• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J-5 WINGS

TIM AYERS

GLENDALE AZ
OK HERES A QUESTION,
JUST GOT A J5 , WOODEN SPARS ON THE LT WING AND METAL ON THE RIGHT. WOODEN SPARS LOOK GOOD, WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS IN FLYING WITH DIFFERENT SPARS? UNIVAR SAYS THE WOODEN SPAR SHOULD NOT BE REPLACED WITH THERE METAL, THERE ARE MAJOR DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO.
TIM AYERS

I would guess the metal spar wing is a PA12 wing. I know that PA12 wings have been approved on a J5, but in sets.

I hate to be cruel, but if you have mixed wings, what else do you have? I hope whoever you got it from payed you a lot to haul it away, you may want to reconcider, before you get in to deep.

There is a J-3 here on the field with one wood spar and one metal. The feds here didn't have a problem with it. The ribs for the wood spar are different than the metal. Mark Erickson of Dakota Cub makes the ribs for the wood spar. http://www.dakotacubaircraft.com/frames.html I knew of a set of 12 wings. I can see if the guy still has them.

Steve

ACCORDING TO LOGS IT IS A J-5 WING REPLACED IN 1953, SEEMS SOME J-5 HAD WOOD SPARES AND SOME HAD METAL. J-5C HAD BOTH ON THE EARLY ONES. SEEMS STRANGE .
TIM

STEVE THANKS FOR THE REPLY, SEE IF THE GUY HAS THE 12 WINGS IF THERE RESONABLE(HAHAHA) I MIGHT BE INTERESTED. EVEN THO THIS IS A PROJEST IT WILL BE A LOT OF FUN
TIM

STEVE THANKS FOR THE REPLY, SEE IF THE GUY HAS THE 12 WINGS IF THERE RESONABLE(HAHAHA) I MIGHT BE INTERESTED. EVEN THO THIS IS A PROJEST IT WILL BE A LOT OF FUN
TIM

Back