• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

bungees again

JimC

Can anyone direct me to instructions for installing bungees on a 12 with 14 gear (bungee installation is the same as stock 12), and to any special tools required? Sorry for displaying my ignorance, but I have a world class supply of that, so I might as well spread it around.
Jim Cunningham

Univair sells a Service Aids, Bulletins, Letters and Memos book for all of the Ragwing Pipers. In this book is Service Memo No.11 which describes using a special Piper tool that installs the bungees and removes them. There is also a picture though not very clear to me how it works. It appears to be a similar gear to the PA16. I use a shock cord tool which hooks over the ears that holds the bungee and screws the cord up and over. Aircraft Spruce sells the tool part # 06-16600 for $195. If you want I can post a picture of the tool on a fuselage to give you a visual or I can scan the Service Memo. I would recommend buying the book. It has lots of useful info in it. Good for late nite ensomnia.

Steve

My PA12 bungee tool started life as a bumper jack. With some creative welding, it installs the cords, but it is always a cussing, swearing, life and limb threatening experience. I'm always looking for a better way, other than just throwing that silly damn gear away and installing PA18 gear.

here are some photos of a PA12 bungee tool that works quite well. It is used as a lever from inside the plane using the support truss as a fulcrum. I personally don't have the tool. but when I originally purchased my PA12 with stock gear, I used this tool to install new bungees. It took me about 5 min per bungee. the "chain hook" has hole in the end of it to put a "blunt screw driver in it to keep the bungee from slidding off". once you stretch the bungee to the height of the receiver then you can remove the screw driver and further lift the lever and slide the bungee in place.

Hope this helps. Personally, unless you have a need for speed and never intend to use your PA12 in the rough stuff, I would suggest dumping the 12 gear and replace it with PA18 gear. (we have been over that before)

Tim
bungeetool1.JPG

bungeetool2.JPG

bungeetool3.JPG

bungeetool4.JPG

bungeetool5.JPG

Thanks a bunch. These photos will be a tremendous help. I can build one of these tools pretty easily.

Re your opinion, " Personally, unless you have a need for speed and never intend to use your PA12 in the rough stuff, I would suggest dumping the 12 gear and replace it with PA18 gear. (we have been over that before)"

I hear what you are saying and appreciate it. But this is how it comes through in translation, "Jim, I think you should take a plane that can be put back in the air for about 200 more dollars and park it in an uncompleted condition for a minimum of several years till your children are out of college and you can afford to replace your brand new gear (which has never flown), so that you will find it easier to fly out of cow pastures and wheat fields in the Mississippi Delta and sand bars on the Mississippi River".

Do you really think I should put the plane aside without completing it when it is this close to flying? As an aside, I did search and rescue flying for about 17 years, mostly in a J-3 and a PA-11, and consequently still have considerably more takeoffs and landings off airport than on. But in this part of the world, 8.00x4's and 8.50x6's are more than adequate for any landing anywhere. There is no rock here, there are no hills. The whole durned region is flat to an extent that would make a pancake look mountainous. Do you honestly think the modified gear or bush wheels would make it easier to fly out of a wheat field or off a bar in the Mississippi? As an aside, the dunes on the bars in the Mississippi are shaped like sawteeth and up to about 3-4 feet high. Consequently, you always land downriver no matter what the wind is doing. Going downriver you jump off the dunes like going off a ski jump. Going upriver, they are almost vertical and high enough to flip the plane even with the largest bush wheels and extended gear. I really believe you are trying to persuade me to modify the plane to suit conditions which don't exist near anyplace it is likely to be flown.

I can't afford to fly to Alaska or Oregon and back. One of the things that has become obvious to me here is that even though I own 4 planes, most of you have far more disposable income than I do.

After the kids are out of school, I might be willing to spend a few thousand on a mod that I might expect to use only one time, or maybe twice at the most. Unless of course, you'd like to volunteer to pay for it for me... In which case, I would do an immediate about face. :)

All the best,
Jim

P.S. Thanks a bunch for the bungee tool photos

No problem Jim! I wouldn't do it either in your situation! Just ribbing you a bit! Hope the pictures of the tool help!

Enjoy the flat lands, come west when you can, you will be amazed at the scenary!

Tim

Hey Tim. The photos made my day. Big help. I would like to come out west someday. I used to live in South Fork, Colorado about 20 miles from the continental divide. We were down in the bottom of the San Juan Valley, and elevation was only about 8500 feet. Only one mountain in sight that was over 14,000 feet, so it doesn't compare with Alaska or the Northwest. It sure didn't look like it does around home though. We had to move back home because I have a problem with altitude sickness when over 6500 feet for more than a day or two.
Jim

Hi Steve, can you post the picture?
we buyed the tool but we don´t know for where start
thank you so much!
Roy

Stock PA-12 bungee replacement= Huge pain in rear end. We did a set this winter, I can see that this will not be something I will attempt in my later years as the installation is much like a 1 hour high intensity workout and could be very damaging to surrounding aircraft assemblys if improperly conducted.

Jim,

You only need to fly one way to Alaska... Ask Pierce, he would stay if he could!!!!:p

Sounds like you have a bunch of time into this bird, post some pictures of her for us!

View attachment 12 tool.pdf

Here's a PA-12 bungee tool drawing by Clyde Smith. I used a similar tool although it pivoted where Clyde places the hook and the hook for the bungee was where Clydes' tool pivots, I hope that's clear. You may have to modify the hook for a smooth install and experiment with the handle length and pivot position for good leverage. Hardest part of the job is supporting the airplane and holding onto the tool lest you have a new hole in your panel. Powder the bungees up good and install new bumpers while your there. Good luck, Jim

Attachments

• 12 tool.pdf
    616 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
JimC I believe I am in your neck of the woods. I have a tool you are welcome to use. If you need it give me a call. 662 588-3303

FYI

I had a special tool made up from a guy that a homebuilt that works on the field. Seems to work very well. I had three HD PA-18 bungees put on a side two years ago. once the unusual initial stiffness goes away they plane handles just fine. Two bungees a side on my 12 just didn't get it done. At max gross it squatted like a ruptured duck.

JimC I believe I am in your neck of the woods. I have a tool you are welcome to use. If you need it give me a call. 662 588-3303

Umm.... not that the PA-12 bungee tool info isn't welcome , but I believe Jim C. asked the question on this thread over 8 years ago. I'm hoping he got an answer when he needed it.

Umm.... not that the PA-12 bungee tool info isn't welcome , but I believe Jim C. asked the question on this thread over 8 years ago. I'm hoping he got an answer when he needed it.

Mike, depending on Jim's use of the a/c, it might be time to put new bungees on anyway...:) Take Care. DAVE

How many and what size bungees on a stock pa-12? three per side or two?

Check out Seaworthy's message above. Someone told me two was enough---WRONG---got to have 3 per side. A bit stiff untill you bounce a couple landings.

Back