• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Photo Equipment Questions

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
I have decided that as much as I love the digital camera, I would like to get a really nice fast lens for my Nikon N90s to do air - air and aerial work. I was thinking of the Nikkor F2.8 AF-S 80-200 E/D IF which is a well regarded lens. I have a crummy Nikkor 4.5 70-300mm which is slow and takes mediorce pictures.

There are some great shots out there, what are you guys using?

sj

I shoot Canon gear, so the Nikon lenses are unknown to me. I do know that a f2.8 zoom is fast, and in most brands is in either the professional or advanced consumer lens line-up.

Using a fast lens will allow the use of faster film speed, and/or faster shutter speeds which means less chance of blurry images due to camera shake. Like any hobby, speed costs money. I doubt you will be disappointed in the faster lens though.

You may know this already, but the sharpest images are taken with slide film. I like the Fuji Velvia 50, Sensia 100, Provia F 100, and shoot good ole' Kodachrome 64 when I can find it. In my opinion, the Fuji film produces more saturated colors than Kodachrome. Until the last year or so, all the images in Sport Aviation where shot on slide film. Now, most images are with the very high-dollar ($6K w/o a lens) professional digital cameras.

In the EAA video on photography, if I recall correctly the 80-200 range zoom is what they suggest for air-to-air work; for ground-to-air a 300mm; and ground-to-ground is in the 24 to 80mm range.

Thanks, Todd!

The Nikon / Cannon argument is one best left for another website. Here we only argue politics and the usefulness of tundra tires.... :)

sj

I hear that Nikon is coming out with the VR (vibration reduction) feature on the 80-200 f2.8 lens very soon. I have a 80-400 f4.505.6 VR lens and can say that the VR works great. You can hand hold at two stops less and still maintain sharpness.

Yes, but on the 2.8 it will be a major YEEEOCH! $$$$ wise...

I just bought a 2.8 80-200 on Ebay, just the AF not the AF-S, which is what I wanted but it is hard to find.

sj

Back