• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Installing Electrical System and Gross Weight Increase.

CaptFox

Justin, TX
I have a question for you all,

To install an electrical system and a gross weight increase to 1750 lbs on an older early model PA-18-105 Supercub does it require any STC's or field approvals or can it be done using standard drawings and what sort of paperwork would have to be done to keep it legal. It would be done at the same time as an engine upgrade with appropriate STC's for the upgrade of the engine.

I'm in the process of trying to decide on should I rebuild a Supercub Stock "105 Special" or put a few upgrades in, I know the opinion will probably be towards "LIGHT and STOCK with NO ELECTRIC" and I do not totally disagree with this and might rebuild it this way, but I would also like to have one of the "150 HP Supercubs" and want to find out what is available and how I would have to go about it with what I am starting from to see how involved it will be.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
David.

I think the Meyers STC only covers the 125 and 135. But I'm sure you could use it for a field approval basis, I've used this STC and it is the way to go. Electrics are on the TC so no problem there.

Here is a list of things the 105 will need to become a 150, this is off the top of my head from front to rear, and I'm sure I'll miss something.

prop
spinner
O320 with accessories
baffling
engine mount
cowl
boot cowl
windshield
caban
hydrosorb shocks
lower shocks
dual fuel tank system (if you don't have it already)
flaps (if you don't have them already)
the 4 extra tubes welded in behind the baggage
balanced tail (if you don't have it already)
full electrical system

Add up what you need, it may be cheaper to just buy a 150 ready to go.

With STCSA388EA you also need a CHT. I would put the electrics in. With the new light weight stuff you can get it down to around 40-50 lbs. After flying a cub for 22 years with no electric I think electricity it is amazing stuff.

Thanks Guys,

I did check and the Wag Aero/Meyers Stc does not appear to cover the "105" so I think i'm out of luck on that one, I am trying to clarify Cub Crafters STC I believe it does cover it, more money but easier than a field approval I think. It looks like I have a bunch more research to look into now, but this is a great start. I appreciate all the info and the lists. I know if I add this up It would have been cheaper to buy a flying one to start with! I enjoy building and flying I feel its a great accomplishment once complete and worth the effort to me.

T.J. Its interesting how you got yours approved or upgraded?, I might even look into a 135 if it could be done easier just by log entry & 337's, a buddy of mine up in Canada told me last night he loves the 135 because its got a decent sized engine and can still be kept quite light.

The TC does list an electrical System so that should be fairly simple and the engine I'll probably end up doing it with a CC STC but like to get my research done first.

Thanks again for your help this site is great!!!

David.

Unless you absolutely have to have electrics, I would highly recommending leaving your airplane alone. Those lighter lower hp cubs were the best flying cubs around. Maybe go to 125 hp if you must, but not 135 or 150 unless you are needing it for special type flying you are going to need it for. Then I would skip right up to the 160 hp. They shake rattle and grind way more than those old floater 105 and 125 cubs. I am assuming your 105 special is the type with the flaps. if it is the old Military 105 without flaps, just throw it away and get a new one. :lol:

Just kinda curious here.

Don?t get me wrong, I understand the benefits of a light plane, but if John Doe with his fat checkbook just walked out the general public and was looking to purchase a S-Cub, and two were sitting side by side, one with all the electric goodies and the gross weight increase and the other without. Would he be willing to pay more for the lighter or heavier Cub?

Before you reply, re-read the first 12 words of the opening statement.

Seems to me I remember a Piper Service Bulletin or something that stated it was approved to up the horse power on the lower hp Super Cubs if the fuselage was modified per the Piper fuselage drawing. Seems like I saw it it the Cub Club Drawing list. I will look. Anyone else recall. I was going to re-engine my L18C from the 90hp to 150hp but decided they fly to nice. I'll just have to get a 150hp Super Cub one day.

Steve

The beautiful thing about Cubs is there versitility. You can build them to suit your own needs for the environment you will be flying in. A full electric Cub with all the fancy goodies, or a stripped Cub that's light and simple are two very different airplanes, though both are very good at what they do. The important thing is to think what you will be useing the plane for, and build what you need. Never let anyone tell you that you "have" to have something, or you shouldn't have something. It's your Cub, build it for your own needs, and nothing else.

Thanks everyone for all the useful info.

I love all the differences of opinions on this website, thats one of the things that makes this place great.

MD, I totally agree with your comments, I guess that is why I'm asking for the info to decide how I will rebuild, As I would like the larger engine with electrics but its not a necessity for me, I'm trying to decide I should modefy what I have to to rebuild it stock and then upgrade to a different Supercub at a later date. I love to work on planes so the extra work and effort is woth it to me if I do decide to upgrade.

Steve, or anyone I'd appreciate any more input on the SB to upgrade without the STC, I checked on the Cub-Club website they do list a engine upgrade letter without STC from piper does anybody know how this is done or is it feasable?

Happy SUPERCUB flying to all.

David.

Lots of GREAT points here, by all of you guys.

Something else to consider if doing a complete "rebuild" is that the cost of covering materials is fixed, no matter which model you are rebuilding.

Whether it's a PA-18-... 95, 125, 150, or a Champ.

But when the thing sits on the ramp all fresh and shiny, and the fat guy with the wallet (is that the way Cavy put it?) comes along, the market value of the 150 will be greater than that of the Super Cub 95.

My point?? You've got better "Bang for your Buck", investment-wise, by building the bigger-engined Cub, with a higher gross weight.

I own a 799 pound -11 that I love. LOVE.

Last summer I finished assembling an -18-150 with a 160 and knew it was a good one within a minute of the first launch. When I was done with the first several hours of flight I had to hand it over to the new owner.

Would I trade trade him for the -11?

See you later, I'm going flying on a beautiful Alaskan day in the fall...If I can get my work done.

Will I go on floats? Wheels? Amphibs?......

...My wife says I'm the luckiest guy she knows.

Dave Calkins.

Would I trade him for the -11?

See you later, I'm going flying??

Ahh?..A cliff hanger?I love those kinda stories. :wink:

Seeings how we keep mentioning the Cub Club. I can?t find it on the web. Can someone post the link?

SHHHH! don?t tell SJ, I don?t want him to think I?m cheatn on him.

I got a copy of the letter from the cub club right here. Its a letter to J.A. Meyers from the FAA and Piper saying no STC neccesary to go from a 90hp to a105, 125, 135hp cub as long as the required equipment is installed per the TC. If you go to the 150 STC is required. I assume thats why JA Meyers got the 150 STC that wag aero now has.

So does that mean, If someone was to convert the 105 special to a 125 or 135 HP supercub via Log entry's, 337 and referencing the appropriate TC referances, then would they be able to use the Meyers STC's to increase the gross weight and install the 150 HP engine instead of the Cub Crafters since the Meyers one does not appear cover the "105" Any thoughts on this one? and what do you think the fed's would have to say about its legality if it was to be done this way? or maybe it be better just to pay the extra $350 for the CC one which can take any PA-18 into a -150?

Does anybody have a copy of the Meyers STC and paperwork available that I could get a copy of to see if it could be used on a 105 special before I'd have to purchase it as I dont think the people at Wag-Areo customer service know much about it and its applicability as I could not get any info from them the other day than all it applies to is a PA-18 125 or 135 but no specific details.

David.

Funny how these subjects just keep going round and round and round. Did you ever get your a/c figured out Capt Fox

Yesterday I saw a 160HP super cub on this site for $58000. Why don't you sell me your 95 HP Cub and use the proceeds to buy the bigger one?

There are lots of reasons for a 160, and quite a few favoring the C-90. I am looking for a PA-11 with electrics to satisfy sport pilot and the insurance company, but could get into a PA 18 95, since electrics would be possible. My FSDO is not currently doing field approvals, because they want to encourage STCs, so the attractiveness of type cert electrics is obvious.

This is an interesting discusion because I have a PA-18-105 Special. Somewhen it became modified in the 60s or 70s with flaps and a O-320 A2B. In the 90s it became completely rebuilt by Dan´s in Anchorage with a O-360 A3A engine with a STC from Pen Yan.

Could you imagine walking into your local FSDO with some chicken scratching on a couple pieces of paper and say you want to convert your old J-3 to a 180 horse swamp buster?
But if you went in and changed it to a PA-11, then came back next year and changed it to an 18-95 then came back and changed it to a 125 then a 150 and finally to a 180, you probably wouldn't get so weird of look.

Our PA-18 "95" was upgraded to 135 hp with log book entries only. At first 337's were done for the tail feathers & engine. But . . that opened a can of "worms" when the FAA looked things over. It was when they took on the new "posture" with 337's & STC's. In short . . the Harrisburg office returned the 337's and had the log book amended. (They also wanted to look at the installation & log books). Their rationale for book entry only . . was that we installed noting that wasn't on the Piper equipment list. Our "bird" was a delux model so we had both tanks, elec. and hydra-sorb units. Unless you bird is very sentimental . . . . it may well be cheaper to part with your 105 and buy more horsepower. Larry Ciszak

Kinda funny to read this old thread and realize that Capt. Fox won the Alaskan Airmen's give away Super Cub last year. Too cool. 8)

Steve Pierce said:
Kinda funny to read this old thread and realize that Capt. Fox won the Alaskan Airmen's give away Super Cub last year. Too cool. 8)

Yeah Way COOL..... :lol: Funny how things work out.....

The deal I'd been working on fell trough on the project I'd asked the question on previously... Its amazing what people will advertise and have something completly different when it comes to reality....

David.

Its amazing what people will advertise and have something completly different when it comes to reality....

Ben there and done that more times than I want to remember. Need a national board of aircraft inspectors to weed out junk before you travel across the country. Have had folks I met on this site do just that.

Back