• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tundra Tires

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Ok, I had 26" Goodyear's put on today with the CC STC and I LOVE THEM.

They solve the toe brake over braking problem, and they make just about everything a runway...

sj

Pictures below..

Before
197T1.jpg

During
1each.jpg

Decisions Decisions...
upick.jpg

Ahhhhh
newlook.jpg

Steve is it possible for us to post a photo inserted in the message or is that only something you can do as the admin?

If it is possible please let me know as I would like to be able to put some detail photos of mods up on the sight, IE: drawings/ explanations etc.

Thanks for the great site!

Tim

Tim,

I am right now migrating to a new server, when I do, you will be able to do that. The only way now is to include a URL from YOUR server as Dave does on the pictures he posts.

sj

Tim,

I am right now migrating to a new server, when I do, you will be able to do that. The only way now is to include a URL from YOUR server as Dave does on the pictures he posts.

sj

Thanks Steve, I'll look forward to it! Enjoy the new tires! Around there they will most likely do well for you. They are to narrow and hard for the really soft stuff, for that you need the true tundra tires.

Tim

GY Tires

Steve...it's starting to look like a real Cub now. Just need the glass door and safety cables and you're all set. Well, I suppose you need a dry river bed or two as well....Looks good! Brad

I know, I know. I definitely have been thinking about an upgrade since this thing is paid for. Have not figured out how to broach the subject with my wife...

"You see honey, a plane without flaps is really very dangerous, and with only 135hp, I could get myself into trouble. The borer prop would get me right out of those tight spots like the 8000ft runway where I keep the airplane, and what with all the gravel bars poping up in the middle of these midwestern corn fields, I better get the 31" bushwheels just in case..."

sj

Oh yeah.............

Right on Steve..............justifying airplanes is kinda like justifying all the firearms. The wives really don't know one from the other........BUT THEY CAN COUNT.

'Nuff of that stuff, guys. I'M the wife, and the happy new owner of a Supercub with tundra tires and 160 hp engine. It took me about 3 years to convince my husband, a non-pilot who would reluctantly fly with me occasionally, that we really needed our own plane. Be nice, and they eventually come around. He bought it for me! :D

See, it is a good thing that one spouse or the other is not that interested in airplanes, otherwise there could be trouble!

Does your husband know how many airplanes you have? You see, it works either way...

sj

Yes, he knows how many planes I have - just one. But I'm also a member of a local flying club that has a couple of Archers. He likes those because he can use the instruments (he navigates for me), and he can bring along as much stuff as he wants to (ie, lawn chairs, guitar). I may have to do the extended baggage thing in the Supercub to keep him happy. As for navigation, charts and a GPS!

These look a lot like Schiender's conversion, with smaller tires. Thy were the rage in Alaska a few years ago, and a few cubs still wear them, but most of the other planes that had them are somebody's boneyard
Carl

The website talks about the reduced sidewall. Sidewall is a good thing in a tundra tire, certainly one of the attributes that make the A'streak such a good tire.pak

tire pressure in 26" goodyears

Any body know how low you can run the tire pressure in 26" goodyears before they start spinning on the rims?

You can most likely run them down quite a bit if you do as we used to do (we used to drill through and tap the "hub cap" holes in the wheel to allow for a screw with a point on it to slightly dig into the bead area of the tire (preventing) it from spinning.

Note of caution: If you reduce the pressure on the tires you may roll them off to the side and interfere with the brake caliper? also drilling the holes out on a "cleveland wheel" would technically void the STC and would need a field approval from FAA?

The Goodyears weren't designed to be a true tundra tire and really don't have the flex necessary to be one.

Tim

Goodyear 26

Hey, I ran the Goodyear's for 7 years and kept anywhere from 8 to 11 pounds pressure in them. Flew off a lot of lakes in the winter and never tapped the Clevelands as Tim recommended (I'd probably do that if I had to do it again). I once had the right one go flat on me while taxiing merrily along at about 7 mph (45 degree's out) and not touching the brakes. :-? Weird. I don't think it spun and pulled the valve stem out. It just blew. Again - weird. Sure liked and used them fairly hard for what they were. A lot better than an 8:50x6 and worth the money if you don't use it for total hard core river rock, log, deep sand and mud flying. :robot:

Brad

(As Tim mentions, true tundra tire flex is needed for these operations)

goodyears? not really tundra tires

Ok, just what are the 26" goodyears good for if they don't make very good tundra tires. If you run them as low a pressure as possible without spinning the valve stems out, how rough would the terrain be before they were going to start causing problems?

The Alaska bush wheels look great, except the cost just puts them completely out of reach.

If the Bushwheels save you from just one nose-over, they have paid for themselves many times over. The Goodyears are for "looks", the Bushwheels don't "look good", they are for real.

I use both 850s and 26 Goodyears depending one what time of year it is. The 26 Goodyears work great for were I am landing. Allot of stubble fields, cow pastures, grasslands, tall grass and the gravel river bars. Ive posted some pics in the pics section of the gravel bars. I dont land were there are boulders like in the Super Cub vid. In the spring I use 850s because the river is to high and the fields are usually to muddy and the grass is short. I fly off a paved airport. To me the Bushwheels are for looks. However I will probably get some Bushwheels just for looks after I get my 18 gal belly tank/cargo pod, and my wife gets a second job.

Bushwheels don't belong on pavement. I land on dry gravel bars, stubble fields, and cow pastures with 8" tires. The Bushwheels are for when you are landing on the unknown, that is where they pay for themselves.

Thats why I dont have them ( pavement). If I did have Bushwheels it would be just for looks.

Don't want to start another Rant and Rave! Myself and others that fly into "unimproved" areas in many states will attest to the fact that the Goodyears 'ARE NOT TUNDRA TIRES'. As far as I know there is no tundra anywhere but Alaska and Canada on the North American Continent? I can tell you this (help me out here AP/IA's) if you value the longerons, tail section, you won't take your cub into any "real rough stuff" without a tire that can absorb the shock of the terrain. The Goodyears don't do that! Seriously those of us that fly into the rough stuff will let the air out of the "tundra" tires until you can put your Knee into the tire abou the size of a honeydo melon, that is what you can expect if you come up againt a rock log or fall in a hole! Trust me you can't do that with a Goodyear tire period!

As MD said you will go on your nose with anything less than a true tundra tire!

Don't get me wrong they are horrible on pavement, not necessary for grass that is not more than 6" and has no gopher holes, and if that is where you fly the less expensive Goodyears are the best value!

As for Looks I agree, I went to a Maule fly in and also have seen many, many SC's that had all the mods and would never need any of them much less the tires. Kinda like most 4 X 4 pickups that ain't never been in the sticks!

Have fun where ever you fly, just don't be confused and end up bending your bird! "YOU CAN'T FLY IT WHEN IT IS IN THE SHOP"

Tim

PS: if you plan on flying to Alaska and "then" going anywhere with us this summer other than to Improved strips, 0ne of the minimum requirements will be that your cub as at minimum 26" real tundra tires and the pilot has at least 250 hours of time "off airport" with them.

Some of you should get a start on that perhaps??

Trust me there is a big difference, I will try to post some cllose up photos of some of the terrain, (little help here Crash, MD, David, Redbaron and others?

I agree with both of you, the problem lies with the "Experience thing" and the cost of getting the experience? Personal choice is a great thing! No arguement here. I used to buy a lot of cub parts from those that got "experiencedddddddddd". (me included have found the rocks to be a lot bigger when I got down then I thought!. check out a couple of the pictures in the gallery! 26" Goodyears would have left a wreck in a romote location! But hey most don't go there and that is ok too!

Tim

I landed in a field last saturday to shoot prarie dogs that was so ruff my headset fell off my head. Maybe I do need bushwheels? When I was a kid i was riding with my dad in his PA11 with 800X4s and we landed in a hayfield that was so ruff it knocked the ELT on but the gear stayed on.

You guys are good sports and I like those that take risks! come join on up and we will challenge each other! Half the fun is putting them back together, (takes an understanding wife) (and or Husband right Anne?)

Tim

Back