wing covers. The protective cover does sound like a very good idea, however. You will not like trying to get all the snow and ice out of the VGs and if you leave it there, you are on a good start to turning the VGs into spoilers.

I might stop into Stoddards and pick up a VG cover to use even when I don't use the full covers.

Do the VG covers also have a spoiler? I sleep better with the spoilers on the wing covers.

Gary

OK Thanks for the info. I might have to break down and put a set on. See more and more on aircraft every day. I guess the old rope the frost off the wings trick would be out though.

Hey, I've got a set of the "strips" to snap into place over the VG's.

I've never used them.

I've yet to tear into the nylon material wing covers. (probably will have to buy new covers next year)

I've only lost 1 VG due to covers, since they've been on these many years. (I'll probably shed a bunch this year also, since I opened my big mouth).

I catch my covers on the aux. fuel tank caps more often than the VG's when installing them.

Dave Calkins.

Gary:

The vinyl VG covers do not have spoilers on them. They will, however, also keep the VGs clean of snow etc.

Back