• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

retractable skis

M1

FRIEND
Vancouver BC Canada
I am looking at getting retractable skis for this winter. I am looking for feedback on the different models and makes available. So far I have seen a couple of Federal models, Kehler and Aeroski. How about some comments from those who have used these types, or others.
:-?

I can't believe nobody has replied to this. My experience with hydraulic skis is in a Cessna, which I still own. Hydraulic skis are good at nothing except allowing you to land on a maintained runway, dirt strip, etc. Aside from that advantage, they are heavy, slow in the air, expensive to buy AND repair, they move your CG forward, and they are draggy in snow. I still use my Fluidyne's, but I can change back to Landis straights in a snap when I want better performance. When my 12 is finished, it'll be on straight Landis skis. One more thing that may not apply to a Cub. When Fluidynes (on a Cessna) are retracted, the plane is so noisy you can barely stand it. Prop noise is reflected back into the cabin. Anybody have hydraulics on a Cub? Do you agree or disagree?

I got AWB2500A hyd skis that I use with 26 in Goodyear tires. The CG is farther forward so when I land I just trim the nose up 2 extra cranks. Cruise is reduced about 5 mph with the skis up. When they are down they cause more drag. Only used them two seasons and havent had any problems yet. 1/4 plastic bottoms. Atlee attach fittings. The extra weight really hasnt been a problem for me even at 4000 msl due to the cold air temp. Im flying off a paved airport so they work great for me. Deepest snow I landed in was about 3 ft and they seamed to stay on top pretty good. Ive also landed in drifted snow so hard it was like cement and they stayed on. Never noticed any increase in noise. The snow here varies alot with the elevation so alot of times theres no snow at the airport but 5 miles away theres alot.

Ive been around straight skis since the day I was born and its alot of work with the straight skis depending on where you operate from.We had to pull the plane out of the hanger with a 4x4 and hand wench it back into the hanger. No electricity so we had to take the oil home every night and irratate my mom with the stink of heating it up. At least we had a hanger. I like being able now just to push my preheated plane out of the hanger jump in a go, land in the snow, come back and just taxi to the hanger and roll the plane in. True you dont get the performance of a straight ski but i can live with that.

no arument here! Just missing the ski flying!! most of my Ski flying was on straight skiis on my cubs! I used to put it away at night (for about 6 years) in my (heated floor) hanger by laying a track of 1/2" plastic as runners, I could push it in and out all by my self! My 185 was on 3600 hydraulics and they were the best! Expensive as hell, but well built, and if plumbed right with 850 tires they were next to now extra drag when up!

Just like tundra tires/ goodyears, there is always going to be an opinion pool? My personal opinion Straight aero 3000's were the best cub ski made! Hydraulics are only good on a cub if you are working the plane and need to land on the pavement or gravel.

I85-beaver, and everything else heavy is a pain in the butt on straight skiis!

Tim

flying from a paved strip

I am flying from a paved strip, so can not use straight skis. I already have a pair of federal 2000 straight skis, but I'll be waiting a long time for snow on a reliable basis.

All of the different versions of retractable skis, hydraulic and mechanical, weigh more than straight skis, and are expensive, and it looks like the wheel penatration are too much of a comprimise.

It looks like the most common are C2200's or the old AWB2500. Anybody out there ever fly with some of the other options like Kehler or Aeroski. Iy you have, how did they work?

Personal opinion: Skiis of less than 2500lb displacement will get you in a bind in a cub if you are loaded!

Tim

Ive flown with Aero Ski R2800s and was not impressed. The AWB2500 skis out perform them so bad its not even a comparision. I dont know what PA12 driver means by saying "hydraulics are only good if your working the plane" . Im not working my plane and they work great for me.

Sorry, The original post was for info on best Hydaulic skii for a cub? sorry to stray off the question.

My opinion is the federals work good if in good shape and installed properly, Just reconize that they are a compromise from straight ski performance.

Tim

(still missing ski flying of any type)

I have a 1947 PA-11 Cub Special with a Lyc. O235-L2C 115hp engine equipped with Federal AWB-1500 Hyd Wheel Skis. and I love them. I live in Michigan where in the last 3 years the weather/snow is so unpredictable. I have flow my bird with Straight Federals 1500, as well as AERO 1650's with Teflon bottoms. The teflon bottoms work the best, in that the prevent sticking to the snow as well as add a bit of capacity to the maximum weight. One disadvantage with Straight skis is moving the bird around in the hanger, as well as the on again off again depending on the amount of snow. I put the wheel skis on in November and take them off late spring. The Wheel Ski's i have now also have the teflon bottoms. In the down position my 8:50 wheels stick down about an inch. So when i taxi from the strip to the taxi way i can roll out without having to stop and pump the skis to the up position. Wheel skis are also a big advantage when you are getting fuel. Not many of the stips you can land on with skis have fuel trucks and hawling 30 gal of fuel in cans can be a pain. The deepest snow we have had the past 3 years has been about a foot. The guys in Alaska will Smile :lol: but they performed well. Some of the most fun flying has been with skis in the winter. Landing on the many inland lakes in Michigan has been great. You especially get alot of looks when you taxi up to a restaurant and jump out of a cub for dinner.
I'll try and get some pictures as well

Best Regards and good flying,
Jeff

Back