• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Polishing the Ports ??

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
I'm just curious to hear what everyone thinks of polishing the ports. Lycon is doing this as an option..........and I've heard is claiming about a 5 hp increase per cylinder............that would make a 160 a 180........might be a cheap way to go.........rather then buying a 0-360.......just curious, what you think...........thanks. "Brian"

To get more horsepower, you need more fuel. Porting may help, but the rest of the intake and exhaust systems would have to be able to efficiently handle more air, fuel, and exhaust. Or, you can spin the rpm's up, but that'll likely cause problems. It's the old drag racing problem. You can make 'em really strong, but not for very long.

Polishing Ports

I used to work on racing motorcycles and snowmobiles, this was often discussed. Some said the roughtness made the fuel and air mix better. Some said the smooth ports increased the flow. I did it on an engine and never noticed a thing, one way or the other. Remember, Lycon and others are first and formost, sales organizations. They compete with $300.00 over invoice for a factory engine. These overhaul shops are doing everything they can to survive. Look at all the gimmicks; "Black Edition", "Red Gold", "porting", "special balencing", "one man one engine", "special through hardening process". I checked with three overhaul shops about overhauling my O-320 B2B. They all said "around $15K". I got a quote from Air Power for a Lycoming "Factory Reman", remanufactured to new engine specs. Cost $14,500.00. I am convinced that I'd be crazy to overhaul, when the price is the about the same for a genuine factory reman. In my book, "SFRM" carries twice the weight over "STOH" when I am looking at a plane to buy. Crash

"Polishing" and "Porting" are two different things. Make sure you have their claim right.

I agree with Crash that the texture on the port surfaces may aid vaporization, and therefore, be a good thing.

I've also heard that airplanes with engines painted RED will crash.

A friend of mine swears that it has come true every time.

Maybe red and gold don't have this problem.

Dave Calkins.

David you are touching pretty close to home on that color thing! I might have to go paint some color on my Red plane!!

Cubs don't crash they just misjudge the softness of the landing spot!
Any snow yet on the ground?

Tim

Damn I miss putting on the skiis!

Snow line's about 5300' MSL as of last light today.

We've got another storm on the way, and it's bound to bring more warm air, so I'm sure it's rain for another week at least.

I love ski season, but am not sure I'm ready to let the water freeze up. We still got a bunch of 'em on floats 'til at least the 10th of Oct. or so.

Colors are sure pretty now, too.

Thanks Tim,

Dave Calkins.

Wow, Times are changing! I can look back in my logs and see that consistantly we used to put the skiis on by OCT 11th on Mirror Lake?

Yeh, nothing prettier than float flying in September/ Oct. Used to try to make a trip to AK Peninula and do some Rainbow fishing in early Oct. when the Salmon were gone and those 20 pounders would go back to hitting on "big leech, mouse, etc. flys". Remember a time or two getting caught and having to chip the Ice away to make a path on the lakes to get off with out filleting the floats! No fun, but worth it.

Have a great Fall!

Tim

I've always thought that Lake Hood gets iced for the season the 12th or 14th.

Maybe with Mirror Lake being a bit shallower, or smaller, or less deice runoff it gets hard sooner.

Still not consistently cold in the mornings, but it's right around the corner.

Know of anyone ever landing on the bench at the top of the face above Mirror Lake?

With the airplane light, and no wind, it's doable. Wouldn't be able to shoot the bear that I tracked up there once anyway...it's in the park. Will probably never get up there in an airplane again...it's illegal.

Speaking of hungry fish, my buddy with the heli. went up north to fly some Fish and Wildlife fish survey, and they put him to work when not flying at fishing for 20-24 inch arctic char. No one fishes in the area, north of the brooks, and he said he caught at least 100 fish a day, and released. His arm was tired every night. Paid to fly the heli, camping in the Brooks, fishing 'til your arm falls off.....so....ready to move back up?

Dave Calkins.

I've dealt with Lycon on flomatching the cylinders. I installed a factory reman O-470 that was flo-matched by Lycon in a K model Bonanza. The owner has had 3 factory remans. He bought the A/C in the early 60s and flys alot. He says the airplane/engine is smoother than it has ever been and runs cooler. Thats all I know.

Steve

David! You are cruel, cruel, and downright mean!!! I would come back up there just to hunt you down for all that homesickning talk about fishing for grayling till tired!

Clarence Lake used to be great for grayling also Cresent lake from a raft or sitting on the floats!!

As for the bench above Mirror Lake I have landed there many times! What a rush taking off as with no wind it can be minimal, just have to pointit toward settlers bay, pour the coals to it and when off the edge get ready to push the stick forward, drop 50-100 feet then it is smooth sailing! I moved several rocks and piled them up in a cone shape about 15 years ago? They used to be a visible reference to fly toward, I don't remember exactly but it seems that there was a rocky outcropping on the north side and you landed slightly cross hill to it (about 300ft usable uphill)?? check it out! bring a camera, and snap a picture or two and send them to me PM (don't want to see someone get hurt and ruin it for me when I (MOVE BACK UP)

PS: Crash, you could get some good cub parts not far from home if David doesn't do it right???

When I had my place at Flathorn (now owned by Bill Firmin) we used to have a regular supply of parts from folks that landed on the sticks in the channel?

Ok I am rambling, the rain stopped, going flying!!

see ya,

Tim

Yeah, I was young and dumb back then. Not much has changed,though.

I used the uphill (toward the East) that's about 300 feet South of the out crop. It's the smoothest place available. It's about 200 feet of usable, but the uphill helps to slow you, and also get you moving again for the TO in the other direction. Pretty much a carrier landing, and with that vertical face and flat top to the hill, I'm guessing the rotor turbulence could make it ugly if there was much West wind. I don't think your rock cairn is still there, maybe the wind took it.

I recall landing there in the late spring with out much room due to snow still on top.

My wife and I and friends fly our paragliders off this face, and have found usable thermal lift from the rocks below. But it's an hour and 15 minute hike.

Rained HARD!! here all night last.

Dave.

Sounds like fun, keep an eye out for the freightliner this summer! Be believing for a dry one!

Should be watching the termination dust moving down the mountain! Rain will soon turn to snow! Skiis will come calling and then wolf watching(politically correct), bird hunting and the peace and quite beauty of the winter (Northern Lights) still air, and no dust, mud!

Darn it, here I go again, getting myself homesick!

Later,

Tim

Back