• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NEW WINGS

aceherks

Middleville, NY
After a really bad aborted uphill take off :cry: I have two damaged wings and other damage. I either need to rebuild these wings or buy a new set. Since the takeoff performance was less than spectacular with stock wings, 150 hp and 8241 prop. I wonder if something like the leading edge Dakota wing might be in order. It just didn't perform like my last supercub. :eek: Previously my IA did a static check, rerigged wings, etc. and said some planes are just dogs. I want to stay certified, not give up any aileron authority, and get much better performance on takeoff. I understand lighter is better but my question at the moment is limited to the wings. Any good advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

You had close to the ideal setup before your mishap. A 150 hp with a 8241 prop will do about as well as can be done. I would rebuild the wings and go on from there. The only slotted wings that I am aware of come from Dakota Cub and I don't think they are certified.

I have read what I assume is the ntsb report on your incident
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20020508X00644&key=1
and would guess that the wings were not a significant factor in the incident.

Doesn't sound like the wing was at fault. Not knowing the strip it is hard to tell? You are right about how some cubs fly compared to others? You can't hardly beat a stock cub with out added weight. I fly everyday with a friend that flys a 78 stock cub and we routinely get into and out of less than 300 ft at sea level. It sounds like the quartering cross wind may have been more than you were competent at handling and it could have been, as is often the case, also "rolling" with a rotor affect? The only mod that I can recomend that is a know brainer is the VG's and perhaps extending the flaps into the fuselage. Many new pilots also use 2 notches of flaps on take-off and in most instance the maximum lift(after leaving ground effect is obtained with only one notch? Nothing beat practice.

Trust me I have been surprised on occasion with more than 5000hrs in PA18's.

Good part is you weren't seriously hurt and you are eager to get back in the saddle!

Tim

Univair ribs are STCed. I'm not sure when they got the STC for the stamped ribs.

Dakota ribs are PMAed.

Piper doesn't supply ribs anymore, and probably never will again.

Back