• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

To Hydrasorb or Not To Hydrasorb???

gdafoe

FRIEND
Castle Well Airpark SE of Wickenburg AZ
What are the pros and cons of using hydrasorbs or not using them? I notice some have them and some don't. What do *real* SC pilots prefer? :wink: Any difference with extended gear or standard?

This place seems to attract opinions so lets hear some.

Gerald

Hydrasorbs dampen the shock loads imposed on the gear and airframe, and are stronger. I don't think anyone makes a none hydrasorb extended gear? They are worth having.

I was told that 18's were required to have them, J-3's and maybe 11's weren't. For off airport operations, they seem like a good idea.

In reply to hydrasorbs . . .Most of the early PA-18's didn't have them. Especially the 105 Specials, 135's and many 150's. They came as an option on the 95's . . . if you got the delux model (2-18 gal tanks,& elec.). They add some weight . . but they take the traditonal "crow hop" out of the landing in addition to what was mentioned above. They make it alot harder to make a bad landing. They even make me look like I can land. For several years our cub flew out of a cow pasture . . and it was anything but smooth. But . .we did better than many other cubs incl J-3's that landed there.
Larry C.

Back