• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying around Ohio State

N

NoFlapS

Hello all,
Jacob Papp here, I am a Student at The Ohio State University with a great interest in Flying. I have my private certificate, and wish to pursue more ratings. I am looking for anyone in the area who is looking for a flying buddy and if there are any opportunities to fly (towing banners or such). I do have experience with a PA 18-150. If anyone could help me out please e-mail me back at JJPapp101@aol.com Thanks for checking me out peer pilots!
:eek:

Jacob,

Best advice I can give for banner towing is hit the coast N.J. N.C. S.C. FL. in the spring. Many of the larger companies hire for the season then. The pay isn't great but you can pick up 400 to 500 hours easy in a summer season. Maybe even more with some of the companies.

You will need to get that Commercial under your belt. Things are changing rapidly though. TFR's have been and still are killing the industry since 9/11. Things are getting better but are far from back to the way they were. Actually, they never will be completely back to the way they were but they can still be a lot better. Insurance requirements are going up too (as well as rates). Some companies self insure the aircraft hulls. It use to be that you could get hired on with really pretty low total and tailwheel times. Some companies are beginning to up their requirements. There are several factors involved and some companies are better than others. You just have to start knocking on doors. Once you get in, it's a great total time builder and can get you a bunch of tailwheel time as well.

I wouldnt feel right if I didn't say this, banner towing exposes you to a higher risk. Not as much as some types of flying but very much more so than others. Things can go very wrong very fast and at low altitudes. Just like any other flying you ever do, you have to go into EVERY MOMENT of the flight with your mind 110% on the business at hand.

Hope this helps some.

Back