• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

91" prop, and Aeromatic

Dave Calkins

Anchorage, Alaska
Okay, I put the 91" prop thing up there to get you guys to check this post.

There may be some more about that later.

I wish to know of anyone's experience with the old Aeromatic two-speed prop.

I know a guy that had one and he said the thing worked great. He actually said he liked it for getting unstuck when on skis. And then he had decent T.O. AND cruise performance. I know that sounds weird, but I'll find out what he meant by that and get back with the word.

Anyone want to comment on the Aeromatic?

Anyone ever modify one with a different blade?

I'd be happy for any info.

I recall that either Wag-Aero or Univair held the design rights/TC at one time maybe even recently.

Anyone?

Dave Calkins.

I seem to remember that someone was going to try producing the Aeromatics again? I don't think it ever happened. There are still some laying around in the back of hangers.

Remembering that there is no utopia in the propeller world, the Aeromatic is a "compromise" prop... In concept it works great, in reality it will never replace a climb metal and a cruise metal... Univair did hold the TC for awhile, but now a fellow in So. California has it... No one has built new blades for it in years... The real negatives are:

1. If you have a power reduction under load (takeoff/climb), the prop will go to high pitch and if you need full power again you probably won't have enough altitude to lower the nose, increase RPM and flatten the blades... This was especially a problem with the 85 hp Swift...

2. As I said before, no one has produced blades in many years... The wood blades are attached to the hub with a large lag bolt... The years have not been kind to the wood blades and when the lag bolt has pulled the wood, blades have shed...

Would I buy an Aeromatic?... You bet, if someone would produce new blades...

Just my $.02 worth...

Aeromatic propellers

Well, as a matter of fact we used to have some aircraft in the Royal Danish Air Force equipped with Aeromatic props. These were the Danish KZ VII and X aircraft.
Eventually the Aeromatic props were grounded due to their propensity for shedding their blades.

Eric Preston has had one on his Clipper for years. I think he is in Sonoma, CA. His Clipper on amphibs has been in a lot of magazines lately. I don't know how to get a hold of him. Here is a post from a guy in the SWPC that just put one on "I finally got my newly overhauled Aeromatic prop on the Clipper this weekend. What a difference. Picked up 200-300'(from 500' to 800'/min)
climb on takeoff (at 4100'msl, 80 degrees) and 7mph more (110mph)at my normal cruise (2350rpm). Guess it was worth all the hassle getting it
overhauled. Not to mention it's a blast to mess with it fine tuning.
Jim Hainline, ASC 001
Clipper5916H

His email is clipper@cdsnet.net

Let me know if you find anything. I have been interested in this prop for years. I bid on one on ebay but didn't get it. The guy that did tried to sell it to me. It had a broken lag bolt. The old timers tell me they are a foot or so long

Steve

I am loking at a Skyblade 2 position prop off a PA-12. Any body know anything about them? I emailed Kent already.

PS. You are a character. Of course we come to expect that from the land of fruits and nuts. Sorry couldn't resist Cuby.

Steve Pierce said:
I am loking at a Skyblade 2 position prop off a PA-12. Any body know anything about them? I emailed Kent already.

PS. You are a character. Of course we come to expect that from the land of fruits and nuts. Sorry couldn't resist Cuby.

Steve, call Sensenich, they made it... With the Skyblade you have to have an oil control valve, unlike the Aeromatic and Beech-Roby...

I e-mailed Kent too, did you get an answer?... I haven't yet...

I have an Everel single blade prop, too bad it is only approved on the 40 hp Continental...

About the "fruit and nuts" thing... You guys are just jealous because we have the "California Girls"!...

aeromatic prop on PA-12

This isn't anything scientific....but in the early fifties my Dad had a PA-12-108 with an Aeromatic Propeller that he used to hunt coyotes with.
He stripped out the starter and generator and everything else he could to lighten it up.
He never quit raving about how great that propeller was for his purposes....getting out of tight places and after he was up in the air...had a great cruising speed ,too.
He was comparing it to the J-3's which he did a lot of hunting with also.
I wish there was an equilvalant prop for our lightplanes, today.
Maybe the Borer is better all round with more simplicity?
Randy

Cuby, Those CA girls will get you in trouble and take all your money. I got an e-mail back from Kent:

Steve,
Sensenich doesn't support the prop, they hardly admit they ever built
it. I think you have to have a hollow crank shaft to operate it since
it used oil pressure in the diaphram on the nose of the hub. Also, when
the diaphram leaks or breaks the prop goes into high pitch, could be
desasterous on takeoff.
Three weeks ago, here in western Nevada a friend of mine put an
Aeromatic on his RV-4/0-320 . He slung a blade on first flight, managed
to get it back on the airport, did lits of damage to his plane. The
prop had been stored in a hanger, here in Nevada for at least 20 years.
I saw it a couple of times in recent years and it looked real good. I
did failure analysis on the prop. 10 of the 15 lag screws that hold the
blade in the hub were already broken when he put the prop on the plane.
Skyblades were made the same way, that is, using lag screws holding the
blade in the hub. I would consider it risky at best. I don't know any
prop shop that work on them. Even though I have a few used parts for
them I don't have authority to work on them and I don't have any data on
them either.
I have an Aeromatic here that belongs to a follow back in NJ or
someplace. Tomorrow I will check to see of it will fit your plane and
if so maybe we can work something out.
Anyway I will look into it and see if it will work on your plane.
Kent

The Skyblade I found came off a PA12. Eric Preston is in Senoma with a PA16 on amphibs with an Aeromatic. He swears by it. Everyone I have talked to loves them. They are heavy and the blade thing is a problem. Maybe Kent will get that solved.

Back