• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

In About 9 Hours

Lawn Dart

Las Vegas, Nv
She was delivered to me three months ago. On that day, it was blowing about 20 with variable gusts to 28. The pilot that brought her in, awed me with his skills, but he was just happy to get her tied down. Needless to say, I didn?t get to go up that day. Ya, I was disappointed to say the least.

After the excitement of receiving my new Cub, and after all the visitors that stopped by had left, it was time sit down and really check her out.

There she sat, in her shinny paint and new glass, but wait?there?s something that needs to be fixed, and oh boy, I better fix that too, and on and on. I generated a two-page squawk sheet that weekend and my A&P hadn?t even looked at her yet!

After the weekend, my A&P showed up and said ? I really hate working outside at tie downs, why don?t you bring it over to my hanger so we can take a look at her?. Once it was inside, he said ?well, it fits pretty good in here, why don?t you just give me (a nominal fee) and leave it here? I should explain that at my airport, there?s a two year waiting list to get into a hanger! and he knows that, God bless him.

Now that I?m out of the weather we can really take a good look at her and we generate another two pages for the squawk sheet, that?s four pages of squawks! 4 pages!!!!

Time to get to work.
There was no Holy Cows, but there sure was a lot of Holy Shits! An example would be the short bolt that we found at the rear elevator pulley that was behind a closed inspection port. It was discovered after I cut open the port and looked inside and saw a bolt that was about 2 threads short of reaching through the lock nut. I reached in and removed the nut and bolt with my fingers and the pulley slipped out and fell to the floor of the fuselage. The result was about 8? of slack in the stick! I've got to tell you that after finding that, I didn?t trust a single part of the plane. NOT ONE SINGLE PART! Another good example would be the hodge-podge of bolts that were used to bolt the prop on!

It?s been three months now, and it?s finally signed off. I?ve been from the spinner to the nav light on the tail and back again. This is most likely (and I?m not bragging, I?m being realistic) the most thoroughly inspected aircraft on this airfield, bar non! Had I flown it on that first day, there?s no way I would have ever know this plane the way that I know it now, and I would have pitched a shit-fit come annual time when my A&P informed me of all the problems that he found ?hey it flys, what?s the big deal??

I?ve also been lucky in that I that I?ve found an old SuperCub instructor that?s going to fly in from about 75 miles away and take me up at 7:00 am tomorrow.

I?m nervous as a whore in church and that?s why I?m up late tonight typing this whole thing. I just can?t get over this nagging feeling that I?ve missed something. I expressed this to my A&P who simply said ?that?s a healthy feeling kid, just keep thinking that way and keep fixing things, then come next annual, all I have to do is a compression check?

I guess I?ll find out in about 9 hours.

Cavy,

We are giddy with anticipation to hear how it goes!

Thanks!

sj

Cavy, have fun, I'm sure you will. Sounds like you've got a good inspector/mechanic. Years ago, I was looking for an AI to annual my PA-ll, anyway, talked to this one fellow and he said, oh ya, bring her down and the log books and give me $35, I immediately eliminated him. I figured for $35 the only thing he would look at was the logbooks. I knew my plane very well, but I always did, and still do want another pair of eyes looking her over. A couple years ago, we had a J-3 brought into the shop for an oil leak. We just happened to notice that NONE of the bolts holding the landing cabane V or landing gear struts had nuts on them. Not a one, and this airplane had been flying that way, for who knows how long. Amazing what gets by some of these inspectors. Like anything, there's lots of good ones out there, and some bad ones. Have a Great Flight. :lol: Bet you;ll have a bigger smile then that.
Brian

Ya can't look too closely.........I bought a Pawnee a number of years ago in OK........first flight since it was recovered........got it home, tore it apart for a good inspection and found that neither of the strut to main spar bolts
had nuts on 'em.

WHAT AH SWEETHEART!!!
I think I?m gonna have to get her a box of chocolates and some flowers cause I?m in love! When she?s done with them, I?ll give them to the wife for letting me buy this thing.
Don?t you just love the angle of attack during those power on stalls? WOW!
I?ve got to stop being so damned ham-handed though. This ain?t no Cessna, she?s much more responsive then I expected. You guys can land these things in 200FT?, it?s gonna be a while before I?ll be doing that. We went up 3 times today. Morning flight was great, flat air and I got over the jitters, noon flight was so-so, 14 Kt gusts from the left, nothing like getting your cross wind intro ASAP. This evenings flight was total trash, air was ok but I?m brain dead.:silly:

I?m alive, really alive today. Thanks SJ, I probably wouldn?t have bought her if it wasn?t for your site.

Cavy,

You should be a writer! You'll make a darn good cub driver too! You got great humor, good witt and most important, (common Sense) I especially like the fact that you got an "experienced Cub driver" not just an instructor with a tail wheel endorsement.!!

Now you know why we all are so opinionated? If you don't own a cub, you really have little basis for forming an opinion for flying a real airplane.

A Cub is very forgiving, yet if not given respect will hurt you!
Oh, by the way you are very fortunate to have a wife that understands that a Man can not be a man with out a cause, NOW you have one! Life is good!

You are right about what gets by "ONE" set of eyes! I bought my cub, (highly modified, put together by a very finicky individual, signed off by an IA, (and when working on the the brakes I found that there were no cotter pins in the Rudder cable shackles and one of the castle nuts was only on by 1 turn?? Never stop inspecting your plane, (it is your life, you are insuring)

Have fun, post us a picture, and keep practicing!

Tim

Back