• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine Conversions

Crash

GONE WEST
Nikiski Alaska
I usually don't endorse products, but I just got in my Penn Yan 180hp "Tiger Cub" conversion kit and have to say it really looks good. Well packed, good instructions, nose bowl, bottom cowl, air box and dynafocal mount are nicely designed and at only $4K compared to $7K (Cubcrafters w/o mount) and $15K (Croswind STOL) I think it's a good value. Crash

Greg, Res: the Penn Yan Tiger Cub. What's your feeling about nose heaviness with this kit? Is the dynafocal set up heavier than the CC conical mount? Just wondering if the Penn Yan 180 will fly with that same happy Cub feel or be a bit piggy on landing due to a lot of extra weight in the nose? (climb ability not withstanding) Brad

Engine Conversion

Hi Crash, I'm a big fan of the "Crosswinds STOL" 180 hp Conversion and was wondering if the Penn Yan 180hp "Tiger Cub" conversion kit @ $4,000.00 included such items as the $3,800.00 big McCauley climb prop, or a $2,500.00 exhaust system designed for the bigger engine, or the rear mounted light weight oil cooler? The Crosswinds kit also includes a complete custom split cowling, air intake system, advanced heat exchanger and carb heat systems. Kirk Ellis from the SuperCub Videos has theCrosswinds conversion on his plane and says it produces more H.P. than any other 180 conversion he has used over the years.

Weight and Crosswind STOL

As far as the weight question. I don't know how the plane will fly because it's not finished yet. I do know that I took off 36 lbs of junk forward of the CG that is not going back on the plane. Adding up the additional weight of the 0-360 and dynafocal mount I am gaining back 17 lbs. I am still 19 lbs to the good with 20 hp more and a "factory new" engine instead of a factory reman 0-320-160. The cost difference is very minimal going this way.

As far as Crosswind STOL's conversion, I count Charlie as a friend and think he makes a fine product. I personally try to stick to the original design and look of the Super Cub as much as I can or get it close enough that no one will notice. The thing that I like better about the Penn Yan over the others is if anything happens to the company I can still make or get parts for the plane. No special hand built parts. The nose bowl and bottom cowl are made by Univair. The mount is made by Airframes Inc, about 15 minutes from my house by air, and they have a strip. Everyone that has a lot of experience with a 180 in a Cub said the dynafocal mount is the only way to go if you don't want to shake the plane apart. The conical mount holds the engine too tight and transmits all the viberation back into the airframe. Any of the conversions will work, I have several friends that have the Penn Yan and like it, for the money it's a good value as I said.

The Penn Yan kit includes, nose bowl, bottom cowl, dynafocal mount (optional, you may use your stock conical and deduct $500.00), engine mount rubbers, rear mount oil cooler and oil lines, rear heavy duty baffel, for oil cooler mount, new airbox, air filter, 3 new push pull cables, throttle cable mount, all attachment hardware. The props are optional but very reasonable. Their factory new engine cost blew everyone else out of the water by a mile. Crash

For those of you running experimental cubs, 12's, etc. Have you considered using the new experimental Lycoming IO-390-X for 210 hp ?

Back