PDA

View Full Version : Propeller recommendations

Cub junkie
09-07-2002, 12:16 AM
I have a 74/53 Sensenich for my O-320 for my cub clone but would like opinions on the 80/44 wood sensenich that I see on a few cubs. It looks appealing as far as lighter weight but Im curious about the performance. I also would consider the Borer but the wood prop is looking good to me right now. My aircraft is exp. catagory.

Cubus Maximus
09-07-2002, 06:25 PM
For prop recomendations, write to Jim Drometer n Belle Plaine and he can give you all the pro's and cons of using them (distributer and STC holder) He is constantly testing the units. (carries 3 different pitches with him sometimes. 1 on the nose and one on each lift strut when heading out somewhere just to get a performance comparison.) Steve Johnston (Woe and Intrigue writer) has 2 of them. One on his float Cub and the other on his tundra-ski Cub. He's had great year-round success with the prop. He's also been doing some testing and found that the wood Sensenich 80/38 has about the same thrust rating as the Borer 82/41.

drometer@aol.com / 952-873-6659

Dave Calkins
09-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Hey, I don't have an opinion on the performance of the wood, but recall about 7 years ago one of these showed up.

It sounded like a great idea from the price and exhibited performance standpoint until it took some gravel.

That thing disappeared really quick and haven't heard anything more 'til now with this post.

Just a heads-up. Maybe these guys testing it have some real answers.

I'm still spinning expensive, heavy, but dressable aluminum. Keep it dressed, and the water erosion is limited. Utilize tail low take-offs and the gravel ain't too close to it. Beat snow with it, and the metal can be straightened by the local propshops.

For what it's worth. Until something worth more comes along....Composite, constant speed, that weighs half of the metal.....

Dave Calkins, Anchorage, Alaska.

FlipFlop
10-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Is anyone else flying behind an O-235-C1?... If there's someone out there, what prop are you running?... I have a 76x40 wood that actually measures around 72"... It not only doesn't look like enough prop, it doesn't feel like it either... I contacted Charley at Sensenich (wood) and he said they will build me a 76x46 for $1038. and 5 weeks wait... I'd just like to know what to expect before I throw the money down...

Crash
10-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Wood props: Stay away fom them if you fly in the Bush at all. They are very fragile if you run through any brush with one. A guide I know was really hot on them until he landed and rolled through some 1/4" thick low brush then took off and had the thing delaminate on him in the air, crash landed on a floating swamp...nice. They are effected by water, won't take a rock very well, and can't be landed in brush and tall grass. A Borer prop will just chop this stuff up. Most opinion here in Alaska is they are just too fragile to use out in the Bush. Crash

cubdriver
10-24-2002, 05:02 PM
Wood props: Stay away fom them if you fly in the Bush at all. They are very fragile if you run through any brush with one. A guide I know was really hot on them until he landed and rolled through some 1/4" thick low brush then took off and had the thing delaminate on him in the air, crash landed on a floating swamp...nice. They are effected by water, won't take a rock very well, and can't be landed in brush and tall grass. A Borer prop will just chop this stuff up. Most opinion here in Alaska is they are just too fragile to use out in the Bush. Crash

I agree 100%. Wood props are no good for bush work. I have tried them and they are no good.