• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bi-wing Cub?

T.J.

Alaska
Am I the only one around who remembers the lower wing STCd for PA-11 or J3s and PA-18s? Aero-mod from Arkansas or Mo. I think. The STC is no longer listed.
They were a lower wing made from Piper ribs and short spars covered with aluminum. They were about 6-8 feet long. Suppose to decrease the stall speed of a Cub to 23 MPH. They also increased the useful load I think. They were used on spray plane in the South. The outer tip was long enough to reach to the lift strut attach point. Two vertical jury struts attached the outer tips to the upper wing at the lift strut attach points.
I've been chasing these things around for years. Found two sets in AK. One was used to haul gold from a mine in the McGrath area. The other set was in Fairbanks. I talked to a pilot who flew the set hauling gold. He said they worked great at getting out short. The disadvantage is, brush will play heck with them. I think I have a solution for that. Coors Light cans and a pop rivet tool?
Guess what? I received a call last night from the guy who has the set that was in Fairbanks. He wants to trade or sell them to me. I think I'm gonna go for it. I'll never be happy until I try them. Of course, if they are so great, how come they arn't all over the place?
Any Comments?

I saw what was reported to be the only factory PA18 bi-plane, (The STC was installed at the factory). It was a 135 and still had all the attach points on it. Unfortunately, the current owner was about to rebuild it as a standard PA18-150, so the only factory Super Cub bi-plane is probably no more. It was kind of like a baby cabin Waco.

Bi-wing cub

I remember seeing the aero mod wings on a Panhandle Eastern pipeline patrol PA-18 in the mid '60s the airplane also had the wittaker tandem gear. Never saw it fly though. If anything I think it would make great hangar talk.

saw one in Chadron NB about 15 years ago wings weren't on the airplane, just sitting beside it. Probably carries great load, but the speed must be horrible.

I know of two and one is still flying.

He takes the extra wings off and on as the needs call for.

bi-wing cub

I remember them from the 50's. A couple of them spun in, and I don't recall hearing much about them after that.

TJ, I worked on a Cub sporting the attach points on the fuse and brackets on the stock wings.

The guy was gonna take the bracketry off for looks, but I convinced him to leave them on, just in case.

The plane sold a couple years ago. So I don't know what stage it's at.

The owner HAD the drawings for the wing installation.

There are some photos at Atlees of when he was messing around with them. He said tall brush was an isssue, but they flew nicely at slow airspeed and maneuvering. Who know about the ones that spun in(?)

Let me know if you want me to see about those drawings.

Dave Calkins.

T. J.,

I ran an STC search for PA-18's looking for a left side swing up window. There is an STC SA683SW still listed for PA-18's to "Convert from monoplane to biplane configuration by adding all metal lower wings". It was reissued 10/20/94 to Noble Air Service, 6613 Noble Road, Jacksonville, Arkansas 72076

Mike

I never saw the plane myself, but I have heard of an Aeronca Champ converted to a bi-plane configuration back in South Dakota years ago.
I would like to see pictures of the bi-plane Cub if anyone has some.

Also, I once saw a Cub duster/sprayer working a field near my farm.
The plane was without a windshield, and must have been converted to a parasol arrangement.
Would also like to see pictures of this and other Cub sprayers if anybody has any.
Randy

This is a Picture of a SuperCub sprayer I found on the net.
Randy
bbc.thumb.jpg

Click Link Below For the BIG Picture
http://www.supercub.org/albums/Supercubs/bbc.jpg

Randy said:
This is a Picture of a SuperCub sprayer I found on the net.
Randy
bbc.thumb.jpg

Click Link Below For the BIG Picture
http://www.supercub.org/albums/Supercubs/bbc.jpg

FAA Registry
N-Number Inquiry Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N1906A is Assigned

Assigned/Registered Aircraft Aircraft Description

Serial Number 18-1739 Type Registration Individual
Manufacturer Name PIPER Certificate Issue Date 07/26/1982
Model PA-18-125 Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 50265526
MFR Year 1952 Fractional Owner NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered Owner

Name HOYER LARRY B
Street PO BOX 271
City FORT PECK State MONTANA Zip Code 59223-0271
County VALLEY
Country UNITED STATES

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Restricted
Engine Model 0-290 SERIES Category Agriculture and Pest Control

A/W Date None

bi plane

I talk to the faa in little rock a year ago about this noble the stc holder has been dead for some time. talk with the faa in dalles where the stc was cert. and that was like talking to a fire plug. you need to get it from his estate.

Stearman600,

If you are serious about wanting a set, I think I know where some are. PM me to let me know and I'll check it out.

John Scott

TJ,
I work with a fellow who used this mod when he was running an air taxi business here in Alaska. I don't remember what he said the good things were, but I do remember him talking about brush wacking the leading edge and with a set of wings that close to the ground he thought ground looping would be a lot easier.
If you want to get ahold of me off line, I will give you his name and number. He LOVES to talk planes and I think he flew this mod for several years.

Kelvin

I’ve got a set of biplane wings for my 90 hp J-3. When we got it fortunately we got the J-3 STC along with it. In discussions with my dad the STC reads something to the affect of, “…shall not use with an engine less then 90 hp.” So it must take a lot of power to keep the thing in the air. We are putting the wings on and putting it on floats. Other then this one, I’ve never seen a J-3 B.P. Anyone else?

Lippy

Bi Plane

I think there was a flying biplane in Conrad, MT about a year ago. It was for sale when I saw the add though.

Back