• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying Colors --PA18 Colors by the Year?

Rick Papp

FRIEND
Bristolville, Ohio
Did each year of supercub production have a color patern or were they custom by choice when they were ordered? I have seen many different red on white paterns but wondered if there was a "standard " patern each year before recover? Never Stay Level ......Rick :wink:

Rick, this would make a really cool poster or T-shirt!

If you found out the colors, we might get Dave Kirsten interested in coloring up some supercubs for us.

sj

I just got a copy of the Super Cub parts manual from Univair, and there is a chart that shows the colors used in each year from the beginning through the '70s.

Anne.

I will look in my Univair book and see if I can find it!

sj

colors

Great Anne! I will get a copy so I can check iit out . By the way

Anne , are you close to Monroe Mi. ? My wife and I fly there occasionaly to go to Cabela's . Great place for an air trip. Thanks Again, :D Rick

Yes, we're just north of Cabela's about 30 minutes. That's one of my favorite places for camping and fishing gear, and a good checkpoint on a southbound trip. That's when I call Toledo. How do you get over there from the airport?

The Standard Paint Chart is about the 3rd or 4th page from the front, covers years 1950-1973. It's just the colors used, not the pattern.

Anne.

Where can I get the patterns? I'm particularly interested in the pattern that has the Piper insignia/dart on the tail and the 2 stripes down the side. I'm just about ready to paint the fuselage, and other then pictures from this web site, I don't have any dimensions to work with.

John

Univair has paint scheme drawings on other ragwing Pipers but I don't know if they have them for the Super Cub.

Steve

Anne, I think if I remember corectley I got my Pa18-A the same time you got yours. Mine is a 1957 and the pattern is close to the same as yours. What year is yours? If you land at Monroe-Custer Apt., call unicom @15 minutes before arival,
they will call CABELLAS for a free shuttle to the store!!!!! About sa 15 minute ride with real nice drivers. Its a great time. We plan to go sometime and stay over at a motel for a two day adventure. Its about a 2 hour flight for us . we live on the Pa-Ohio border. Best regards , Rick :lol:

Back