• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

weight and balance

cubdrvr

SPONSOR
YKN(mother city of the dakotas)
Is there a website that offers w&b worksheets? Seems I found one a while back and lost it...........

drv:
Yea, I've got one some where. Let me see if I can find it for you. Busy Moose hunting so may be a couple days.

I can send you a disk I have with ADs and Type Cert. Data sheets etc. It has a section with a W&B Worksheet that calculates everything and even has an equipment list. You can print it all out when you are done.

Steve

Steve............I sure would appreciate that. I used one from the net that did all the calcs but can't find it anymore. Is this a disc I can keep or do I make a copy and return yours? You can email me at squawkident@dtgnet.com and let me know.
Address is:

Dave Tunge
901 Broadway
Yankton, SD, 57078

See ya in April................

You can keep it. I get my AD research data on CD once a month and I save the discs for occasions like this. I'll send it out with the password. It has instructions on the disc but I'll put a quick note of how to get to the W&B.

Steve

I have an Excel spreadsheet I made for W&B if anyone is interested.

I'll post it when I get round to it.

sj

Actually, I downloaded the TCDS and am working on updating the W&B so it is clear how to use it (and making the graph more purdy).

If the CG range is +14 to +20, is that fore and aft of the datum, or fore and aft of the empty weight CG? How does one differentiate one's datum from a hole in the ground?

sj

Steve........the datum on my cub ( I think the same for all) is an imaginary point ( hole in the ground) 60" forward of the WLE ( wing leading edge). Don't know why Piper did that.......but the CG number is figured in inches aft of the WLE and is different if operated in Normal or Utility Category.

sj.........I've had someone else send me Excel and all I get is routed to a dowload page.....same as I got with yours. Any ideas?

Thanks Steve! Now I can find out if I'm underloaded, or severely underloaded! :D

Anne.

Steve, I think they did that datum thing out 60 in forward so all items would have positive moments. No getting messed up using some positive and some negative figures. Jeff

What's all this weight and balance stuff you guys are talking about? Just stuff it in till the door won't shut, throw something out, latch the door and take off. Weight and balance is for spam can drivers. Crash

You're right Crash........with the exception of the local federales. For some unexplained reason they require a w&b change on some 337's.

Lots of Cubs use the wing leading edge as the datum, everything forward of it is negetive. It could be placed anywhere, as long as all the calculations are done correctly. Most of the flight manuals give the CG ranges aft of the leading edge. If you have one of the Cubs calculated at 60 forward, you need to subtract the 60 to get the numbers to corespond with a WLE calcutated flight manual, or add 60 to the flight manual. L21 flight manuals were calculated 60 forward, if I remember correctly.

Yeah Mark.........and my original, for some reason, shows calculations figured from the WCL ( wheel center line) where you have to subtract 62.5 inches.

I’ve modified the weight & balance program that Steve gave us, to suit my PA18-150.

http://www.supercub.org/upload/PA18-150WB.xls

The sheet is protected so that I don’t make accidental changes. To unprotect the sheet, click on Tools, Protection, Unprotect Sheet. There is no password.

Don't forget to enter your empty weight and CG....really empty...NO OIL!

On the left margin, you can click on the tab for line #9 and hit delete to get rid of that item if you don’t have that system.

I put in some warnings so that I don’t enter bogus data. You can change or delete the warnings by clicking on the cell that has the warning, then click on Tools, then click on Validation. The sheet has to be unprotected to do this.

The info I used for the changes came from the TC, flight manual, and my WB (May 2002), but, as always, you should confirm the accuracy for yourself. E-mail me if you need help making changes.

Lawn Dart,

Got the email, it should be working now!

THANKS!

sj

CAVY,

I am cracking up at your little pop up messages in your weight and balance spread sheet.

However, one is a little too restrictive. 8 quarts is the MAXIMUM oil and 2 quarts is the MINIMUM oil in the lycomings. 6 quarts is considered standard and most planes won't keep more than 6 in them without spraying it on the belly.

So, if you are going to put in more than six quarts, just put it in a household sprayer instead and spray it on the bottom of the airplane.

sj

Tried to meet the needs of the many with the words of the few. By all means, feel free to change the warnings.

Most of the A&Ps that I?ve talked to (the ones that don?t clean airplanes) say that you should launch with about 7 Qts of oil and expect some ?puking?. Please note that one quart of oil equals one quart of Simple Green and 300 gallons of rinse water.

One of the Service Bulletins from Lycoming states that you should run 7.5 Qts and another states that you should never run less than 2 Qts. I was torn between the info, so I restricted the entry to 7.0 to 8.0 Qts.

Thanks for fixing my messed up attempts at the upload.:oops:

What I have heard is the upper location of the cam on Lycoming engines ensures you will most likely get blowout thru the breather if you fill the oil sump. With a nose high attitude with power, as in T/O and climb, the oil in the sump still remains level and the cam acts as a mixer in a blender whipping the oil into a frothy mess which is easily blown out the breather tube. If you leave the oil level at 5-6 qts or less the oil level doesn't reach the cam so it stays in its normal state.

Back