• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sheet Metal Screws Falling Out

Crash

GONE WEST
Nikiski Alaska
Sheet metal screws are natorious for falling out. A trick I do to keep them in place is to put a drop of G.E. silicone on and around the screw hole, then insert the screw and tighten it down, just snug, they are easy to strip out. Wipe off the excess silicone that squeazes out from under the screw head with a rag. I use white on the wing root fairing and black on the black interior panels so you can't notice it. Crash

Mass Fallout

Hi Greg!

Its been awhile...
I've been doing that, and it's really cool, it works! I'ts kinda sad though, with all the hours of great vibration that old 0320B2B puts on the frame, I am still losing screws. I know, you don't all need to agree so heartily....
Cheers!
Andy

Loose Screw

Ya, you've got a loose screw, but it's not on your Super Cub. Crash

Loose Screw...

Thanks Greg...I can feel the love...
You weren't supposed to agree so pointedly!
How did hunting season go for ya this year? get anything? Just landed at your strip the other day, stopped to talk w/ Kelly Painter--guy with the silver 170 on the SW end of your strip...
I bought his PA-12 off him about 4 years ago...I'd really like to see your
-14 one day, I imagine you've got it done now?
Andy

Red

Andy, Got on two different moose and missed both times I'm ashamed to admit. Tried a new gun this year and couldn't hit a thing, I just sucked. First time I haven't gotten a moose since 1981. Going back to my old gun next year. Yes the PA-14 is done and I flew it all summer on floats. It's a great plane, very pleased with it's performence. Just took it off floats on Saturday and have it parked out front. Started taking the PA-18 apart the day after I got back from the moose trip. Really having fun now. Stop on by (fly or drive) if you are out and about. Take care! Crash

Just ran across this old post and had lots of time on my hands so here is my method if anyone is interested.Cut a little thin strip of clear neoprene hose and insert it in the subject hole.Then run the screw in beside it and before it bottoms out ,cut the remaining exposed part off and tighten. The hose is rather sticky and will hold that screw in for a very long time, tightly...

Just ran across this old post and had lots of time on my hands so here is my method if anyone is interested.Cut a little thin strip of clear neoprene hose and insert it in the subject hole.Then run the screw in beside it and before it bottoms out ,cut the remaining exposed part off and tighten. The hose is rather sticky and will hold that screw in for a very long time, tightly...

A small zip tie works well too

The object with the strip of hose is to insert it into the receptical so the screw goes in tightly against the hose material on one side and the hole/ metal on the other.allowing it to be tightened down and hold a panel in place where a receptical was not damaged/oversize

I use silicone if they are not oversized. They will not vibrate out. If they are wallowed out then i do the zip tie trick. I read the original post back in 2002 and have yet to have any issues with them coming out using silicone and good holes.

The solution is simple. And far less messy. Acquire plastic washers from Wicks or AC Spruce. 6,8 and 10 size. Use them on any SMS or MS. They will not back out once tight against the softer plastic. In ten years your airplane won't have ever increasing screw holes from departed SMS.

The solution is simple. And far less messy. Acquire plastic washers from Wicks or AC Spruce. 6,8 and 10 size. Use them on any SMS or MS. They will not back out once tight against the softer plastic. In ten years your airplane won't have ever increasing screw holes from departed SMS.

Maybe CubCrafters is using washers made from different plastic but almost all my flap seal retaining screws came loose in the first year of ownership. Caught all those before they departed the aircraft but missed one on the belly panel and lost it. (full disclosure - I had removed and replaced the belly panel twice since it was fitted by CC)

Maybe CubCrafters is using washers made from different plastic but almost all my flap seal retaining screws came loose in the first year of ownership. Caught all those before they departed the aircraft but missed one on the belly panel and lost it. (full disclosure - I had removed and replaced the belly panel twice since it was fitted by CC)

Interesting. I think I got mine from Wicks back in the mid 2000s. They are just soft enough so that the head of the screw gets a good seat and won't back off. I can see where that would not work if they are too rigid.

The thinnest weed wacker string in the hole when you put in the screw. Cut flush with sharp blade and it makes its own nylon lock washer.

Heavy nylon fishing line put in hole tighten screw then pull excess against head and it snaps off.Stuff I have been using is around 100# test clear nylon

Back