• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cargo Pods

Greg Niesen

I had a cargo pod made by Bill Firman installed a few weeks ago and have to say it really makes the PA-18 much more useful. You can put all the heavy stuff in the front of the pod and it's right under the pilot's seat. This is good since the arm is only around 12 in this location. The plane flys like you have no baggage and the access to your baggage is much better. For some strange reason it also flys about 5 MPH faster. I held off putting one on since I think they look funny, but after having one I think it is a better way to go instead of an extended lower and upper baggage. The next PA-18 I do, I will put an extended full width lower baggage mainly for sleeping in and forget the upper baggage to save weight and use a Firman cargo pod.

What's it weigh and what's it cost? Does it bolt on with straps like my belly tank? John

I have had my Firmin pod for about 10 years or so. I have to agree with Greg about the difference in preformance. While I didn't gain the mph you really cannot tell that it is there. They are mounted with two straps connected to the lower longerons with adel clamps. Bill has made many improvements since mine was made. Originally mine had no top. These pods weigh about 15lbs. I could go on but I will say the pod is one valuable mod.pak

cargo pod

This sounds like a nice cargo pod. Where is it available, and could you post a photo of it.

Cargo Pod

The new model with the top weighs about 15-17 lbs. I had a rear door option installed for another $100.00. It allows you to haul long stuff like half a dozen 16' 2x6's. They run around $1,000.00 to $1,200.00 uninstalled, without clamps, straps or turnbuckles. The FAA quit approving them on certified aircraft just after mine was signed off. Bill is going through the process for getting them certified but it might be a while and the cost will be a few hundred more.

I have know Bill for years, and he is a real straight shooter and probably one of the Best 12 pilots I know. I have a neighbor now that lives down here in WA and he just put one on his PA12 and loves it as well. I looked at the quality and I was impressed!

As far as I had heard bill's pod had yet to get an STC and must be field approved?

It mounts identical to the "Sullivan/ Landes belly tank/pod's".

Tim

One Other Thing

The pod front strap mount uses your rear landing gear leg pivot bolts to attach to. The rear strap uses clamps aroung the lower longerons like PAK-man said. For guys with standard fuel tanks, you can fit three Septer 5 gallon plastic fuel cans in the pod and still have room for a lot of small stuff. This would give you 51 gallons of fuel for your long trips and it's not in the cockpit with you. The Septer cans are the only ones to pass my jump test. Fill them up, lay them on their side and jump on it with both feet. Not a drop leaked out. They make three models of 5/6 gallon cans. 5 and 6 gallon wide short can and 5 gallon narrow tall can. Get the tall narrow 5 gallon can. AIH carries them.

gas cans

Those tall cans are just too ugly. I take it you have to lay them on the side to fit them in the pod. How about using using boat gas cans, they might be flat enough to stay caps up.

Cans

I don't think the opening is big enough to get a boat can through. I think you could cram a bunch of 2 1/2 gallon cans in the pod. I like the tall 5 gallon cans because I can rest the end on my shoulder when pouring in the gas. The other cans are too short for this and you need both hands to hold and tip them. You're right, the Scepter cans are kind of ugly, but what do you expect of a product made in Canada.

Pod

Hi
I'm also looking at the possability of a pod for my PA18. Can you please give us the name and phone number of the guy making the pods. Thank you

Cargo Pod

Terry Holliday (Holliday Aircraft Services) seems to be the main outlet for these pods. He is also the one that has got most of the pods signed off and is working with Firmen to get them PMA'ed so they can keep installing them. Terry is at (907) 688-4337

I have a 32 gal belly tank. I know the approval process is very specific, but would getting approval for a cargo pod be any easier if I already have a belly tank approved? Or, would there be a problem with having both approved when obviously only one can be installed at a time? I'm pretty remote, so on long trips the tank is great, but around home the cargo pod would be better.

Does anyone have experience-paperwork for converting a Sorensen belly spray tank to a cargo pod?

Boz:

I've long wanted to ask the same question about the Sorenson spray tank. It seems that it would be a natural for a cargo/fuel tank. I however don't know about the weight. I think it is somewhat heavier. I think they were 60 gal. capacity. Looks like you could unskin the top, glass in a divider and a baffle and then a door and have a good setup. Where am I wrong?

Any comments gurus?

murph

Those of you with Firman pods, what is the max weight that can be loaded into the pod?

Murph,

I'm still looking at the Sorensen tank. I don't know what it weighs, but it is heavy. It was certified to hold 382 lbs though, thats a lot of extra stuff.

Boz

Mark........I used to spray with a cub. Sorensen tanks(made in Worthington, MN) came in 65, 75, and 90 gal. The big one would hold 700#. Pilot at 180, fuel at 216.......GW with the A model was 2050........do the math.
I found that the 75 was a good tank. The 90 loaded on a hot day with the little prop was too much, but would make a good combo tank for gear, etc........we used to cut out an access panel , strap one on in the winter and stuff fox in 'em.

Dave:

Could you put the tank on the cub without returning it to the restricted categoryas long as you stayed within the 1750 weight limit? Could you get a field approval?

There used to be a few of those old units lying around, but I don't know where to look now, do you?

murph

What's a field approval?
I think I could locate one or two.........not sure if the friendlies would field approve it now......... and I'm pretty sure it needs to be ag related to fall into a specific restricted cat.
2 things to remember Murph:
1) It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
2) It ain't illegal unless you get caught.

I think I'm looking at a 75. The 382 lbs comes from the PA18 TC. I could probably get a field approval pretty easy, seeing that it is already approved to install for spraying. I'll have to put it on a scale, it seems heavy picking it up. It may make a better super long range tank than cargo, if it can't be lightened up. It also looks shallower than most cargo pods, which would limit what could be put in it.

Dave, you're right. That's why I usually stay in the sticks. I've had more trouble with airplanes and highway patrols than I have with airplanes and FAA types.
murph

The Sorensen's are baffled tanks which doesn't help the weight problem. I think if you cut off about the last 1/3 (which, like you said, is too shallow for anything) and reformed it, it might make a pretty good cargo pod. I've still got the old attach hardware if you need it. A buddy of mine made a coyote hauler out of steel rod.....it looked like a small animal cage mounted on the belly. Worked even better than the Sorensen cuz the pelts would cool better......se sometimes had "slippers" when the heat wouldn't dissipate inside.

Dave:
I'm not up to speed on the terminology, but in the vernacular of the layman, a "slipper" has some negative conotations. It probably doesn't smell too good, either.

What about dividing the Sorenson in two for fuel/cargo. CG becomes an issue on how it's divided. It seems to me that you could just isolate the bottom 18 gallons of the tank when in level attitude, and glass it off as a separate compartment. Then use the top remainder as cargo. The bottom should keep CG within the envelope and the top 55 or 60 gallons of space, should provide a very roomy cargo space. The upper rear would be great for things like fishing rods and small skinny objects, so why cut it off. It's probably more aerodynamic as-is.

This seems like a really good traveling unit. Might be more trouble than it's worth, especially if you want to keep it legal. If this conversion gets too complicated, it might make more sense to just buy the manufactured unit.

murph

your going to an aweful lot of trouble to hauld yottees, with a $1 bungee you can haul 5 on each wing strut and I have never hauled out a fur and feathers cop yet, they make good bait for the next run at the dogs?

The only benifit to using a sorrenson tank would be if it was free. They are built like a tank but the Landes tank mounts in no time, is STC'd and I am sure Bill will get his approved soon. They are still getting them Field approved in Anchorage by the right guy.

Let's go fly, let the shop guys build the tanks?

Tim

Murph, ever hauled moonshine in those tanks?

Tim..........we also made big "safety pins" from spring steel.....hose clamped 'em to the jury struts and could haul 4 on each wing. I sure miss those "good old days". Hell, the huggers are looking to put the prarie dog on the endangered species list...... on one trip to Rapid City this summer I personally witnesssed about 10,000 of these rare creatures.
Shoulda took some pictures so our grandkids will know what they look like.

cubdrver, At this rate we will have to put on the small tires, take our bike to the airport, run the cub on 2 cyldrs to save the planet of fuel and fly only at or above 10,000 feet. Why just the other day I saw a small patch of clearing in the trees? I think we are all going to live in the dessert soon?

Back to the subject of Belly Pods? I inspected one of Firmins the other day and it was a real nice unit! If I didn't have a "freightliner" I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Tim

Tim:
Does Firmin have a website or any way that I can look at his pod? Does he have one with fuel and cargo?
murph

Murph, I haven't talked to Bill in quite some time, I don't know to answer your question. I think that Terry Holiday (phone number) on a previous post is working with Bill and would likely have pictures. Terry is located on the Birchwood Airport.

Maybe Crash could check it out and post some pictures if possible. The pod looks alot like the landes one, and (no) is the answer about the combo/ pod.

Tim

Excellent point TJ............you'll need to refinish the inside. Tiny threads of fiberglass can separate and clog your fuel line or strainer. I had this happen once with an old tank.......plugged all my spray nozzles.

Back