• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Fuel use schedule....

Do you run cub fuel tanks dry (on a two tank plane)?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Heck no.

• Total voters

AKCub

Anchorage, Alaska
Hey,
Sitting here in Miami, a long way from anything that resembles Alaska. I have been hashing out some cub stuff with others in the same situation and....
Someone said that the "rule" is always run the right tank out or low first and then use the left tank for takeoffs and landings when you get down to min fuel ops. They were told that because of the location of the right header tank behind the baggage area it will have problems feeding at high deck angles.
My normal deal is (when I start with full tanks) run out of the left tank for 15-20 minutes just to bring it down out of the filler neck and then swap to the right tank until it is gone or low and then switch back over to the left tank until it I am done. It sort of covers the above mentioned header tank situation.
What do the rest of you do? Has anyone heard of the feed problem with the right tank when you have low fuel/high deck angles?
Thanks
Scott

On trips where fuel management is a big concern I run one hour from the right tank(including takeoff and climb), then one hour from the left, then switch back to the right and keep track of the time it takes to run dry.....I am then assured I have an equal time left to run on the left tank.

Scott:
On long trips where fuel management is a concern, I always run the first tank dry(right or left) and time it carefully. Then I make sure I'm on the ground a few minutes short of that time on the second tank. And I always fill it myself when I know it's going to be tight.
murph

Fuel Management

AKCub: You are right about running off the L.H. tank for landing turns and any steep left or right hand turns. The L.H. tank, header tank is set up to feed in both a left or right turn. I like to run a tank out till the engine starts to die then switch (you have about 5 seconds to swith before the engine quits completely). That way I know there is no going back to that tank and what I have left in the other one is all there is. I would reccommend running out the R.H. tank first. I have the headerless system in my other Cub and really like it now that I am used to it. I plan on putting it in my PA-18 that is in rebuild now. Crash

I haven't ever run a Cub (or any other plane for that matter) dry before... is there generally any danger of the engine stopping and not starting again?

BTW - my own fuel mgt technique is based on having a 30g atlee tank on the right side and a standard tank on the left. I figure the atlee tank has conservatively 3.5 hrs, so I fly it for 3 hours, then switch. After another hour or two, my butt is ready to land anywhere I can! I've been a little chicken of running out of gas on purpose, even in one tank but definitely recognize the strategy of knowing how many minutes of gas is available, and in exactly which tank.

Back